Adeline's Streets

Love?

Joseph catches his breath and asks, "Are you OK? Did she get to hit you at all?"

"I'm fine."

He sat down next to me. "I'm sorry about your boyfriend and all but you shouldn't do dumb shit like that."

"I wasn't doing anything I normally wouldn't do and when it comes to my business, just stay out of it." I reply sharply.

"You could have gotten kicked out from Gilman! You could have been caught with the beer and the fucking fight! Seriously, it's like you were ask-"

"You know what, shut the fuck up! Stop acting like you know me. I am not one of those dumb little girls who think they're in love after the first week nor the first year! I don't believe in love. I never have believed in love because to me, it doesn't exist. What I have towards Jim is something deep I can never be able to describe. I'd give my life for him. Why?, because he taught me how to survive ."

Joseph's angry expression was slowing fading away. He was beginning to feel dumb for yelling at me and jumping to conclusions. "I'm sorry" was all he had left to say and I did not have a thing to say to that.

"When was the last time you talked to him?" He asked.

"The day before he left. He tries to call but I don't want to talk to him." I was still angry but I answered calmly.

"You know what... I'll always be here for you."

I couldn't believe he said that. "Why?"

" Why what?"

"Why do you say that?"

"I'm saying it because I want to."

I couldn't believe Joseph. "Kid, you won't last a day trying to deal with me."

"Adeline, you don't know the first thing about me..."

I didn't know what to say to him. I swear, that kid is too nice. He changed the conversation and asks, "Do you want to go somewhere else?"

"I want to go home.... " I stood up and was beginning to walk away. Then I turned back, "You can come over....if... you want." I was practically inviting him.

"Sure." Joseph said.

We began to walk together to my place.

"So, where do you live?"

"Aaron, my friend, and I share an apartment together."

"You live on your own? No way! You're just seventeen."

"I've been living on my own since I was fourteen."

"Where are your parents?"

I wasn't sure if I wanted to answer him or not. It's not that it is hard for me, or at least I don't think it is, but I didn't know whether after I asked him he was either going to drop it or keep questioning me. I decided to just come clean. "They past away."

"Are you serious?... Wow um I'm sorry." He didn't question me about them after that. I was a bit relieved.

Once we arrived, I headed to the refrigerator and grabbed some ice for my fist. As I pressed the ice against my knuckles I ask, "So what's it like being a rich boy?"

"It's exciting and dull."

I didn't understand him. I nod my head slowly and say, "I see..."

"Hey Adeline, what happened to your parents?" He had a regretful look, as if he wanted to take back the question.

I reply, "It's a long story. I don't want to waste time talking about it."

"That's alright." Joseph took my answer. After seeing the regretful look he had, I think he was happy with the answer. He didn't waste time to bring up a different topic, "Hey, what do you think of Green Day?"

Not thinking about what was about to come out of my mouth, I was going to answer being completely honest. "Green Day... they're whatever. You're dad's band is alright but I don't think they're the best band in the world. Let's just say, I'm not those people who would find it hard to talk and breath or who will scream if I saw them walking down the street. I'm the type that won't even bother going up to them and say hi. I don't want to sound fucked up, but they're nobodies to me. I don't care for them. It's not that I hate them, I just feel they shouldn't be treated important because they haven't saved me or helped me in any way sort of way."

Joseph was quiet for a couple of seconds and then he finally said, "I respect that" and smiled.

"Well... do you want popcorn." I asked him.
"Sure."

I looked through my cabinets for a bag of popcorn and put it in the microwave. As soon as the bag was huge, I pulled it out, dumped the corn in a bowl, and we sat on the couch. We ate while we had a conversation. The whole night we got along great. Our opinions either differed entirely or they were exactly the same. Either way, he respected my thoughts and it was the first time I was being fully open minded. When the topic of the conversation led to talking about ourselves, Joseph told me events in his life he had never told anyone. He was being outspoken. I, of course, was the complete opposite. I didn't tell him anything personal about myself. I don't really trust people and it takes a lot for me to trust anyone. I believe when you trust someone, you're basically letting them go near your heart and taking the chances of being betrayed. The more he told me about himself, I came to notice no matter what your lifestyle is, whether your rich or poor, man or woman- people can still relate to how difficult and crappy life can be. Eventually, it was really late. Joseph and I were both exhausted, we called it a day. He called his parents to tell them he wouldn't be coming home tonight. He slept over.