Beautiful

Beautiful

Beautiful

xXAlicia’s POVXx

I opened my eyes, only to be blinded by the blinking red numbers on the clock radio. Three forty three. Why the fuck am I up so early? I wanna sleep. rolled from my side and to my back and stared at the ceiling for several minutes. Something’s wrong. I can tell. But what?

I turned to my husband for the passed year and a half. His dark brown hair was flopped into his face, and his lovely face was half buried in the off white sheets. His position in the bed didn’t look too...comfortable. I smiled at his sleeping form as he rolled over to his back. That’s when I felt it.

The slight pain. It wasn’t hard, and it didn’t make me wanna scream or anything. It just made me slightly uncomfortable. I looked down and place a hand on my stomach. My swollen stomach.

I felt the pang of hurt again several seconds later. It was a little worse now. Oh god. Please don’t tell me I’m...no. I can’t be. Not for another two weeks at least. Ouch. I felt it again. I cringed a little this time. Oh God. Oh God.

I turned to my husband and shook him. “Mikey,” I whispered. He didn’t move. “Mikey.” He stirred a little, but fell back asleep. “Mikey!!!”

“What?” he asked, his head shooting up off of the pillow. “What?”

“Um,” I paused. God, how do I tell him without him having a fucking panic attack or passing out? I gulped and touched my stomach again. He stared at me and raised a brow.

“Something wrong?” he asked. God, he’s oblivious!

“Um,” I thought for a second, “Not really.” Hey, it was the truth right?

“Okay,” he said. He looked at my stomach and smiled a little. “Night then.”

I grabbed his hand before he could roll over. Another shot of pain. God, it just keeps getting worse, doesn’t it?

“What is it?” he asked. I looked straight into his light brown eyes. His eyes widened. He got the hint. “Oh god. Oh god!!!!!”

He shot out of the bed and ran over to the closet, where my bag was. He was flipping out now, rushing around to get ready. i sat there and laughed at him. He’s such a worrier. But hey, that’s why I love him!

We were in the car within minutes, and Mikey was freaking out by now. He was going way over the speed limit, trying to get me to the hospital on time. I couldn’t help but laugh. He’s so overprotective, but in a really sweet way. Wait. I just realized something.

He forgot something. I should tell him. “Mikey?”

“Yea?” he asked, half paranoid, half tired. “What is it?”

“You forget something.” I smiled at him.

“What?!” he looked around the car as we pulled up at a stop light. “What did i forget?!”

“To call Gee,” I replied. He sighed and nodded. His hands gripped tightly at the wheel of the car and he was shaking. Maybe I should call Gee. He’d probably be up anyway.

I took out my cell from the pocket of my jacket and dialed my brother-in-law’s number. It took three rings before I heard someone pick up.

“Hey.” Gerard said. I guess he looked at the caller ID. I sure as hell don’t know. Doesn’t matter now, does it?

“Hey,” I replied calmly.

“What’s up?”

“Not a lot. You?”

“Making coffee. That’s about it.”

“At three in the morning?”

“Yea. Couldn’t sleep. By the way, what are you doing up so early anyway?”

“Oh. That.”

“Can I have a reason please?”

“Yea, um,” I paused as I heard Gerard stir his coffee, “I’m in labor.”

“What?!” I heard him scream on the phone. Mikey looked over to me and raised a brow. I laughed. There was a small crash on the other end. “Oh shit!”

“You okay?” I asked, half joking.

“Yea. Um, I’ll be at the hospital soon. Okay?”

“Sure,” I said, still laughing from hearing Gerard freak out. “Bye.”

“Bye. Hmm. Now how am I gonna clean this?” There was a small click and the call ended. I chuckled.

By four, I was in the hospital bed, staring aimlessly at the ceiling. God, this is boring. How could giving birth be so boring? Hmm. What should I do? I mean, Mikey’s scared out of his mind right now and waiting in the other room for the guys to show up. So, I’m alone. Nothing to do but think. Should be interesting...
+++++++++++++++

xXMikey’s POVXx

Oh god. Oh god. Oh GOD! Alicia’s in labor. Oh god. I’m not ready for this. I’m really not. And to be honest, I’m scared shitless. I need people I know around me to calm me down. Gerard, please get here soon!

At that moment, Gerard walked in the big glass doors of the maternity ward waiting room. I got up from my plastic chair and ran over to him. “Hey,” he greeted cheerfully. He smiled at me. I looked at his coffee stained jeans, black hoodie, and messy black hair. I wonder if he just got up.

“Hey,” I said, eyeing the coffee stains. I then remembered the crash on the phone. “Did you spill coffee on yourself?”

“Yea,” Gee admitted. I chuckled. “Shut up.”

“Sorry,” I replied.

“You okay?”

“Yea. Why?”

“You seem sorta panicked and...stressed.”

“Why wouldn’t I be? Alicia’s in labor with our child.”

“Hmm,” he mulled over the thought, “Makes sense.”

“Um...yea.” Isn’t it obvious it made sense? Did it not make sense to worry about becoming a parent? Become responsible for another living being? Like I said, I’m scared shitless.

I then noticed something. No one else was there. “Where is everyone?” I asked Gerard, like he’d know. But hey, he usually does. So I shouldn’t not try, right?

“I called Frank to let him know. He’ll be here soon,” he started, “Ray and Bob were right behind me in their cars when we left. So-”

Just then, we heard someone yelling, “GERARD!!!”

“Yes?” he asked, turning around. Bob ad Ray walked around the corner, obviously embarrassed by the person who yelled. “Where’s Frank? I heard him yelling and disrupting the peace.”

“He’s getting Skittles at the machine,” Bob told us.

“That’s the last time we ask him to go find someone,” Ray replied. We all nodded. Minutes later, Frank came back with a bag of Skittles in his hand.

“Hey,” he said, smiling. I raised a brow at him. “So, what’s going on now?”

“Alicia’s in labor,” Gee said, “I already told you that.”

“I know, but I mean,” he ate a skittle, “What’s going on now? Like, how long are we waiting for?” I thought for a moment. I wasn’t even sure. Should I know? Well, considering she’s my wife, yea, I should. God, am scared!

“I-I’ll go ask,” I said, walking over to the delivery room. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. I need to calm down. I really do. I put my shaking hand on the doorknob, entering a whole other world.

When I entered the room, it wasn’t like i expected. I pictured screaming and machines everywhere. Well, there weren’t a lot of machines and no screams at least. I walked over to the chair on the side of the bed. Alicia was fast asleep, the beeping machines not even waking her. I smiled.

I sat in the chair for a while, just watching her sleep. How could she sleep through this? I’m not sure. But it was fucking three in the morning, and I hadn’t had any coffee to keep me up. Without the caffeine in my system, I started to drift, until I finally fell asleep.
++++++++++++++

xXGerard’s POVXx

After Mikey entered the room, the four of us all sat in a row of chairs silently. Eventually, I got up and walked down the hallway, searching for a coffee machine. After I finally found one that worked, I put the money in the machine and waited, thinking.

A lot can change in such a short amount of time. I mean, only an hour ago, i was suffering from my usual insomnia, craving the sweetest poison. Coffee. And then, within minutes, I was calling the guys to get their asses down to the hospital for moral support, and cleaning up my spilled coffee mug.

It was strange how much we’d gone through these past few months. Hell, these past few years we’d changed a lot. It was remarkable what could happen.

As I continued to wait for the slow machine to fill my mug, I thought back. To a time before we had to worry about crib colors and baby names. A time when problems never really mattered, and all that did was the music we played and me staying sober. Yea, that matters now and all, but my brother, my sweet, innocent baby brother, is about to become a father. I thought back to when they told me, not caring if the coffee was done or not...
++++++++++++

flashback

Mikey and I had been living together for a while with Alicia. We practiced as always, and Bob and Frank were out getting coffee from the place down the street. Mikey and Alicia had taken me into the main room of the small two bedroom apartment.

“Hey Gee,” Mikey said, his arm wrapped around his wife, “Um, can we talk to you?”

“Um, you already are,” I stated, “But all right!”

“Listen,” he took a deep breath, “There’s something we need to tell you.” His face turned pale and he looked like he was scared out of his mind. I was confused. What could he be scared about? What did he do now?

“What is it?” I asked. I knew they were gonna say that they were moving out, but the words never came. Mikey gulped and Alicia smiled at him. The words came from her.

“I’m Pregnant,” she said. My eyes widened. My mouth dropped. She’s what?!

“I’m sorry,” I breathed, “What?”

“She’s,” he gulped. Hard. “Pregnant, Gee.”

I was ready to pass out. My brother... a father?! No fucking way. Then again, she was showing signs, like being more sensitive and feeling nauseous. But those signs wouldn’t occur until a couple weeks in. That would mean...oh God.

I couldn’t control what came out next. “Ew.”

“What?” Mikey asked, confused.

“I don’t even wanna think about that!”

“Aren’t you happy for us?” Alicia asked, obviously hurt.

“Well, yea. But...” I trailed off.

“But what?” Mikey asked, still confused.

“Well, you had to...” I stopped. They’d get the point.

“Do what?” Mikey asked, messing with me now. Dumbass.

“God, that’s...ugh,” I shuddered at the thought.

“Do what Gerard?” Mikey asked, starting to laugh now.

“You know.”

“No I don’t!” Mikey lied. “Tell me.”

“Um...”

“What is it Gerard?” Alicia asked.

“Yea, what is it?”

“YOU HAD TO HAVE SEX IN MY FUCKING HOUSE!!!!!” I screamed. Mikey and Alicia started laughing. And just as I had yelled that, Bob had walked into the room. He looked at the three of us, obviously disgusted.

“Um...” he paused, “Did I walk in at a bad time?”

“Kinda,” I said embarrassed. He nodded and walked into the other room, coffees still in hand.

“But I don’t get it,” Mikey said. What could he possibly not get? “Why are you so grossed out about that?”

“Because,” I scolded, “Haven’t you ever heard of abstinence? You two shouldn't be having sex!”

“But, um, we’re adults and we’re married,” she said.

“That’s beside the point!”

“So, it’s okay with you to have sex with your wife, but we can’t have sex while we’re married?” she asked.

I thought for a moment. “Yes.”

“That makes no fucking sense!” she screamed. At this point, Mikey was walking away.

“Yes it does!”

“Listen, I’ll have sex if I want to, okay?” Alicia screamed. And with my friends bad timing skills, Frank walked in. He gave us each a ‘Why the fuck are you talking about this?’ look.

“Uhhh,” Frank’s eyes darted from side to side, looking for an escape route. He ran into the other room where Bob and Mikey were, freaking out. After hearing to door slam, all you heard was Frank screaming, “Is Alicia fucking pregnant?!?!”

End Flashback
+++++++++++++++

xXGerard’s POVXx

I picked up my coffee from the machine and sipped it. It had a vile taste to it, making me wanna throw up. But hey, it’ll keep me awake, right?

As I walked back to the waiting area, I kept thinking: Can Mikey handle this?
+++++++++++++++

xXAlicia’s POVXx

I woke up from my sleepy state around six. Two hours sleep. Great. Just peachy. Then again, I’d better get used to it. It’ll be my regular sleeping hours for a long time after this baby’s born. I heard someone toss in the chair beside me.

Mikey was sitting next to me, squirming in the chair like an impatient child. I smiled at him and brushed his hair out of his face. I wonder if the baby will look like him. Would he or she look like me? I wonder. I could kind of see a baby with light brown hair and hazelish eyes. Cute.

Suddenly, I started tearing up. I didn’t realize until now, but...I’m about to become a mom. Oh God. That’s pretty huge. Am I ready? I’m not sure.

At that moment, Mikey stirred for the final time and opened his eyes, looking straight at me. “Alicia,” he breathed, “What’s wrong?”

“I’m scared,” I admitted. He took my hand and kissed my cheek softly.

“It’ll be okay,” he told me, rubbing his thumb over my knuckles, “I’m here.”

I felt a pang in my stomach again and leaned back into the hard pillow. God, this is gonna be a long night.
++++++++++++++

xXGerard’s POVXx

When I got back to the hallway, Ray was fast asleep in a chair and Bob was dozing in and out, trying to keep awake. Frank and I were the only ones far from dreamland. We smiled at each other. I sat back down in the blue, plastic chair.

“So,” i started after a moment of silence, “How long?”

“Dunno,” Frank replied, “Mikey didn’t come back out.”

I nodded solemnly. That was strange, but it seemed right. Mikey should be there for Alicia right now. He should get to be one of the first to see his son or daughter. But his probably scared out of his mind right now. After all, it is his wife in there having his child.

After a while, I stood up. “Where are you going?” Frank asked.

“I need some air,” I told him. Hospitals always made me feel sick. “I’ll be back in a bit.”

I could almost hear Frank nodding his head as I walked down the perfect linoleum stretch. I looked at my watch as I passed Critical Condition. Five thirty. It’ll still be dark. Of course, I already knew that from looking out of the window in front of me, but still.

After searching for a door for about five more minutes, I arrived at the exit into the hospital courtyard. i pushed open the giant blue doors and breathed in the fresh Jersey air. I looked up at the stars and thought.

A lot has changed. In time, and in ourselves. Good changes, bad changes, and ones that will effect us for the rest of our lives. Miracles have happened too. Miracles like me, keeping sober for five years in August. Miracles like Mikey, Frank, and I finding love, and being happy. Miracles like tonight, where my brother’s first child will be born.

I stood in the grassy field, still looking at the sky. Suddenly, a shooting star flew by. My smiled and whispered into the night, “He’s ready...”
++++++++++++++

xXMikey’s POVXx

The doctor didn’t say a word when she came in to check on Alicia. She just stood there in her white coat, writing shit down on the clipboard she had in hand.

I looked up at the clock. Five thirty. God, I’m tired. It’s been three long hours already, but it seems like six. I started to doze again when it happened. Alicia’s grip on my hand tightened. “Mikey,” she said, sounding scared.

“Yea?” I asked, shaking out of my tired state.

“You might wanna get the doctor.”

“Why?”

“Because the baby’s coming,” she half yelled, half cried, “Now!!!”

My eyes widened and I suddenly felt faint. “Oh God.” I can’t do this. Oh God. I’m gonna be a dad. Oh God...

Alicia flinched in pain. Luckily for me, the doctor came in that second. She smiled at me. i think that was the only interaction for the next five minutes. The screaming started....
++++++++++++++

xXGerard’s POVXx

I stayed outside, looking at the stars for several more minutes when Frank came running out of the hospital to me. The way his face looked made me worried. He looked scared. Worried. “Frank,” I started, “What’s going on?”

“Alicia,” he said, “She’s having the baby. Now!”

My eyes bugged out. I felt like I was gonna pass out. But I couldn’t now. I had to be there at this moment. Gotta run. Fast.

“Come on!” i screamed from over my shoulder as I ran, “Hurry!”

Frank nodded and ran after me. We got yelled at by several nurses and one angry security guard started to curse us out, but we didn’t care. All that mattered right now was the miracle that was taking place in this very building.

We got to the door in time to hear the final scream. Bob and Ray were now wide awake, waiting by the door. I ran over and pressed my ear to the small, covered glass window of the door. I heard a soft baby cry and slid to the floor, tears coming down my face.

My brother. A father. That’s hard to believe.

They called us in after about five minutes. We weren’t smiling or frowning. Just a solemn look of worry and joy spread across our faces. The doctor lead us into the small white room, where Alicia was laying on a perfect white bed, with Mikey at her side and a pink bundle in her arms. She looked up from the baby to smile at us.

“She’s cute,” I said, getting a glimpse of the little girl’s face. It was small and round, like Mikey’s when he was little. She had round, bluish hazel eyes and light brown fuzz on her head. I could already see the little bit moving off to the side on the forehead. Definitely Mikey’s hair.

“She is,” Alicia admitted. She smiled down at the my niece. At that moment, the little girl opened her eyes more and looked around the room. First at Mikey, then Alicia, Frank, Ray, and Bob. She finally stopped at me. I smiled at her, remembering when Mikey was born and how he had done the same thing. She smiled at me. I smiled back, tears of joy coming into my eyes, making them blurry.

“I think she likes you Gee,” Mikey said, looking down at his daughter. I nodded my head, not making a sound.

After a few more seconds of silence, a question burst out of me. “What are you naming her?” I asked. I remembered Alicia, six months along at the time, arguing with Mikey over names. I wasn’t sure if they’d decided on one, and I was curious of the choice now.

“Elena Grace,” Mikey told me, kissing the top of his daughters forehead. I smiled. Elena Grace. That’s pretty.

Not much was said after. Within half an hour, Mikey and Alicia had both fallen asleep, and the doctor (who didn’t where a name tag) had taken Elena Grace to the maternity ward. I sort of drifted off from our little group and walked to the big glass window in the ward.

I placed the palm of my hand on the glass and looked in the second row of bassinet's, where Elena Grace was in the middle. She was sound asleep, her head turned slightly to the side and her the little hair she had in her face. I smiled down at her.

A lot had gone on tonight. A little girl was brought into the world by my little brother and his true love. A lot had changed tonight. There was one more addition to not only the Way family, but to our little tight knit group as well. But I kept thinking. A lot had stayed the same too, and a baby can change a lot, but not that much. I know I’m not making sense, but as I walked to my car that night, I realized something.

Nothing ever really changes....