A World I Can't Believe

Chapter 5

I couldn’t sleep. No matter how many sheep I counted or how many bottles of beer I mentally knocked off the wall, nothing could lull me into what I needed: a few hours of nothing. My bed didn’t feel comfortable. Every time I closed my eyes I pictured Robby kissing Sybil, resulting in another fragment of my heart chipping away. I wanted to cry, but I couldn’t.

Lilo and Stitch was playing quietly on my TV. I’d hoped that the little blue creature and his Hawaiian friend could cheer me up like they used to, but I didn’t crack a smile. Even when the classic Elvis Presley songs played, I didn’t feel the urge to sing along. Nothing seemed to be able to cheer me up.

A small noise began to come from my window. I paused the movie and leaned up to see what was causing the noise. I squinted in disbelief once I spotted Alex trying to get in. I scurried out of my bed and stood in front of him, just staring. He knew that if you slip something sturdy yet slender like a blade under the middle of the window and pushed up, you could open it without any trouble. He noticed me watching once he’d had it open and was climbing through the small opening.

“How long have you been standing there?” he asked, looking at me with as much confusion as I was sure I was showing. I didn’t answer. I didn’t know whether to scream or remain calm. I chose the latter of the two and continued to stare. Alex sighed in frustration and turned to shut the window. I watched as he made his way to my bed, not taking his eyes off of me as he did so. He sat on the edge and began patting the spot next to him, but I didn’t move.

“Look Mary Ashton. If you’re trying to play some joke, pretending you don’t know me, it’s not funny,” he huffed. I looked down at my hands. I wished he would have told me he was only joking, and that Robby would walk in and engulf me in his arms, kissing me like he was kissing Sibyl. He would have explaining to do for that of course. “You’re acting like you don’t know me,” he added sadly.

Because I don’t fucking know you!, my head screamed at him. You’re not my boyfriend! I wish you would leave and give Robby back!

I stood still, avoiding as much eye contact as I could. His eyes were staring daggers into my flesh, breaking me even more than I already was. He had no business helping himself into my room, let alone to talk to me like he knew me. He didn’t know me.

“Baby, please-“

“I need to be alone,” I interrupted him. My eyes shifted from my wall to the floor. “You can leave now.”

He didn’t move. I mentally begged him to get up and climb back out my window. He sat still for a few more minutes before standing up. I watched his feet shuffle to the window and out of the corner of my eye I saw him climb out, shutting the window behind him without saying a word.
♠ ♠ ♠
it's extremely short, yes. needless to say, i'm pissed. not because of the lack of comments, but because of other things. comment to make me feel better? D: