When Worlds Collide

Elizabeth

"Thank you mummy." I smiled gratefully and accepted the cup of tea been offered to me. Moving into this huge marble house was a terrific idea. Even if it was oceans away from my friends. My mummy smiled at me and kissed daddy's cheek, holding his hand above the table. Geoffrey, our little dog trotted into the kitchen, his well trimmed claws tapping the tiled floor. I smiled and lifted him onto my lap, offering him a bit of my cooked chicken breast. I felt bad because I knew it was bad. I put him back on the floor and asked Martin, our five hundred dollars a day Butler to feed my little poppet.

I smoothed out my knee length skirt and excused myself from the table. My dolly shoes tapped rhythmically against the well polished ground as I skipped to my bedroom. My powdery pink room shined softly in the golden light of the evening sun. Oh who was I kidding? I hated this. It was all too frilly and girlie and pink. I wanted blue, or green. I wanted to run around in the mud with the other kids who lived downtown, but mummy said I wasn't allowed. That those kids were dangerous. I didn't believe that, those kids were kids. What I should be but haven't been raised to me. I was raised proper. To sit up straight, eat with correct cutlery, eat healthy, cooperate with my personal trainer. I was raised to speak proper English, and now, home schooling with my new teacher.

Moving to America from England can't end well. I don't know anybody here, I don't fit in here. I proper, wealthy English girl in the middle of America to be home schooled while my parents travel with their joint businesses.

I sighed and straightened my soft, knee-high skirt out of habit.

I watched the local school children run and play outside. Their clothes and skin muddy. They're hair messy and their lack of uniform never tidy. Oh how I wanted to be one of them. To run and skid in the dirt and on the park like them. I wanted to be messy and carefree. I wanted to see a little dust around the house every now and then. I wanted our living room to have a tatty and worn carpet.I didn't want to take my sparkling clean shoes off on the rubber mat at the door way. I didn't want to tip toe elegantly through the shiny marble halls.

I wanted to get dirt on a carpet and charge through the house like a hyper active puppy. Not our fat little thing that was laying on the floor, too fat and lazy to actually get up and play.

I wanted to be one of those down and out kids.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments?