Not Meant for Me

Twenty Three

The holidays had come and gone. In my opinion not fast enough. The last place I wanted to be was Malfoy Manor after my debacle with Lucius. Last night we arrived back at the school, where I spent my time in the common room until wee hours into the night. Once I heard the girls fumbling around for classes, I had just finally fallen to sleep.

“How late were you up last night? I never heard you come back into the room.” Affinity questioned as we headed down to the Great Hall.

“Oh, until around four.” I replied.

“Wow, why such a late night? Save all of your holiday homework for last minute?”

“Yeah, you know we had an exciting and busy holiday as usual.” I replied with more normalcy in my voice.

“I spent the holiday in Paris. The Eiffel Tower was actually really beautiful-being built by muggles and all.”

“Move it Parkinson.” I demand while waiting to take my seat at the long table.

“I'm talking with Draco-”

“I didn't ask you what you were doing. I told you to move.”

“Not all of us got to spend our holidays with-”

“Draco wouldn't want to spend the holiday with you, you dog faced girl. Now move it.” And it clicks and she cries. Looking absolutely appalled Parkinson stormed off with tears running down her canine face.

“Wow. Little harsh Pandora don't you think?” Affinity asks as we take our seats.

“Okay next time she can curse you and I won't intervene.”

As if I couldn't see them behind me, Affinity makes a face at Draco questioning my current mood.

“I'm tired of seeing that little disease everywhere I go. Draco she doesn't do anything remotely useful for you, so you should really stop stringing the little flake along.”

“Pretty sure you did that for me.” He replied through a sip of pumpkin juice. “Also, you left your Potions essay in my bag,” He said as he reached for it in his bag.

“Thanks. I'm actually not too hungry so I'll see you both in Transfiguration.”

I make a rapid walk to the third floor corridor bathroom to steal a moment to myself before classes. I pull a flask from my bag and take a long gulp. I took the firewater from the personal stash of Lucius, something he won't notice while I'm around. Sitting against the stall door I take another long sip and stare off into the dingy wall. There's barely any light peering through the windows. It's a dark January morning. The snow is falling heavy from a dark grey sky, accumulating in feet outside the castle.

One more sip and I store the flask deep within my bag and get up to my feet. Better get this day started, the first day back is always the toughest.

After Transfiguration’s Professor McGonagall sent me to the new Headmasters office. Halfway through class she received an owl from that troll Umbridge requesting to see me after her class. This ought to be good. With a note in hand to excuse me from any Professors that I meet on my way, I take the long way up to the Headmasters office. Stealing a swig from my flask I am feeling a bit better by the time I make it to the griffin statue.

“Bernie Bott's Every Flavored Beans.” The statue stands much like it's name and doesn't move. “Hmph. Must have changed the password... Pink Nightmare from Hell?... Hmm...” I look over my excuse and notice in the top corner the word 'kitten'. Gross. “Kitten.” And the statue rotates. Double gross.

“Miss Lestrange,” Umbridge says in what she must think is her sweetest voice. I literally flinch when I walk in. The office is head to toe pink. The walls, the furniture and there are cat plates everywhere.

“I never thought I'd say I'd wish to see Headmaster Dumbledore...” Oh did I say that out loud?

Umbridge makes a gagging noise at my moment and her face turns an uglier shade of purple.

“Sit.” She says as she tries to regain composure. “Miss Lestrange are you aware I received a complaint about you this morning?”

“Already? Classes just started back up?” I sneer.

“Yes my thoughts exactly Miss Lestrange. Miss Parkinson brought to my attention some bullying you had done this morning-”

“Yeah she has a dog face, she should really do something about it.” I can't stop my mouth before it opens. I laugh at the sound of disbelief Umbridge makes, and trying to stifle it makes me laugh harder.

“Miss Lestrange! 100 points from Slytherin. Explain that to your classmates and Professor Snape! And detention for the next two months!”

“Sure thing? With your special quills right?” That did it. Her face is the brightest shade of red I have ever made a Professors. “You know sooner or later someone is going to tell the other professors about your detention methods.”

“Are you threatening me you little-” She clears her throat in that annoyingly sweet way. “I have the Minister of Magic in my corner,” She says getting in close with her nostrils flaring. “I can do whatever I find fit to redeem this school from the previous care of Albus Dumbledore.”

“Yeah you keep telling yourself that.”

“I'll be writing to your parents,”

“Make sure you send that owl to Azkaban.” I reply meeting her stare.

“I'll see you in detention tonight Miss Lestrange.” She says cheerfully regaining her composure.

I nod and turn back swiftly. I storm out confidently and head right back to the third corridor bathroom for some more liquid comfort.

I can hear the chatter and shuffle of third hour letting out while I sit in the middle of the lavatory with my back against the sinks. After the initial clatter of students rushing to lunch or forth hour dies down I don't notice the steps that grow closer to the bathroom. I take take the last swig of firewater when the none other than the golden trio come bursting in.

“Hey! This is the girls bathroom ya know!” I shout. I shove the flask back into my bag and peer up at the three.

“Why aren't you in class?” Granger asks.

“Why aren't you? I never picked you for being a skipper Granger.” I retort, raising an eyebrow.

“Free period.” She replies.

“Listen I won't bother you if you don't bother me. I frankly don't give a damn that you three are in here, but leave me alone.”

“Are you in here because of the mass breakout?” Potter asks.

“Didn't I just say- Wait. What mass breakout?” I stop my sentence dead in it's tracks once what he says clicks. I jump to my feet and startle all three of them. How skittish they all are. “What are you talking about?!”

“The Azkaban breakout?” Granger replies but Weasley grabs her arm in protest.

“What?” I can feel the walls of my throat closing up as I put the pieces together of what this could mean. “Do you mean to tell me that my mother has escaped?” I ask, my lips curling into a smile.

“See that look on her face, we shouldn't have told her.” Weasley whispers behind Granger and Potter's backs.

“It's been so long. She's missed so much. I wouldn't have to live with the blasted Malfoy's anymore...” I begin to ramble as if I were the only one in the room. I roughly grab my bag and shove past the trio. My hand is on the knob of the door when I briefly stop to turn back around. “Thank you.” And a jet out the door towards the dungeons.
♠ ♠ ♠
I have a little more free time so I'm hoping to bang out the rest of what I planned for this story soon. Thank you for sticking with me this long guys <3

Authors Note: The mass break out was sometime in January and I don't think Umbridge was in office at the time but this is for plot convenience.