You'll Never Take Me Alive, Do What It Takes To Survive

Our Lady of Sorrows

This story is taking place in 2002. I changed the years Gerard and Mikey were born. Also, I’ve changed Gerard’s age to 16 instead of 15.

GERARD’S POV

I sat with my head in my hands, drowsiness crashing over me. Being questioned for two hours definitely had its disadvantages. Though the cherry on top of the cake had to be the look on Ms. McPherson’s (as she preferred to be called) face as I told her who had blown poor ol’ Charlie away. My face broke into a grin as the memory flashed before me.

Slowly, I drifted off to sleep.

MIKEY’S POV

SLAM!

My head shot up, my eyes closing again quickly from the light.

“Aw, I didn’t scare you did I?” I heard a female voice ask.

I looked up and saw a woman around her mid-twenties, her flame red hair framing her face with delicate curls.

“N-no,” I stuttered.

Smooth Mikey, real smooth.

“Ah, you sound like you’ll cooperate better than your brother,” she said.

“I’m Ellie McPherson,” she said.

“And I will be questioning you this…morning,” she finished after looking at her watch.

“Okay,” I said.

“Name and date of birth,” she said flipping to a new page in her notebook.

“Michael James Way, September 10, 1989.”

“Where were you born?”

“Belleville, New Jersey.”

She asked other questions before asking me about the…incident.

“What were you doing before you witnessed the murder?”

I froze, trying to think of the right words to use.

“Gerard and I were walking home from the movies. The movie had started 40 minutes late. We decided to take a short cut since we didn’t want to get in trouble with our mom.”

“What happened next?”

“We took an alley. We walked past a fenced in area to our left when we heard voices. The fence was wide enough that we could see through. That’s we saw Vince Lovey and a couple of his goons beating someone up. Lovey then pulled out a revolver and blew Charlie’s head clean off. Lovey then had one of his goons chase us.”

“You’re a good kid, Mikey,” McPherson said as she got up and left the room.

Another cop said I could go to the other room with Gerard. I shot up and walked to his room. Seeing he was asleep, I decided to scare him. I brought my fists down on the table and watched him jump up and I swear he screamed like a girl.

“Goddamn it Mikey, give me a fucking heart attack why don’t ya?” he asked with his hand clutched to his chest.

I rolled on the floor laughing.

“I had a rude awakening, so I thought you should to,” I stated.

“I’ll get you back for this,” Gerard said.

“Looking forward to it,” I said.

“So, who questioned you?” Gerard asked.

“Some chick named Ellie McPherson,” I said.

“She questioned me too. She didn’t like me,” Gee said.

“She was cool to me,” I said.

“You’re lucky,” he said giving me a look while he rubbed his cheek.

The door to the room opened. In rushed Mom, followed by Dad. She ran over hugging me and kissing me.

“Ew, Mom, I’m alright,” I said, trying to push her off me.

“Oh, Mikey! You have no idea how worried I’ve been!” Mom said.

I looked over to Gerard and saw that Dad had his hand on his shoulder.

“What did you do now? You didn’t set the neighbor’s cat on fire again did you?” Dad asked him.

“That was only once! And I was 5!” Gerard said with wide eyes.

“We’re just glad you’re okay,” Mom said as she stroked my hair.

Detective Pearson walked in, followed by a short, squatty woman around her forties.

“Hello, my name is Jerry Pearson,” the detective introduced himself, shaking Mom and Dad’s hands.

“And this is Rachal Wilson, and she is with the U.S. Marshal’s Service,” he finished.

“Hello,” she said and again shook Mom and Dad’s hands.

“Oh my… How much trouble are our son’s in?” Mom asked.

“They’re not in trouble, m’am,” Rachal said.

“But they are in danger,” she said.

“What kind of danger?” Dad asked.

“Tonight your sons witnessed a murder at the hands of Vince Lovey, the most wanted mob boss in New Jersey,” Rachal said.

Mom gasped as her arm around my shoulders tightened.

“According to them, Lovey saw what they looked like. It’s only a matter of time before Lovey knows who they are and comes after them,” she explained.

We sat in silence as we listened.

“That’s why it would be in the best interest for your sons and yourselves, if they were to be placed in the Witness Protection Program,” Wilson finished.

Witness Protection Program??? Holy Shit…