Champion, or Chumpion?

Chapter 1

January 3rd, 2009

“Hey Honey,” Derek called as he walked into the dance studio.

“Hey,” Honey said as she looked up from her spot on the floor where she was stretching. Derek and Honey were working on their dance routine to the song Right Where You Want Me by Jesse McCartney. He was coming to perform live on the intro show for the new DWTS (Dancing With The Stars) season.

Derek and Honey were super excited to start the new season; it was going to be a ton of fun. They were getting new partners, new music, and new dances.

Honey and Derek are professional dancers on the television show Dancing With the Stars. Honey had no idea who the celebs for the new season were yet, but Derek and Julianne (his sister) did know and they were holding it over her.

It was so annoying to her; just because she was younger than both of them (at the age of 17 and a half, Honey was the youngest person to ever be on the DWTS) and had been one of the show’s new dancers last season, they thought that they were better than her. (Even though in reality, she could whip both of them on the dance floor)

Derek, Julianne, and Honey were so competitive with each other when they dance that it’s not even funny. Last season, Derek pushed Brooke Burke, his former dance partner, so hard to beat Honey and his sister, that she had had a nervous breakdown and had been forced to drop out of the competition due to her weak mental capacity.

“Why are you already wearing your high heels?” Derek asked Honey, bringing her back to reality.

“Well if I don’t practice in them now, I won’t be able to do the routine in them later smartass,” she pointed out to him sarcastically; they swear at each other all the time, it’s their way of expressing love for each other (sarcasm).

“Oh right I forgot. So what are we going to do for this routine?” he asked.

“Umm... Well, first thing’s first: music. Where is your iPod?” Honey spread her legs apart and reached down to grab her ankles, stretching out all of her muscles before she even began to start thinking about dancing.

“I didn’t bring mine. I thought we were going to use yours,” he said, grabbing Honey’s upper arms and lifting her to her feet.

“Ok, we can use my iPod,” she said, rubbing her arms, trying to regain the feeling in them after Derek had cut off her circulation with his muscles. Honey unzipped her bag and dug through it, looking for her iPod Touch.

Of course, it was at the very bottom. She grabbed it and tossed it to Derek. He caught it in midair and sorted through the songs, looking for Right Where You Want Me. Apparently he found the song, and plugged it into the iPod dock, which was connected to the surround sound speakers.

The intro started, and Derek and Honey started twirling around. They both looked pretty stupid, but that’s how they do their dances; they both choreograph random little bits of the song and then put it all together and fill in the gaps. Usually it works pretty well.

After about three minutes the song ended. Derek forgot to put it on repeat. As Honey walked towards the iPod dock, she heard one of her favorite songs come on, That’s Just The Way We Roll, by the Jonas Brothers. Honey heard Derek laugh. “I forgot how much you loved the Jonas Brothers.” He chuckled again.

“What’s so funny?” she asked him, changing the song back to Right Where You Want Me and putting it on repeat. Honey looked at him and he cocked one eyebrow.

“Nothing. Never mind. Come here,” he said, grabbing her waist and pulling her closer to him so that he could show her what he was thinking of doing for whatever part of the song was playing. Honey wasn’t sure exactly what dance we were doing. It was kind of a cross between the rumba and the west coast swing, but it didn’t really matter, they weren’t getting judged on it.

Honey and Derek went back and forth with different ideas, dancing around, together and separately. They didn’t realize how long they had been cooped up in the studio until they heard a knock at the door.

“Yea?” they both called at the same time.

“It’s me,” they heard Julianne say from the other side of the door. Derek let go of Honey’s waist and went to open it. Julianne fell through the doorframe as soon as he turned the knob. “He’s here!” she said excitedly.

“Who’s here?” Honey asked curiously.

“Your new dance partner,” said Julianne, smiling.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ok, ok, so I know I haven't changed the actual story that much, the idea is basically the same, but I took it out of Honey's point of view. Now it's more general and I changed her age. Honey is now 17 and a half.