This is a love song in my own way...

I Just Want To Know What It's Like To Be You

Jack’s POV
It was almost the end of my first class of the year and I was already bored. Why was I even here? Leenie, that’s what I was here for; she deserves the best life possible. The best life ever means her dad has to graduate high school. I wasn’t here to make friends and slack off, I was here for Leenie. Ring. Fuck, my cell phone was ringing. I had to answer it, something could have happened to Leenie. My love for Leenie cancelled out all my common sense, causing me to answer my cell phone in the middle of class.
“Hello,” I said quietly.
“Hi Jack, this is Karen from daycare. Leenie spilled some paint on her clothes. Where did you put the spare pair?” Karen said in a cheery voice. Was she seriously calling me after I told her Emergencies Only?
“Ummm… this is a really bad time. Can I call you back later?” As I said this I clicked the phone shut not wanting to hear her response.
“Excuse me, but does this look like the kind-of place to accept a call,” Mr. Norcross said staring me down.
“No, but..,” I said whispering again.
“I’m sorry but I’m going to have to see you at lunch today. Mackenzie, it looks like you have a lunch buddy now,” Mr. Norcross said. Great, just what I need I mean she gave me this really weird look when she walked in like ‘What the hell’? I hope she wouldn’t be mean; it would be better if she acted like I didn’t exist. The bell rang suddenly and I jumped up to get to my next class.
………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………
The rest of the morning had passed uneventfully and I was actually grateful for the lunch detention. The ‘new kid’ always attracted attention and I didn’t want any; by tomorrow there would be a whole new drama and thankfully I would be forgotten. I walked into Mr. Norcross’s empty classroom and saw him sitting at his desk.
“Hi Jack umm... I’m just going to grab my lunch real quick. I’ll be right back umm. Okay. Tell Mackenzie and no leaving the classroom at all,” Mr. Norcross said.
“Sure.” It was weird he seemed so nervous and like he was dying to leave the classroom. I mean for just getting his lunch he practically ran out of the room. I sat at a desk in the back of the room and opened my paper bagged lunch. What..? Great, my lunch consists of a Little Bo Peep blanket. I’m so stupid; why did I put my lunch and a blanket in the same kind of bag? Just as I was beating myself up over my lunch situation, Mackenzie walked in. I must have not gotten a good look at her before because I would have noticed how hot she was. Her body was curvy in all the right places; she was definitely was not like those stick skinny girl. She had on black Converse with a pair of jeans and this dark blue t-shirt with this silvery writing on it. But her face was the best part; her skin was pale almost white, but her lips were bright red like she just had a lollipop. Her ink black hair was cut short skimming her jawbone framing her dark blue eyes. Wow, I couldn’t believe I missed how beautiful she was before.
“Hi Mackenzie…” I said before she cut me off.
“Kenzie, Mackenzie is wayyy to long,” she said.
“Oh sorry, Mr. Norcross said to tell you…”
“He’s grabbing his lunch and he’ll be right back,” she said sarcastically. She had cut me off again and I was wondering whether she was psychic or not. Before I could ask she read my mind again.
“Mr. Norcross hates my guts, so I spend a lot of time in lunch detention with him and getting his lunch means staring at the slutty girls in the lunchroom. He’s such a perv.”
“Yeah, he seemed kind-of sketchy. You shouldn’t even be here; I mean you weren’t even that late.”
“Whatever. Now instead having detention alone with a book, I have you to talk to. I mean if you want to…,” she said adding the last part quickly.
“Yeah, who else would I talk to? The chair?" I said playfully. I can’t believe that within the time before Kenzie walked in and now, I decided to be social and flirt with her. No ‘Just finish school’ mantra anymore. I just wanted to hear her voice forever. I mean I can still listen to her voice forever and get good grades. Right…? She sat at the desk in front of me and turned the chair around to face me. She opened up a container of brown noodles and vegetables.
“Where’s your lunch,” she asked. Oh yeah, lunch at a lunch detention is usually expected.
“I mixed it up with something else. I’m just going to wait to eat when I get home.”
“No, you can’t. Come on have some of my mine,” she said using her chopsticks to move the noodles on the cover of her container.
“Here’s a fork I always bring one in case I get frustrated with the chopsticks,” she said smiling
“Ummm… well,” I stuttered. I mean this was really sweet. She knew me for five minutes and was already ready to give me some of her lunch.
“Oh, you don’t like lo mein. I think I brought an apple you could have that,” she said. Her smile crumpling, maybe she wasn’t psychic after all.
“No it’s just that it’s really nice of you. Thanks!”
“No problem.” Her smile returning again, it was nearly was blinding me.
“So here we are both in lunch detention and I just have to ask. Why did you answer your phone?” What a normal question but, did I have a normal answer? Being a father in high school and sitting here in this classroom saying ‘I thought my daughter needed me’ doesn’t sound normal. So of course I said,
“It was just an instinct. At home I always have to answer the phone.”
“Really, you seemed really weird on the phone. You should definitely get out of the habit. Teachers here hate cell phones.” I had to change the subject I probably did sound weird on the phone.
“So why are you here,” I said. She started to turn bright red which was a huge contrast to her white skin.
“Sorry if it’s embarrassing you don’t have to tell me,” I said worrying now she would be mad at me.
“No it’s just that… Well one of my favorite bands came out with a new CD today and the CD store opened later than I thought.”
“What’s so bad about that?”
“Nothing I guess. It just that everybody thinks it’s weird that a CD is so important to me.” She looked so torn and little, I felt bad for her.
“Trust me I’m really into music too. What band was it?” At hearing this she definitely perked up.
“The Academy Is… you probably never heard of them.”
“That’s funny actually. In my old band I was the singer and everybody said I sang like William Beckett,” I said laughing. Wow… when was the last time I had laughed?
“You were part of a band. That’s sooo cool,” she said her face bright with excitement. We spent the next 15 minutes talking about music and she was really excited, so much that when she opened her yogurt half of the contents splashed on the front of my black shirt. Bright pink was now splattered all over the front of me.
“I’m so sorry,” she said. She grabbed a napkin and started wiping the yogurt of my t-shirt. Her hands were warm and them on my chest felt really good. With that and the smell of her shampoo and her body so close, I started to feel my slim pants grow even tighter straining against the material in my crotch area. I needed to sort this problem out, NOW! I stood up and said,
“Thanks for helping me clean up. I think I’ll go to the bathroom to clean the rest up.”
“Okay sorry about spilling that on you.” I grabbed my binder and headed to the door.
“Wait…” she said putting her hand on my shoulder and looking straight into my eyes.
“There’s only five minutes left, you should take the rest of your books.” She handed me my books and I smiled because talking was not possible. I placed my books in front of my jeans and practically ran to the nearest bathroom. Just concentrate on school. Yeah right, I was doing an excellent job of that.