Treehouse

Chapter 12 - Train Ride

I sat in silence until the next stop; all I did was listen to them talk. Most of it was about music and bands that I didn't know of,, but then, once the train had set off again, they started to talk of interesting things. Namely, me.

"So how long you two known each other?" The question was aimed at Sara.

"Since the start of year seven," Sara answered, still speaking in a monotone, "we're in the same form."

"Awesome."

"And how long you known her then?"

"Since last night." he sounded quite shocked that seriously asked that question.

"Oh, ay," it was all coming back to her now, "I remember. When you decided it'd be fun to kill yourself." She empathised the last sentence.

Steffan just stared at her, no, not at her, through her. He knew she wanted him to talk. However, he didn't want to. He had the right to remain silent, but Sara disagreed.

"So aren't you gonna tell us what exactly was running through you head before you nearly hung yourself?" Sara needed to know these things, according to her anyway.

He remained in is absent minded state and didn't listen.

"Hello?" She was begging to sound a little frustrated at his antisocial behaviour. "Steffan?"

Whatever his reasons were, they were still hurting him. I could tell. I had to interfere, I had stop Sara from pestering him.

"Sar, look, whatever was up with him, is still bothering him, so just give up, okay."

"Ooh, look at you, sticking up for your new boyfriend."

Three, two, one, and Steffan was back in the room.

"Hey, she is not my..." he was cut off.

"You know you want her to be though, and you know she wants to be as well."

"Haven't you got better things to do than annoying me?"

"Fine then, I'll annoy your girlfriend instead." She turned to face me. "So, you fancy Stef then? Oh, don't bother answering, you told me last night. Sophia and Steffan, sitting in a tree, doing things..." She began to sing before the tables turned.

"Oh, jealous Sara?" Steffan knew she got wound up too easily.

"No! Why the hell would I be jealous? I have my own boyfriend, thank you very much. And I'd pick him over you any day."

"Where is he now? Hmm? Why isn't he here?"

"Hey, he would be here if I invited him."

"So why didn't you? And whats to say he's not round some other girls house right now as we speak."

"Erm, I , he would never do that!"

"You so sure?"

"Course I am."

"Call him then, just to check."

"I have no credit!"

"So, you'll never be sure."

"He'd never do anything like that, ever."

"Still, you can never be sure of exactly what he was doing the day you, me and Soph went shopping."

This was getting annoying, and out of hand.

"Enough, you two." I interrupted. "Sar, he's only winding you up, don't listen to him." But, it was too late.

"Soph, can I borrow your phone, please?"

"Sara, he was only winding you up."

"But, as he said, I will never be sure."

"Look, I know Graeme, admittedly not as well as you, but I know him enough to say he would never do that. If anything he'll be wondering where you are."

"You sure?"

"Positive."

"You better be right."

An awkward silence surrounded us for the rest of the journey. Sara and Steffan weren't on talking terms after the earlier outburst and I wasn't one for breaking the quiet.

"This is Doncaster, where this train terminates. Will all passenger please collect all their belongings before leaving the train"

In unison, we all got up and vacated the train. My face showed my feelings, no matter how hard i tried to keep them hidden. Others would've be able to clearly read me and know that I was upset by the recent episode. At least two people did, and decided to show their concern.

"Sophia, what's up?" Both Sara and Steffan were staring right at me.

"Nowt." I said, keeping my head down.

"Don't lie," Sara knew me well, "somethings wrong, what've I done?"

"Nothing."

"Sophia, I know something's bothering you, what is it?"

"Nothing."

"Define nothing."

"Nothing that matters."

"Soph.."

"Just leave me alone, it doesn't matter."

And with that I ran down the stairs, through the subway, and back up the other flight of stairs. Rather than taking the escalator, I sprinted up the stairs and cut through crowds of peoples so that I would merge in and not be seen by my chasers.

Within the constant chatter of the crowds, I could hear one distinct voice - Sara's. "Oh, I can't be arsed to run no more." She was waiting for a response to her statement, but didn't get one. "Steffan, just give up, chances are she will too after."

against Sara's wishes, Steffan followed me, he followed me until I eventually came to a stop. Like Sara said, I gave in. Out of breathe and looking gormless, I stood perfectly still in the middle of a hall. He approached me slowly, unsure.

"You okay?"

I didn't answer.

"Red, what's up?"

Cautiously, I turned to face him. Deep blue pools held the reflection of my face. I could see exactly what he was seeing, my expressions. Easily readable and clear expression that successfully portrayed how I felt. He knew something was up, and he knew that he had something to do with this something.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for the comments.
Sorry I ripped the list of mistakes up Tamsin, Amanda, you shouldn't have read it.
Comment more please =]]