Let's Hear It for America's Pastime

Footnote in Someone Else's Happiness

[title credit goes to Headfirst Slide into Cooperstown... yada ya I can't remember the res by Fall Out Boy]

Roses. They gave me roses.

Okay, really? Was I on the Bachelor?

Mr. Prissy had a death grip on my arm, dragging me down a random hallway. I'd just told him I knew who I was picking, and he got all excited, clapping his hands and bouncing on his toes.

I had to remind myself that Pete would never shut up if I quit now.

"Alright, Pat. Just go nice and slow. We need to capture the drama!"

Good God just shoot me now.

The second I stepped back into the main room, every girl was serious, all standing nervously side by side. I stumbled to a halt beside a tray of pretty yellow roses, facing all twenty five girls. Mr. Prissy stood back behind the camera's and gave me a nod. Taking a deep breath, I started.

"This was a hard decision for me," I lied, "You're all very lovely ladies..." at this Liz rolled her eyes. "But fifteen of you just... aren't for me."

I picked up one of the roses with a shaky hand.

"Aja," I called, meeting her shocked gaze. She quietly shuffled over to me, looking like she was about to faint. "Will you accept this rose?" Without a word, she nodded her head. She took the rose and stepped off to the side, every other girl's penetrating stare following her.

Rose number two.

"Kristine."

Kris smiled softly and accepted the rose.

Three.

"Sandria."

She bounced to my side, looking almost as excited as Mr. Prissy... but much much prettier.

Four.

"Mitch."

"Woo!" she cheered, beaming. I handed her the rose, watching her face light up. "Thanks, Trick! You're the best!"

She stood on her tiptoes and kissed my cheek, nearly giving me a heart attack.

Seriously, girls just don't do that around me. I had to admit, I was enjoying myself. Minus the camera's, that is.

Rose number five.

"James."

The small girl's eyes widened as she made her way to me.

"Have you gone completely insane, Stump?" she asked, grasping the flower with her fingertips. I grinned.

"I am on this show, aren't I?"

James shook her head and moved to stand next to Aja.

Number six.

"Isla... will you accept this rose?" Her small hand fluttered to cover her mouth.

"Th-thank you so much," she managed to say, taking the rose and looking up at me with bright eyes. I wondered silently to myself how the board managed to find so many girls my height. And with such pretty eyes.

Seven.

Tension filled room, clenching my chest even though I knew who was coming to Chicago with me.

"Ray."

Ray froze in her spot, staring at me.

"Ray?"

She suddenly broke into a beaming ray of sunshine, looking so beautiful I almost cried. She took the rose graciously.

Eight.

By now, some of the girls were silently crying. One of which was my next choice.

"Alicia... please accept this rose."

Quickly, she wiped her eyes, nodding and crying eve more. I came close to hugging her and telling her it would be alright, but I was afraid Mr. Prissy would have a fit over that. As two golden roses sat on the tray beside me, I realized I was out of sane girls to pick from.

Shit.

I glanced over at the flamboyant producer, who looked like he really needed a bowl of popcorn. Or maybe I bathroom break, I couldn't be sure. My palms were starting to sweat, the hat on my head suddenly too heavy.

Shit shit shit...

On the verge of freaking out, I picked up a flower and twirled it between my fingers. What was I supposed to do now, guess? I vaguely remembered meeting a girl... what was her name?

"D-Drea?" I gulped. A girl who hand eyes so dark I was positive they were completely black stepped forward. She was the girl that could see through my facade when I was by the athletic girls.

Drea took the rose silently, watching my reactions carefully. I was sure that if my face so much as twitched, she would have noticed. It made me slightly uncomfortable.

One more rose left.

For whatever reason I couldn't explain, my arm reached for the last flower, my lips forming to say her name...
♠ ♠ ♠
CLIFFY!

woo.
i'm not really good at those, so be proud.

sooo, here's the deal. i have most of the next chapter already written (which includes the last girl, thank you very much...) and i'll only post it when i get FIVE COMMENTS.

and yes, sarah may be all 'that's not very many, liz' but you know what? that's a trillion to me, so imma start there and work my way up ^-^

in fact, most of those comments are probably going to be hers. so maybe it SHOULD be ten. you tell me.

anywhoz! before i make this a chapter within a chapter, let me just say, i wrote this WHOLE THING in chemistry. except maybe the first two lines. i dunno. and yet i still manage to sort of know what's going on >.<

i'm pretty proud of myself.

comments are like unicorns. sometimes they're nice, sometimes they're mean, but mostly they're just pretty to look at.
AND NOW THEY GIVE UPDATES TOO!!

isn't that just a win-win?

much love,
-lizzy

spell check: eleven words changed. i need a freaking DICTIONARY.