Two Kids, One Love, Who Cares If We Make It Up?

Going Home

“So, I passed?” I asked the silver haired lady.

Peering over the top of her reading glasses, she simply nodded her head once then looked back down at my GED test results, “You did. Congratulations.” She insisted as she handed the results to me.

I smiled happily, “Thank you, so much.” I said politely before hurrying out of the small classroom like room and out into the hallway. Angie looked at me with a bored stare, “Took you long enough,” She complained, “Did you pass?”

“Yeah,” I answered with a laugh.

She frowned, “Does this mean you’re leaving me for lame ass Arizona now?”

I thought for a moment then nodded, “Basically, but why don’t you come with me. Once you graduate come out to Tempe and you can go to ASU with Johno and I.” I insisted.

Angie exhaled loudly, “I was going to take a year off before I went into college.”

“Well, there’s a Red Robin’s over there you can work at,” I smirked, “Plus, those Arizona boys are real cute. There’s nothing better than a cute Arizona boy, just ask me, I know … I have one.”

She laughed at me then she gave in, “Fine, but the only way my parents are going to go for me moving that far away is if they know we’ll be roomies.”

“Deal, we’ll get an apartment and you can live with us.”

She rolled her eyes, “Can we go now? I’m fucking starving and Keith has been blowing up my inbox with nasty texts because we’re late for lunch.”

I nodded, “Yeah, let’s get going. Thank you for coming with me, I was really nervous and didn’t want to come alone.”

“Don’t mention it, but when I get to Arizona you’re gonna hook me up with a boy, a few boys for that matter.”

“John has some really cute friends.” I admitted.

“I’m telling him you said that.”

“He knows,”

“I don’t get you two at all, you two are the cutest most strangest couple I have ever seen.”

“I’ll take that as a compliment,” I smirked as we left the building and walked out to my car. Things fell quiet between us until I was on the road and well on our way to the deli where we told Keith we would meet up with him.

“Are you ever going to talk to Sean again?” Angie whispered cautiously.

I frowned at the sound of my cousin’s name, “I don’t know,”

“I think you should, he really wants to talk to you. At least hear him out.”

I glanced at her then at the road, “Why are you bringing this up?”

“He keeps texting me, and calling me. He wants to know if you’ve cooled down yet and you have but … I don’t know.” She trailed off a bit, “Before you up and leave, I think you should talk to him. He feels guilty enough, if you leave without a single word to him, he’s going to feel worse.”

“Well,” I defended.

“Well, you’ve been out of the hospital for two weeks; John has been gone for one. You just took your GED and you’ll probably be gone by the weekend once John finds out what you did. I’m not saying you have to be buddy buddies with the guy, just let him know that you’re ok, that you’re over it and you’re moving on.”

“I’m not over it, I’m just moving on.”

“Then get over it,” She said bluntly, “It was an accident, and it was your punk ass that got drunk. Like John said, you knew your limit, this isn’t just Sean’s fault; it’s yours too.” She pointed out simply, “I know you lost your baby, but you didn’t even know you were pregnant, how could you have been that attached? You can always try again, I’m sure John is more than willing to knock you up the second you get to Tempe.”

“He should’ve never acted the way he did.”

“No, he shouldn’t have. He should’ve stopped trying to play big brother and just be a friend instead but guess what, he didn’t. You should still talk to him, work shit out … trust me, in five or ten years looking back on this, it’s going to seem so petty and if you don’t make things right, you and Sean may never have a relationship together again.”

I frowned deeply then nodded a bit, Angie is right I guess. I looked over at her then back at the road, “Things will never be the same between us,” I pointed out.

“So? You had a life changing event happen, nothing is the same. You’re not the same anymore, you almost died.” She insisted, “Just make sure you’re on good terms.” She demanded, “Or I won’t let you leave, I’ll steal you and hold you hostage until you work shit out.”

I laughed at her, knowing damn well that she would do just that, if I decided to leave before talking to Sean.

“Fine, I’ll talk to him.”

“Good, he’s at the deli right now with Keith.”

I made a face, “Are you shitting me?”

“Nope,” She shook her head with a smile on her face then fell quiet as she reached forward and turned on my radio.

Biting my lip, I felt myself get nervous. I haven’t seen Sean since I was in the hospital; I’ve blocked all of his texts, ignored his calls and deleted all of his e-mails. I wasn’t ready to talk to him, I’m still not but I have to whether I like it or not, Angie is completely right. I shouldn’t leave things how they are between us, it’s wrong and it was my fault that what happened, happened. Yeah Sean triggered it, but I was the one who decided to drink, I didn’t have to stay at the bon fire, I didn’t have to drink, I could’ve easily called Keith or Angie to come get me, or I could’ve gotten a taxi home.

I guess I’m more pissed off about how he talked about John then anything. The things he said about him with the tone of voice he used made me feel like I hated Sean. I love John, and it pisses me off when people can’t see that or they put our love down. John and I have a great relationship but we’ve also had to defend our love countless times because we’re so young, I guess I didn’t feel like I deserved it from Sean.

Pulling up into an empty parking space in the Deli’s parking lot, I made a face when I spotted Sean’s car. Glancing over at Angie just nodded a little bit before climbing out of my car. I followed her actions, getting out as well, “I got tired waiting for you two diva’s so I ordered my food; obviously.” Keith said from an outside table.

I looked at him and he smiled, “You passed.” He said simply.

“Yep,” I nodded, “Good times,” I muttered then my eyes shifted to Sean who was sitting across the table from Keith. Sean stood up slowly and looked at me, “Can we talk?” He asked, “I wont be very long, I have an appointment to get to.”

“Sure,” I whispered as I walked away from my friends with Sean following me. Once we were out of hearing distance, Sean took it upon himself to talk first.

“So, you passed your GED and you’re moving, huh?”

“Yeah, I thought about finishing out the school year, I only have a few weeks left, but I really want to get back to Arizona. I’m not ready to be this far away from Johno so soon after my brush with death.” I laughed softly, “I’ll probably be on a plane to Phoenix by tomorrow night to be honest.”

“That’s good,” He whispered, “You seem happy.”

“I am.” I made a face, “I’m sorry about everything, this wasn’t your fault. I want you to know that.”

“It was,”

“Well, you were apart of it, but I made my choices and they were wrong. I’m sorry.”

“Me too,” He licked his lips, “I know you don’t really want to talk to me or anything but I just want you to know that I’m always here for you, no matter what.”

“Thank you, I’m here for you too.” I mumbled.

He smiled softly then sighed, “So, after you’re gone I guess I’ll have to hang out around the house more, keep Ted in line.”

I smiled, “Or just play basket ball with him,” I whispered, “Let him get hurt then laugh at him when he does. He’s a seven year old, he’s not that fragile.”

He wrapped his arms around me tightly then let go a few seconds later, “Have fun in Tempe, and don’t forget to call and let me know when you become Mrs. John O’Callaghan.”

“The fifth,” I mumbled, “Johno is a fifth.”

“Is he really?”

I nodded, “Yeah, really. And we’re going to have the sixth, hopefully.”

He laughed at me then nodded, “Well, just call so I can send you guys a gift or something.”

“Ok,”

“Alright, be safe … and tell John I’m sorry too.” He smiled then with that he walked away, pulling his car keys out of his pocket. I waited and watched him drive away before I turned my attention to my best friends sitting at the same table Keith was at when we pulled up, both of them just staring at me intently.

I flashed them a smile before walking over and sitting down, “What?”

“So, what was that about?” Keith questioned simply.

“We worked things out, we’re on good terms but we’re definitely going separate ways. Maybe it’s best that we only see each other at major holiday’s once a year.”

Keith and Angie both nodded, agreeing with me then Keith frowned, “So, I just found out that I have to move to Tempe.”

I raised my eyebrow, “What?”

“Yeah, turns out that I’m not ready to give up my fight to win you over.” He smirked, “I gotta be there, just incase Johno fucks up.” He said, only half joking. Keith is openly attracted to me, but he isn’t the type to break up a happy home and not to mention he’s not ready to be a taken man, he loves single life, he loves going to parties and flirting with the girls with no consequences.

“Are you seriously moving to Tempe?”

He nodded, “I’ll get an apartment over there, Angie can live with me instead of you and Johno, because you two will be newlyweds, no one wants to be roommates with a couple of newlyweds.” He smiled, “If you get what I’m trying to say.”

I laughed at him and nodded, “I guess that’s right,” I agreed.

Keith smiled at me then shook his head before taking a drink, “When are you leaving?”

“As soon as I can pack my bags,” I answered, “I already quit my job.”

He nodded then looked at Angie, “When do you graduate?”

“Not for another two weeks,” She informed him, “But I wont be able to head out there until at least two weeks into the summer, my parents are taking me over to Europe for my graduation present. It’s sort of like our last family vacation that we’ll all be on.”

Keith made a face, “Well, maybe I’ll head over there in a few weeks and look for places to live and find a job.” He sighed loudly, “Do you and Johno take any camping trips?”

I shrugged, “No, we don’t really camp.” I admitted, “But we take trips to Lake Havasu, sometimes we’ll head down to Mexico for a weekend … and we always take a trip to San Diego the last week of summer break, its tradition. We pack up the SUV with our friend’s then road trip over there and become beach bums for a week.”

Keith smiled but said nothing as he seemed to be thinking. Angie smirked, “You are so taking me to all of those places.”

“Deal,” I laughed.

She smiled more then got up, “I’m going to go get my food; I’m starving.” She mumbled before disappearing inside the deli. Keith turned his gaze to me and frowned gently but said nothing before he smiled, “Do you know any hot girls out there?”

I shrugged, “None of my friends back there will probably talk to me, I didn’t exactly leave on good graces out there. I was really only hanging out with Johno and his cousin Delaney.”

“Delaney,” He mumbled then smiled, “Is she hot?”

“She’s not ugly,” I answered, “But don’t even think about it, she’s Johno’s cousin.”

He rolled his eyes but said nothing as he fell quiet once more and went back to picking through what was left of his sandwich.

I know that I should tough it out for the last few weeks, but I can’t. I need to be with Johno, I need to go home. Virginia has been interesting to say the least, but it’s still not home no matter how much I tried, I’m just not an east coast kid I guess. They say home is where the heart is, and my heart will always belong in Tempe, Arizona.