I Can't Be What You Are

Breaking Windows

Cassandra’s P.O.V.

After school that day; I decided it was time to get my mind off things. Miraculously during French class; the mollusks of my imagination had though up the perfect solution.

Baseball.

I had walked by the sports bulletin today and saw that there were baseball team tryouts. So I decided to give it a try.

Rushing home, I picked up the necessary equipment and left the house without a word.

I watched as the other students trying out warmed up with stretches and such. I smirked and started to warm up myself.

“Alright girls! Form a circle!” The woman who I assumed was the coach spit. Her voice was strong; almost manly.

All the girls ran to the middle of the diamond and almost sat on the damp grass until they realized it was mud-capped.

“HUSTLE!” she yelled as a few of the more image centered girls dallied. I really didn’t know what they were doing here. “Were going to start with a weave. I want you to stand over there; you’ll be left field… if you know what that is.” She muttered the last part as she pointed to one of the girls standing close to me.

She was talking on her cell phone earlier while chewing a piece of gum.

I scoffed.

Unfortunately--it wasn’t left unnoticed.

“You! You think you can laugh at someone?! Well if you think you’re so righteous, than you can be the hitter!” She glared my way.

I grimaced and took my spot.

Everyone else got into position as well. The coach explained about following the ball (for those of which baseball doesn’t come naturally.)

The coach didn’t bother explaining anything to me; she got gave me a small nod and parted to her bench.

I threw my bat lightly in the air gaining strange looks from almost everyone.

Ignoring it; I caught it gently and held it in perfect position; I could practically see the ball going over the fence. I gave the girl who was assigned to pitching an apologetic look--not because of what I said or rather smirked about before, but because I was a competitive player. I never lose.

She threw the ball right at me. I didn’t give any sort of expression as to not anger the coach further.

I swung my bat to the minimum--even less of my ability, to give the newbie’s a fair try.

But I nearly gapped when I saw that it went more then over the fence.

Realizing that I was giving them time to recover, I dropped the bat and ran to first base.

Then second,

And third.

In less then 10 seconds. I looked around to see everyone in a daze.

I was horrified with myself, I don’t know what has been causing all these changes to be occurring in my body; and I vowed to keep it a secret until I found out the problem, but it was just getting too complicated.

“Ahaha, wow. Red Bull really does do wonders doesn’t it?” I scratched the back of my neck and laughed nervously.

Everyone was still looking at me like I was Jesus. I sighed and tried to give another student the bat, but none of them responded. I shrugged softly and placed it on the empty side of the bench.

Shortly after I was gone, everyone resumed playing. Not as if everything were normal, they were all unusually stiff and careful, the last thing I would expect in baseball.

First thing I would expect in a more intelligent sport… like chess.

I checked the clock in my car to see that it was only 3:30. only six hours and fourty five more minutes to kill before I could go to bed and expect another day.

Time was starting to pass unbearably slow. Weeks felt like months, days felt like weeks, hours felt like days, minutes felt like hours. With all the time I have on my hands, all the changes happening so quickly will be harder to catch up with.

As soon as I parked into the driveway, I felt my phone vibrate. I looked at it to see Howard’s name in the caller ID. I didn’t know if I should pick up or not. I didn’t want to be rude, and I did want to talk to him; but at the same time--I don’t.

I decided to pick up.

“Hello?”

“Hey Cassandra.”

“Hey, whats up?”

“Nothing really, you wanna hang tonight, Mike and Jessica are going out to dinner tonight; they wanted to know if we could make it a double date.”

“Oh, I don’t really know Mike and Jessica…”

“Perfect chance to get acquainted. How about it?”

“Sure, why not? Pick me up at 7ish?”

“Alright, cya!” He sounded cheerful.

My lips curved into a small smile. “Bye.”

He disconnected. I took my things and unlocked the door.

I didn’t make a noise, I could hear Monica talking on the phone, Gabe hovering behind her. I hid behind the door frame and listened in.

“C’mon Monica, put it on speaker, I need to hear too!”

“Fine, just shush!” She yelled back.

In a second, I could hear Carlisle’s godlike voice speaking over the phone.

“As things stand now, it’s best to let her figure things out on her own. Chances are when it happens--and she will know when it happens, she will come to me. I am sure of it.”

“But, she’s going to hate us after this… All the lies and the pain she’s going to have to go through. We could have spared it all.” Monica looked down.

“I agree, but theirs nothing we can do about it. It’s our responsibility, we, err--I got us into this, and we just have to endure it. She’s almost 18 anyway; she’ll be out of here regardless.” Gabe said rather selfishly.

“I suppose your right.” Monica said.

Carlisle acted like she wasn’t listening.

“Let me know if anything strange happens. You know where to reach me.” Carlisle cut in.

“Alright, bye.” Monica said and hung up.

I felt anger boiling inside me. But I had to hold it in, at least until whatever they were talking about happened.

Third Persons P.O.V.

Stealthily, Cassie made her way out of the house without a sound. She put her bag and other unnecessary items in the passengers’ seat of the car and slammed the door shut. It was only four o’clock, and she had decided to take a walk.

She let her tiny feet practically dance with the leaves across the paved sidewalk as she looked around at the greenery with her hands intertwined behind her back. Making turns she didn’t know where leading, she started to get more lost in her own train of through, not even realizing she might be being followed…

“I saw you play baseball; good job.” Emmett said almost breathlessly as he approached Cassandra.

She turned to look at him with a kinder smile. “Thanks, I love baseball. Though I never though I was that good, it was always just a hobby of mine I would play with my dad.”

“Me too… The love part I mean.” He chuckled.

Cassie laughed. “So... Why are you out here?” she asked pointing to the mossy green canvas surrounding them.

“I could ask you the same question, it’s more unusual for a girl to be out here than a boy--don’t you think?” He smirked.

“No, not really. I came out here to admire nature, I’m sure I’m not the only one with that notion in mind.”

“I see. Well, you must agree that you’re more prone to find a boy out here.”

“Actually, you’re more prone not to find anyone out here! Look around.” She laughed as they turned the other way.

“Oh I see how it is, you’re playing tricks on me now? Two can play at that game, Cassie.” He chuckled and punched Cassie playfully in the arm.

Cassie laughed loudly and happily, suddenly coming back to her senses.

“I’d prefer if you called me Cassandra; I-it makes me remember when you call me Cassie…”

“Oh sorry.” Emmett looked away.

There was an awkward silence for a couple of minutes, until Cassie decided to break the silence.

“Well; it was nice seeing you Emmett, But I have somewhere I really need to go. Bye!” Cassie finally scurried away without another word.

She ran as fast as she could for her car. She opened the door and plunged into the front seat and panted heavily. She put her hands on the wheel and rested her cold face on the cold horn. Cassie shivered and took it away while rubbing the side of her cheek with her hand.

She looked at her clock realizing it was six thirty and she was still in her mud drenched school clothes. (Cassie slid to get home after a home run.)

“Gah!” She yelled in frustration. Her scowl however, slowly faded into a smirk when she saw the strong oak tree standing tall, next to her bedroom window, unaware who was about to climb it.

Sliding out of her car, she slithered past the large window that revealed the heart of the house to the currently empty street--almost getting seen by Gabe.

Soon enough, Cassie was letting her hands wrap around branches and push her feet against the bark until she was next to her window.

Cassandra tried to open the window with both hands with only her feet on a skinny branch to support her. She used little force to push it up and nearly fell down until she let both her hands grab onto a branch.

Cassie smirked as she though of a plan.

Holding the branch securely, she broke off the branch her feet where on with the heel of her shoe and swung back and forth until she had gathered enough force to break through the window.

Only to fall onto Gabe.

“WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING CASSIE?!” Gabriel yelled furiously and dusted himself up, while lending Cassandra a hand. She gave him a cold glare and got up herself, dusting herself just as he.

“I… have a date, and I needed to change.”

“SO YOU HAD TO SWING THROUGH THE WINDOW?!”

“Using the door is vastly overrated these days. Haven’t you heard? And these movies about breaking through a window really influence youth these days.” Cassie said crossing her arms.

“Cassandra, you have some problems, don’t do it again.” Gabe stormed out the door.

Cassie smirked. “Serves you right.” She muttered and started to change.

As she applied her make up, she saw Howard walk up the porch steps. She smiled weakly and tightened the lid on the liquid eyeliner and ran down the stairs before her sibling could open the door.

“Lets go Howard.” She rushed him out the door, slipping on black ballet flats.

“Wow, that was your dad? He’s young.” Howard said referring to a lingering Gabe.

“The older male sibling actually, forget him.” She smiled and followed Howard around the corner to a car she didn’t recognize.

“Mike insisted on driving.” He chuckled. She nodded and entered in the back.

“Hi!” Jessica said cheerfully. “I’m Jessica, you’re Cassandra right?”

“Yeah that’s right.” Cassie gave her a charming smile.

“Cool, you know Bella Swan right? She says you’re pretty cool.”

“Hm, yeah, were Bella and I are cool I guess. I don’t see her much these days.”

“That’s because she spends almost all her time with the Cullens. Alice and Edward to be specific.” Jessica informed.

“Oh really? I didn’t know she was involved with them…”

“How could you not?” Jessica asked in awe.

Cassie blushed. “I’m pretty new, so I don’t really know all the gossip.”

“Come to me any time. I’m the eyes, ears, and mouth of the school.”

“I though Eric was the eyes and ears!” Mike chuckled from the front.

“Pfft, he so ripped that off from me.” Jessica laughed, as did Howard and Cassandra.

Fitting in wont be so hard after all… Cassandra though.