Broken By The Darkness In My Blood

Locks Can't Stop Love

“I’ll be fine. Go.”

I knew I was lying as soon as I told Zac that. His eyes could see straight through the lie but he knew that he would not get out of this well unless he followed my advice. I started to run away as well but something was going wrong. Over the past few days I had noticed little changes happening to me. My strength, stamina and health were deteriorating. I didn’t know why and to be frank, it scared me. I had changed nothing and yet I was changing. As I was running I was struggling. My legs shouldn’t be like that. I was a fantastic runner; I had to be with two brothers. I ran through the pain but it didn’t work. My legs collapsed. And, to top it all, my brothers saw me.

“Sapphire! You shouldn’t be here! We told you to stay at home!”

Oh crap. I had broken my family’s new rule to stay inside at night. Apparently it was a dangerous time in a dangerous town. Never heard that before. I rolled my eyes at my brothers. So what if I had gone out to see Zac. I’m sure he would have loved to be stood up. And I could not have missed tonight. It was magic. He liked me. He actually liked me.

“Sapphire!”

“Sorry.” I said meekly. Truth was I didn’t care.

“You should be at home. Lets get you back.” Brody had always been the kinder one of the pair.

A pair of muscular arms lifted me up. My brothers had always been strong. I didn’t fight back, I couldn’t walk so what was the point. When we got in to the house it was deathly quiet, no one was in, what a surprise. I was expecting my brothers, Jet at least, to yell at me but they didn’t. Well not for going out. They just warned me and gave me orders for in future. They yelled quite a bit to do this though.

“You shouldn’t go out at night anymore. It’s dangerous around here. More dangerous than you could ever know.”

“Sapphire, you can’t see that boy again. It’s for the best. That way you won’t get hurt.” See what I meant about Brody being kinder and more understanding.

But I don’t think that breaking my heart would be best for me. Zac and I were meant to be together, I just knew it. Even if not in the romantic sense, we would be friends for our entire lives.

“I won’t.” I surprised my brothers and myself by saying.

“What?”

“You heard me, I won’t. I’m going to see Zac if I want to. I’m almost sixteen, I can choose what’s best for me.” Jet didn’t like my sudden standing up for myself.

“No you will not! It’s because you’re almost sixteen that you have to stay inside! If you go out you’ll end up-” At this point Brody hit Jet and finished his sentence.

“Hurt.”

“I won’t.” I could be stubborn if I wanted to.

“You will.”

“I won’t. There are other things more likely to hurt me than that.”

“Like what?” Jet said sarcastically.

“Like me not being able to run or stand upright for long.”

“Oh.” A look of recognition passed the twins faces.

“What is it? What’s happening?”

“Nothing, it’s just a phrase.”

“What aren’t you telling me?”

“Just don’t see this boy again.”

“But-” But the door was slammed in my face. And the lock was turned. So I was stuck at home. For quite a while or so it seemed…

If they really thought that locking the doors and windows would stop me then they had another think coming. I was going to see Zac the following night, two days before my birthday and that was that. So I made my plans, I found the window keys and I prepared for some running.

“Zac?”

“Oh, Sapphire, thank goodness you’re okay.” His voice was tinged with relief. I couldn’t see a reason why.

“I’m fine. Did you get away okay?”

“Course. Did you?”

“Yeah. Twisted my ankle in some odd twist of fate but my brothers carried me home. Will you be there tonight?”

“Of course I’ll be there. Why wouldn’t I be?”

“Because it’s been a week since we spoke to each other.”

“I’ve been waiting for your call every second. I never stopped thinking about you.”

“That’s so sweet.”

“It’s true. So with a twisted ankle will you be able to get there on your own?”

“Umm… probably.”

“Shall I come and meet you?”

“You would do that for me?”

“Sapphire, I would do anything for you.”

That was the reason I was climbing out of my bedroom window on a Saturday night into Zac’s waiting arms. Little did I know my brothers were waiting for me to do just that…

“How you feeling?”

“Like I want to get away from here.”

“Where?”

“You choose. Just no more trees.”

So we ended up in the park. Just as always. Except this time, we had two eighteen-year-old shadows.