Broken By The Darkness In My Blood

Getting To Know Someone Or Letting Them In

I felt his stare digging into me as I looked at the silent shining stars. They looked beautiful but that wasn’t the reason I couldn’t take my eyes off of them. I was ashamed of my past. I was ashamed of what I had changed myself to be. And now I had returned to being myself and I had to explain why.

“Well… this isn’t my usual attire. This is me; the person I’ve been for the past two years wasn’t me. You probably have seen me, you just don’t remember.”

“How could I forget someone as stunning as you?”

I blushed, thankfully it was dark and he couldn’t see my face.

“Easily. Besides, I wasn’t me. I was what my friends wanted me to be. I’m not pleased with the fact that I changed myself for them but I’m me again. The past is over so lets just forget about it.”

I stopped looking at the stars and turned to face Zac. He was holding back a laugh.

“What’s so funny?”

“How old are you?”

“Fifteen. Sixteen in a month and a half.”

“Your words sound older.”

“Is that supposed to be a compliment?”

“I guess so. When’s your birthday Sapphire?”

“October 31st, Halloween.”

“Wow, me too.”

“How old are you?”

“Sixteen. Seventeen on Halloween.”

“Talk about having something in common.”

“So… what else do we have in common? Do you have any brothers or sisters?”

“Yeah. Two older brothers; they’re both eighteen year old twins. You?”

“I have a younger sister, she’s only twelve. Her name’s Emerald.”

“Cool another gemstone. What else could we have in common? Music?”

“Umm… most stuff; The Used, MCR, Blink 182, Green Day, Iron Maiden, need I go on? How about you?”

“Same, just add on Panic! At The Disco and Fall Out Boy and you’ve practically got me covered.”

There was another silence with both of us trying to think of something to say. When he finally asked something it was a strange thing for him to ask, as he was almost a complete stranger.

“So Sapphire do you have a special someone?”

“Huh?”

“You know, a boyfriend or something.”

“No.” I replied flatly. Could he seriously see me with a guy? I had never been like my friends in that respect, yet another thing to divide us. Whilst they had been off losing their virginity to strangers, I had been plugged into my iPod. Zac kind of looked, well, shocked at my answer.

“What?” Why was he so shocked? I wasn’t pretty enough for a boyfriend anyway.

“I just thought someone like you would have a boyfriend.”

“Someone like me?”

“A beautiful, young, mysterious girl like yourself should have dozens of guys falling at her feet.”

I laughed. How wrong was he?

“It’s not funny. I’m surprised you don’t have a boyfriend.”

“Do you have a girlfriend then?” I began to get curious.

“No, I never thought I wanted one, until today that is.” I didn’t get what he meant by that. Earlier he did say he had had a bad day so that would probably fit in with that.

“So do you want to meet up again?”

“Of course. Shall I give you my number?”

“Program it into my phone.”

“But then I won’t have yours.” He seemed pretty interested in getting my number, almost like I was going to forget about him. I texted him.

“Now you do.”

He glanced down at his phone and a smile spread across his face. My message had worked in that respect.

I’m so glad you bumped into me x

“So about meeting up…”

“How about you call me when you want to meet up? I only live a few minutes from here.”

“Do you want me to walk you home?” I felt flattered by his offer.

“You don’t have to. I can get home by myself.”

“But it’s eleven.”

“Wait we’ve been talking for two hours?”

“Time flies when you’re having fun.”

“Then I must be having a ball. I would appreciate you walking me home very much then, not that anyone would mess with me. My brothers are very overprotective.”

“They won’t beat me up for talking to you, will they?”

“They’re not that bad. At least I don’t think they are; they’ve never had to deal with a boy for being with me before.”

“We’ve only been talking.”

“Which is why you’re walking me home.”

I grabbed his soft hand and pulled him up. Leaving him standing by the oak tree looking confused, I ran off. When I reached the edge of the park I stopped.

“You’re never going to catch me if you stay there.”

Thankfully he caught onto what I was doing and chased after me. I managed to hold him off until we reached my driveway. He finally grabbed me and swung me round in a circle. Once he let me go I placed a friendly kiss on his cheek and danced inside. I regretted giving him a kiss, even if it was a friendly one, when I saw my brothers. They were not happy. Jet stepped forward.

“Who was that guy?”

“Just a friend.”

“Since when do you have male friends?” Brody joined in.

“Since today.”

“Did you meet him at the club?” Jet and Brody were doing that annoying twin thing where they step and talk at the same time.

“No.”

“So where else have you been?”

“Just the park.”

“How old is he?”

“Sixteen.”

“What’s his name?”

“Can you stop asking questions please?”

“Only once you tell us his name.”

“Fine he’s called Zac now let me past.”

I shoved my way between them and up the stairs. My room was on the first floor, right next to my father’s study. I couldn’t wait to see Zac again but I think we should stay away from my house in future after that heated discussion with my brothers. I got changed and climbed into bed. My mind full of thoughts of Zac, I fell asleep. They say when you dream about someone you must feel something towards them as they’ve got into your head. Zac was in my head most definitely.