Two Kids, One Love, Who Cares If We Make It Up?

Everything's going to be okay

Lying on my back on top of my covers, I stared up at my ceiling tiredly. Its ten o’clock on a Friday night, I should be out at a party, I should be hanging out with friends at a show, and I should be doing something other than lying in my bed bored shitless. Instead, I’m being punished by my parents for my latest act of stupidity; getting drunk with my friends after a show last weekend then we ran around the parking lot setting off car alarms while screaming at each other using shitty English accents.

It was all in good fun and nothing got damaged; people were just annoyed that’s all. The cops didn’t find it very amusing, neither did my parents. They scolded me when I got home from the police station, telling me that was something that they expected out of Jake, not me. They told me that I was the responsible older brother, that I should be setting an example for Jake. With all honesty, I think I’ve set a pretty damn good example. I bring home decent grades, I’ve been on the baseball team every year since freshman year, I was on the basketball team through my junior year and I have a loving fiancé. My life is far from screwed up, and I just slipped up once and they’re punishing me like I committed a felony or murder.

The only thing my parents are letting me do is to talk to Peyton for twenty minutes once a day, which is better than nothing. When Peyton found out what I did, all she did was laugh at me and tell me it serves me right to be grounded for acting like a jackass. She wasn’t mad though, because she knew if she were here she would’ve been right next to me the entire time setting off car alarms with me.

Along with punishing me with no end in sight, my parents took my spring break away which would’ve started tomorrow and I would already packed, but they ‘can’t trust me right now’ so I can’t go. Fair enough, but now I can’t see Peyton, which sucks.

Loudly, I heard the house phone ring making me frown deeply as I turned my head towards my bedroom door. Rolling my eyes, I looked back up at my ceiling knowing that the phone call is probably for Jake and that he’ll be leaving for some sort of house party in a matter of minutes. If my parents knew the things Jake does and gets away with, they wouldn’t be punishing me so harshly right now and Jake would be locked up in his room with no contact to the outside world.

Sighing to myself, I rolled over onto me side then looked at one of many framed pictures of Peyton and me. I felt a smile tug on my lips before I closed my eyes, picturing Peyton wearing a red bikini on the beaches of Cabos.

Suddenly my bedroom door opened and my over head light turned on, making me jump out of shock. Once I was sitting up, I looked over to see that it was my Dad standing in my door way looking extremely worried, scared even.

“What?” I asked, “I haven’t moved from my room all night.”

“Johno,” He started, “Peyton’s in a coma at the hospital.”

Feeling my heart practically stop within my rib cage, I just stared back at my Dad as his words sank into my head.

“That was Danny on the phone; she went to a party earlier tonight with some of her friends and Sean. He said that Sean left for maybe an hour and when he came back he couldn’t find Peyton, no one could. When they went searching the beach for her, they found her passed out and non-responsive. They got her to the hospital as quickly as they could; her blood alcohol levels were through the roof. She has alcohol poisoning.”

I frowned as I shook my head, “No, Peyton knows her limit.” I muttered then I got up, “I have to get to her,” I said simply as I quickly started to throw a few changes of clothes into a back pack.

“Well, hold on a minute,” My Dad demanded, “Danny is going to call back within the hour for more details about everything, there is no sense in you going over there just to sit around and feel helpless.”

“So you want me to sit around and feel helpless here!?” I screamed with anger in my voice, “No! My fiancé is over there laying in a hospital bed in a coma! Do you know that people don’t wake up from those sometimes!? Do you know how terrified hospitals make Peyton!? She hates them with a passion unless it’s the maternity ward!”

He just looked at me, “Don’t you go getting in the way.” He demanded with a stern voice.

“If anyone will be in the way, it’s going to be Sean.” I growled as I slung my bag over my shoulder and shoved my feet into my shoes, “She called me ten minutes before she left, she was going to a bon fire, there were going to be people there that she had never met before. Sean was supposed to be there, how could he even think about leaving her alone at a bon fire with a bunch of people who are 21 years old and older. She was the youngest person there.” I growled, “I wouldn’t have even done that, even if I was hammered I would have never thought about leaving Peyton at that kind of party alone; never.”

“He doesn’t care about her the way you do.” My Dad said softly then he stopped me as I tried to storm passed him, “Look at me,” I looked at him, “You call me as soon as you land, then as soon as you get to the hospital. No drinking, no partying and as soon as she is home and ok, your ass is going to be on the first plane back, do you hear me?”

I nodded, “Can I go now?”

“Let me get my shoes on and I’ll make sure you get on a plane.” He muttered then left my room before me. I followed him out but as he went back towards his and my Mom’s room, I practically ran down the stairs. Once I was down there, Jake looked at me with serious eyes, “I have a feeling Sean didn’t tell Danny the whole story.” Jake muttered.

I shook my head, “No, I don’t think he did. Because none of Peyton’s friends were there, she was going with Sean so he didn’t have to go alone. Then he leaves her alone? He was probably looking for pussy.”

“Watch your mouth,” My Dad growled as he walked down the stairs.

I glanced over my shoulder then clenched my jaw though I said nothing. He grabbed his keys, “I told Mom what happened,” He muttered then he looked at Jake, “Mom is getting up, I told her that I said no to your friends party, don’t even think about asking her. You’re home tonight, end of discussion.”

Jake just nodded then he looked back at me, “I hope she’s alright.” He muttered.

“For Sean’s sake, me too,” I paused, “Because if she isn’t alright …” I trailed off not finishing my sentence, knowing damn well that if I did my Father would refuse to let me leave this house until I had calmed down.

The next few hours as I got on a plane, flew to Norfolk’s international airport and got a rental car to drive to Virginia Beach, it seemed like a huge blur that took years instead of hours. I knew nothing about Peyton’s condition and my bitterness towards Sean grew. I know I promised Peyton that I would try to get along with him for her, but this … this is unforgivable after the shit that he said to me and the way he made it seem like he loves her more. I don’t think I can forgive him for this, I really don’t.

Once at the hospital that Peyton is in, I parked my rental then hurried inside. Already knowing what room she was in, I went straight to the elevators and up to the third floor. As the elevators opened and I stepped out, now on the third floor, I looked around before deciding to turn left to look for room 3008.

My decision in turning left proved to be right when I saw Sean and Danny standing outside of a closed door. I frowned deeply not knowing why they were outside of the room instead of inside.

“Johno,” Danny gasped with relief as he threw his arms around me, hugging me tightly.

I hugged back then pulled away, “What’s going on in there?”

“The nurse is changing her into a different gown,” He informed me.

“Oh,” I nodded, that explains why they’re out here instead of inside, “Is she ok?”

“She’s still in a coma.” Danny informed me, “The doctors said that they’re pretty sure that she’s going to be alright, we just have to wait. It hasn’t even been twenty four hours yet, she could wake up anywhere from a minute to two weeks from now.”

The door opened and the nurse smiled softly as she walked out. She glanced at me then at Danny, “Only two visitors at a time, sir.”

Danny nodded then sighed, “I probably should get home, let Kathy come up here while I stay with the boys.” He frowned then looked at me; “Johno, you and Sean can stay …” He trailed off then looked at me, “Promise me that nothing will happen.”

I knew exactly what he was talking about, I may look scrawny and weak but I’m told I throw a pretty mean punch and I know how to fight.

“Promise,” I whispered then walked into Peyton’s room to see her just lying on her back with an IV in her arm and oxygen tube in her nose. “Oh fuck,” I muttered as I slowly walked over and sat down on the chair next to her bed, “Ducky,” I whispered as I took her hand in mine.

After a few minutes of just spacing out, I looked up from my comatose fiancé and saw that Danny was now gone and he left Sean here. Sean was standing at the foot of Peyton’s bed, his arms crossed over his chest and his eyes glued to his cousin. I glared evilly, sensing me Sean looked over at me and glared back, “Don’t even fucking start right now, John.”

“You left her alone at a bon fire.” I pointed out, ignoring his threat.

“It was a get together,”

“It was a bon fire,” I growled, “I talked to her ten minutes before you picked her up, I know exactly why she went, where it was, and what it was. It wasn’t some get together it was a fucking bon fire with a bunch of drunken adults 21 years of age and older. And you left her alone!”

“And you’re going to sit there and tell me that you’ve never left her alone at a party.”

I shook my head, “No, I haven’t ever left her alone at a party, and if I did leave the party before she did I made sure that she had a ride home and that she was with one of our friends, I just didn’t leave her.” I growled lowly then put my hand up towards him, “Can you leave or just stand outside? I don’t want to fight right now I have better things to worry about and I can’t even be in the same room as you’re in.”

“She’s my cousin.”

“And she’s the girl I’m going to marry, get the fuck out!” I ordered, raising my voice.

Sean glared meanly then left without another word to be said. I turned back towards Peyton and sighed, “Damnit Ducky, you know better,” I muttered knowing that Peyton knows her limit when it comes to booze; when she drinks she drinks ‘smart’ unless it’s just the two of us with another friend or two and we know that we won’t be driving or needed to leave. This would’ve never happened if Sean just stayed with her, or at least within sight of her.

I just hope she wakes up soon and everything turns out to be alright.

------------------------------------------

Opening my eyes slowly, I looked around with squinted eyes, scanning my surroundings having no idea where I am. As I continued to look around, I gathered enough to know that I was in the hospital, but the reason for being in the hospital still unknown to me. Closing my eyes tightly, I felt my head throb with pain just it would if I had a hang over.

I opened my eyes once more then took another glance around the room but this time I felt someone shift my bed. Frowning to myself, I knew I didn’t make the movements. Sitting up slowly, I saw that there was someone in a chair next to my bed with their head on the edge of the sleeping rather restlessly. By their hair and the way they were dressed, I knew exactly who it was; John.

If John is here, it means the reason for my hospital stay is serious and that he was too scared to stay back in Arizona and wait for news. Lifting my hand closest to his head, I ran my fingers through his short hair but said nothing as my finger tips gently massaged his scalp. Stirring slightly, John lifted his head and looked at me tiredly. He stared at me for a moment then his eyes went wide, “Peyton!” He snapped, “You’re awake!”

I forced a smile then nodded, “Yeah,”

His face became serious, “You’ve been in a coma for almost three weeks.” He whispered softly.

“I have?” I croaked my throat dry and sore.

He nodded, confirming what he had just said. He sat up better and scooted towards my bed more. Running a warm hand down my cheek he forced a smile, “I love you,”

“I love you, too.” I replied.

“I swear to god if you ever do that to me again, I’ll beat the living shit out of you.” He said with a serious face but I knew he was joking.

“I don’t remember anything,” I frowned as I closed my eyes, “I remember being on the phone with you then going somewhere with Sean, after that it’s like a big black hole of nothingness.”

“You went to a bon fire, drank too much, passed out and got alcohol poisoning.” John informed me with a stern voice, clearly telling me he still wasn’t too happy about this whole situation.

Watching his facial expressions intently, I could tell that he was feeling a million different emotions at this moment, “I’m sorry,” I apologized.

He looked straight into my eyes and just shook his head, “Don’t be sorry, ducky.” He whispered as he sat up just a bit and leaned over, kissing my lips lightly, “I’m just glad that you’re ok.” He muttered then stood up to his feet, “I’m going to go get the nurse then call your parents, ok?”

I nodded.

He pointed to me, “Don’t go anywhere,” He smirked playfully then he left the room.

I laughed but said nothing before watching him disappear. Lying there, I felt horrible and extremely guilty for some reason. Apparently, I drank too much but there had to have been a reason behind my drinking. I don’t usually drink like that, especially at a bon fire, I’m usually really careful about those because most of the time I need to stay somewhat decent in order to find a way home after everything is over.

Hearing someone come into my room, I just assumed it was John, “How long have you been here, Johno?” I questioned then looked over to see that it was my fiancé but rather my cousin.

“The nurse said she’d be in, in a minute.” He muttered.

I sat up just alittle, “What happened?” I asked sternly, knowing that I was there with him, or at least he picked me up to go to the bon fire.

“What do you mean, I left for a little bit to talk to a girl and when I came back you were no where to be found.”

I frowned then shook my head, “I don’t remember any of that.”

“You passed out,” He muttered.

“You’re lying.” I made a face, “I feel guilty, I feel …” I trailed off not really knowing exactly how I feel besides guilty.

Sean clenched his jaw, “The hospital performed a rape kit on you.”

My eyes got wide with fear, “What?”

“You weren’t raped,” He assured me then licked his lips before reaching up behind his neck as he looked over his shoulder then sat down, “Peyton did you know you were pregnant?”

I shook my head no, “I was pregnant?”

He nodded, “You miscarried, and we haven’t told John because we didn’t know if you even knew.”

“Sean, you know why I drank like I did,” I whispered, “I know you know,”

He inhaled deeply then frowned, “We got into a fight,”

“About?”

“About you leaving Virginia Beach, about John … I was bad mouthing him because you had just told me about what he did with his friends and I started talking shit. I left because I was pissed off, you told me you could handle yourself and I said fine, go ahead then I left. When I came back you had left the bon fire with some guy, but when I found him he was with a different girl complaining about how you passed out and wouldn’t put out …”

“I don’t want to hear anymore,” I demanded as I shook my head, “I think I can piece together the rest.” I muttered.

“John’s been here since the day you were admitted into the hospital. He hasn’t left your side, he spends every night here, he only goes back to your parents’ house to shower and change clothes then he’s right back here. I never understood the level of your relationship with John, I under estimated it and I’m truly sorry for that.”

I turned my head away from my cousin and looked towards the window, “I was pregnant?”

“Five weeks,” He informed me.

I felt tears forming in my eyes but I said nothing more as I they slowly fell down my cheeks.

“I’m gone for five minutes and you already make her cry!?” John growled, “Fuck, just leave!”

I turned my head towards my fiancé and my tears started falling faster. John hurried over next to me and wiped them away quickly. He muttered a few words of comfort that I didn’t really catch then he frowned, “Ducky? Sweetheart what’s wrong?”

“I was pregnant,” I informed him bluntly.

John just stared at me blankly then frowned for a moment, “You were pregnant?”

I nodded.

“How is that possible? You’re on birth control.”

“That doesn’t mean anything; do you know how many people get pregnant while on birth control?”

“You miscarried?” He asked.

I nodded again, “I guess that’s what everyone is telling me.”

John shook his head then kissed my forehead, “its ok, we can get you pregnant again later on. The only thing that matters right now is that you’re awake and healthy.”

I wrapped my arms around him tightly and sighed loudly as I closed my eyes.

“Everything’s going to be ok.” John whispered in my ear softly.

I just nodded a bit but didn’t let him go; I was ready to let him go just yet. This is too much too soon. But John’s right; Everything’s going to be ok.