Status: Completed, after eleven months and four days. XD

Baby Just Say Yes

Chapter Forty-One

"Brian, you know how I hate hospitals. I've seen the inside of one far too much for one person this year." Rayleigh sighed as Brian dragged her inside the hospital, sighing.

"Rayleigh, it's no big deal. All their going to do is make sure the baby is fine." He told her as they walked--or rather, as he forced her to walk--into the hospital.

"If they give me any form of a shot, I--"

"There won't be any shots. I promise." He smiled at her. In spite of herself, she smiled.

"Fine. I guess it has to be done, anyways." She told Brian, who kissed the top of her hair as she started to walk alongside him. "But there better not be needles involved."

"Ah, Ms. Coslov, it's so nice to see you again." The receptionist said cheerily as they walked up to the front desk. She tried not to roll her eyes, but it didn't work. The receptionist didn't faulter. "You must be here for a checkup on the baby."

-x-
"Yeah. We're here for a checkup on the baby." Rayleigh said sarcastically. "Why else would we be here?"

"There's no need to snap at her, Ray." Brian said quietly, kissing her neck. The receptionist shrugged it off.

"It's no big deal. I'm used to it." She said chirpily. "The doctor said to let you see him as soon as you got here. He knows you don't like hospitals. I personally love hospitals. They're so..." The receptionist dragged on as Brian and Rayleigh walked towards the doctor's office. She didn't seem to realize they were no longer there listening to her rant.

"Sorry if I've been a little temperamental lately." She said quietly as they walked. He looked at her and gave her a goofy grin.

"It doesn't bother me. It's never me your mad at." He said. "Besides, I'm sure nobody is mad at you."

She smiled up at him. "Really?"

"Yep. Now let's get this over with." He said, opening the door. The doctor sat at his desk, and looked up with a smile as they walked in.

"Ah, Ms. Coslov, Mr. Haner. Nice to see you." He said, shaking Brian's hand. "Now, if you'll follow me to the checkup room..."

-x-

"I thought you told me there wouldn't be a shot, Brian." She said innocently and a little too sweetly as the doctor pulled a needle out of the drawer.

"I didn't know you were six months due on your Tetanus shot." He said defensively, holding his hands up in defeat. "There's no way the doctor here will let you walk out without getting it."

"He's right." The doctor said kindly. "This won't hurt a bit."

"My ass." She said sarcastically. "If you don't want to get backhanded, I highly suggest Brian there comes over here and holds my hands back. And you have one chance, Mister."

"It's okay, baby." Brian muttered into her neck, holding her hands. She smiled at him, but her smile broke into a scowl as soon as the needle broke her skin. She reflexively threw her hand back, and accidentally hit Brian across the face. The needle was already out of the skin, and she looked apologetically at Brian.

"I'm sorry." She said. "I didn't mean to--"

"It's okay, Ray." He smiled, rubbing his face. "At least I know nobody's gonna want to mess with you. You have one mean left hook."

She smiled and got up off the table.

"So is the baby okay?" Brian asked the doctor, who nodded.

"Yes. The baby is doing very well. His mother is doing well."

"His?" They both asked in unison. The doctor put his hands up in defeat.

"We're not sure yet of the baby's sex. But I don't like calling the fetus an 'it', because that's not what the baby is."

"Man, you weren't kidding." Brian muttered. "Even we've called it an it before."

"So when's the next checkup for?" She asked.

"Another two months from now. By then we should be able to determine the baby's sex."