Champion, or Chumpion?

Chapter 5

Nick reached for Honey as she tumbled through the air, but he wasn’t quite fast enough and ended up falling over with her. Honey heard a crack as her head hit the floor, but the pain didn’t register until a moment later, right as Nick barely managed to catch himself before he squashed her flat.

When it was all over, they were in a heap on the ground. Nick was lying on top of Honey, but he didn’t seem to be in any real hurry to go anywhere and she didn’t exactly want him to. She liked feeling his warm weight above her, protecting her from harm.

“Well, that was... interesting,” Nick said.

“And painful,” the pro dancer added, gingerly feeling the bump on her head. Honey looked up as she heard running footsteps and the door slammed open. The next thing Honey knew, Nick was being pulled off of her and she could see a very concerned Mark Ballas leaning over her and a furious Derek, holding Nick in a death grip. Mark was one of the other pro dancers on the show. He was amazing; Honey looked up to him so much.

“Honey, are you ok?” Mark asked her, checking her over for bruises.

“Mark, I’m fine, don’t worry about it,” she assured him. Honey glanced over at Nick and saw that he was being questioned furiously by Derek, and looked very uncomfortable. “Derek, leave Nick alone, he didn’t do anything,” Honey told him, very annoyed.

“Honey, I’m in the dance studio across the building and I hear a huge crash that practically shakes the floor. I come running over here and find this—” Derek stopped speaking in order to look for a word to describe Nick.

“Douche?” Mark suggests, examining her head. Honey sat up and he pushed her back down.

“Yea, good word Mark.” Derek looks at Mark approvingly. “I come in here to find this douche lying on top of you! What am I supposed to think?” he asks angrily. Honey sighed; Mark and Derek were overprotective, it was SO annoying to her. The whole entire cast was that way about Honey, just because she was only 17 years old.

Honey pushed Mark out of the way, forcing him to let her sit up. He tried to protest, but she pulled off her stiletto and pointed the three-inch heel at his face. That shut him up.

“Derek, nothing happened. You heard a crash because Nick and I fell over while we were trying to do a move that was way too advanced for him. It’s entirely my fault, that’s why we were on the floor and he was on top of me. We didn’t do anything bad, I swear.” Honey looked at Derek with pleading in her eyes. His glare softened to a shadow of what it had been before.

“Fine, but if I hear that you did anything to her, I swear you are dead meat Jonas,” he threatened. Nick looked genuinely scared and Honey didn’t blame him.

“Honey, how do you feel?” Mark asked her again.

“Mark I’m totally fine, look.” She stood up and put her shoe back on. Actually, she truly was fine at the moment, but she knew was gonna feel that fall tomorrow. In dancing, everything comes back to get you eventually.

“Are you sure?” he pressed.

“Yes, I’m totally good,” Honey said. “Now if you’ll excuse us, me and my partner have a lot of work to do.” She fake glared at Nick.

Derek looked very satisfied. He thought that Honey was going to yell at Nick for dropping her and that was good enough for him. “Come on Mark, let’s leave them to it.”

“Ok,” Mark agreed, walking through the door and pulling it closed after him. Honey waited until their footsteps had retreated down the hall before bursting out laughing at the hilarious expression on Nick’s face as he rubbed the back of his neck.

“What is it this time?” He looked at her cautiously; as if he was afraid that she was really gonna yell at him.

“Your face was hysterical, when I said that we had ‘a lot of work to do.’” Honey started laughing all over again, remembering the way he had looked at her.

“What’s so funny about that?” He was slowly starting to look annoyed instead of scared, finally figuring out that he wasn’t really in trouble.

“You had this look that totally said ‘Oh my gosh, what is she going to make me do?’ It was SO FUNNY!” The dancer giggled.

“Well you scared the hell out of me! I thought you were mad that I had dropped you on your head, or something,” he said, laughing with her now.

“I only said that because it would make Derek and Mark think that I was going to yell at you and then they would leave,” she told him, still cracking up.

“Ok, I’m not gonna lie, Derek scares me,” he said, stating what Honey had plainly seen on his face a few minutes previous.

“I don’t blame you, I’d be scared too,” she told him.

“There is no way that I’m gonna be putting the moves on you any time soon.” He laughed and Honey laughed with him.

Wow, Honey thought, he’s actually exactly like a normal person. It’s not really like I’m talking to Nick Jonas anymore, he’s just some normal, teenage guy.

It was good to know that Nick was just a regular old person. Honey had idolized him for so many years, but now he seemed just like one of her friends from school.

“How are you feeling after that fall?” she asked him, walking over and visually examining him.

“I feel fine. I had a soft landing,” he smirked.

“Shut up,” she said, annoyed with his teasing. Honey playfully punched him in the stomach as punishment for his mocking words. “Ouch!” she exclaimed, pulling back she hand and rubbing it. That boy’s abs were rock hard, literally, rock hard.

“You ok?” he asked her.

“Your muscles hurt me,” she whined jokingly.

“Oh, well I’m sorry, would you like some ice for that?” he asked her sweetly. Honey couldn’t tell if he was joking or being serious.

“No I’m not that fragile, thanks though. What about you? Put your arms out to the sides and spread your legs apart about a foot.” Honey made him move every part of his body, just to prove to me that he was fine.

When he got to his left ankle, she saw him wince as he rotated it. “How badly does it hurt?” she asked, immediately bending down to look at it. She made him sit down on a bench while she examined it.

“It’s nothing, I swear I’m fine.”

“Liar. What happened?” Honey looked at him and went to grab an ice pack from the freezer by the far wall. He started talking once she put the ice on his foot.

“When I lost my balance and we fell, I landed on it weird, but it’s fine I promise you. Honey, I’m so sorry,” he pleaded with her.

“It’s not your fault,” she said gently, adjusting the ice pack. He slid to the floor next to her.

“And what about you? You can’t be totally fine, I landed on top of you.” He looked concerned.

“I’m fine, gosh. Look.” Honey stood up in front of him and moved her legs and then her arms. Then it was her turn to wince as her head throbbed from it’s impact with the floor earlier.

“Come. Here,” he demanded. She groaned, knowing what he was going to do to her. Her legs folded and she sank to the ground in front of him. He pulled the ice off his ankle and pressed it against the bump on her head, leaning closer to her. Honey didn’t think it was really necessary, but he reached for her waist and pulled her even nearer to him.

“Now what happened to you?” he asked.

“It’s an old injury, from training with Derek during the off-season,” she lied; Honey hated it when she would get injured and her partner felt guilty about it, besides it wasn’t even Nick’s fault, but she got the feeling that he would blame himself if he had the choice.

“It seems like you spend a lot of time with Derek...” Nick noted.

“He’s like my overprotective older brother,” Honey informed him, rolling her eyes. “It gets really annoying sometimes, like today, with me and you.”

“So, just an older brother, nothing more?” he prodded gently.

“Eww, God no. That’s so gross, he’s like 7 years older than me!” Honey’s voice was filled with disgust at even the prospect of what Nick had suggested. “Thanks Nick, I really needed that mental image.”

He grinned sheepishly. “Sorry. I was just curious and you guys seem pretty close, that’s all. Then there’s the fact that he wanted to murder me for falling on top of you.”

“Like I said, he’s overprotective.” Honey wondered what Nick was getting at... “I mean you are younger than me; never know what you might try.” She smiled at him jokingly.

“Hardly... When’s your birthday?” he asked.

“February 14th, 1991.”

“You were born on Valentine’s day? Awesome,” Nick said.

“Yea...” she agreed absentmindedly, lost in thought.

“Honey? You there?” Nick waved his hand in front of her face.

“Yea, sorry. I was just thinking about something,” she told him.

“Well, we’re supposed to get to know each other right? What do you want to know about me?” he asked.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ok, I need comments, cause otherwise I'm not gonna update on this story anymore.