Broken By The Darkness In My Blood

Escaping Can Mean Finding Something Unexpected

The club was lame. Weeks of begging to be able to go where my friends went, do what my friends do, being allowed to do normal things, all worthless. My friends hadn’t even bothered to show up. I knew they never liked me. That was the only thing my brothers had ever been right about. I have two brothers, Jet and Brody. They’re twins. I know they have weird names. Apparently they’re named after things that are important in their personalities. Jet is named after the gemstone Jet which symbolises protection and Brody’s name means muddy place. I never quite got that. My name is Sapphire because of my sapphire blue eyes. It also means sincerity and faithfulness. That fitted with my loyalty to people even when they treated me terribly. My brothers always thought they were right about my life and they tried to protect me but it never worked. If I was going to get hurt then I would. The only thing my brothers are ever right about is music. They were the ones who turned me away from the poppy stuff my friends were into and got me into decent music. Since then I’ve been moving further away from my restrictive friends. This club was a last ditch attempt to stay friends with them.

I looked around the club. There was nothing for me here. I found my way to the exit. Giving one last look behind me, I left. I didn’t want to go home and give my brothers a chance to lord over me about how they had been right. That’s if they were home. I had grown up with people never being around at night. I never thought twice about it. It was just something that happened. So instead I went to a children’s playground. I sat on a swing and let tears fall from my eyes. I didn't fit in at the club and I didn't fit in at home. Who would I ever fit in with? Did I even want to fit in? I couldn't stand being in the park. As I got up to leave I hit something.

"I'm sorry. I didn't realize you were there."

The voice was male. I looked up and saw his face. He was gorgeous. He had long black hair that fell over his face. It covered his eyes and when he pushed it away I saw his eyes. They were hazel. I fell into the dark pools of his eyes.