You'll Never Take Me Alive, Do What It Takes To Survive

I'm Not Okay

We crashed into the glass doors of the Belleville Police Department. We lost the goon half a block back. I hunched over, trying to get my breath.

“Ger- I can’t bre-” Mikey puffed out.

“Mikey, get your inhaler,” I said.

He reached into his coat pocket and retrieved the white device. He shook it up and took off the cap, placing the opening to his lips.

“You better?” I asked.

He nodded his head.

“Good, now c’mon,” I said.

We walked towards the desk where a female cop was sitting and filing paperwork.

“Excuse me m’am,” I piped, my voice breaking a little.

“What can I help you with?” the woman asked, obviously having no personal interest in what we had to say.

“Yeah, you can help us. My brother and I just witnessed a murder,” I said, my words being a little more harsh than I intended them to be.

She looked us up and down. Her gaze passed over my long black hair, to my Iron Maiden T-shirt, to my army coat, to the chipped black polish on my nails. Her gaze then flicked to Mikey, taking in his glasses, his Misfits shirt, and his Converse.

“Think you’re being funny? Coming into a police department making up stories about murders is a felony! You want to have that on your record?” she belittled us.

“Lady, we are not making this story up!” I yelled, slamming my palm onto the desk.

“Is everything okay here?” a man around his mid fourties asked, his graying hair neatly combed over to one side. His green eyes penetrated through his glasses, giving us a look of confusion.

“No! Everything is not o-fucking-kay! We just witnessed a murder for Christ’s sake and this woman won’t believe us!” Mikey yelled as he waved his finger in the direction of the woman behind the desk.

The woman, the man, and myself were all taken aback.

“Okay boys…I’m Detective Pearson. Would you tell me where this crime took place?” the man asked.

“In the alley behind the adult shop on Brayburn Avenue,” I answered.

“Alright, we’ll go have a cop check it out,” said Pearson.

“Until I get word back, you boys will have to wait right here,” the Detective pointed at an uncomfortable looking bench to the right of the desk.

Mikey and I walked over to the bench and sat down. My legs throbbed as I sat. I looked up to see Detective Pearson walking through a door behind the desk.

“They have to believe us, Gerard…” Mikey sighed, running his hands through his chesnut hair.

“Once they see the body, they’ll have to believe us,” I said trying to assure myself rather than making Mikey feel better.

I leaned back and closed my eyes and fell into a light sleep.

Author’s Note: I know it’s slow and not that good, BUT it will get better. Just please bear with me… Comments are definitely welcome. I’d like to know if you like the story.

XOXO <3