Treehouse

Chapter 2 - That Is Not The Answer

He stared in disbelief as I appeared from the woodland and into his view. I had stumbled over quite a few small stones and twigs, and could hear his silent sniggers. When I reached the tree, my instincts told me to climb it, to ensure his life will be saved...

Smack! I had fallen to the floor. I never had been one for climbing trees, and I could tell why I never grasped the concept. I am the clumsiest person I know. Typical of me to fail in such complex physical activities.

Steffan jumped down from the treetop and landed perfectly; no stumble, no fall, no injury. Why couldn't I do that?

"Are you okay?" he asked me, looking puzzled.

"Am I okay?" I repeated, sounding a bit hysterical, "You're asking me if I'm okay? Of course I'm bloody okay. You're the one who obviously is not."

Once again, he stared in disbelief.

"Sorry, that just really pissed me off, I don't know why it did, I've never really spoke to you, it just did." I sighed, " you're Steffan, right? Sara's friend?"

" Yeah, that's me, Steffan, or that emo kid, as most people tend to call me." he paused, "and you are...?"

"Sophia."

"Yes, I remember now, Sophia Harte,"

"And you're Steffan Greywood." I hesitated before asking my next question, "erm, what exactly did you set out to achieve when you decided to do..."

His locked stare shushed me. I peered into his sapphire eyes, half shrouded by a blanket of ultra dark, red hair. There was, what seemed to be, an endless silence.

He was the one to brake it. " I was, going to..." he hung his head and I could hear quiet sobs.

"Look, I didn't mean to upset you, and I know what you was about to do. But, why?"

"Sophia, you seem to not know what is meant by the term emo..."

" Will you just please stop trying to avoid your reasons. If you don't want me to know, you don't have to tell me."

"Thank you, I might tell you some other time. We should be friends, after all, you saved my live."

That really made me feel proud. To be told that by somebody else, made it sound a hell of a lot better. Me saying that to myself just made it seem extremely exaggerated. All I had thought of it as was me making an idiot of myself. So I made the decision to try to deny what was the truth.

"No I didn't. I just made a bloody fool of meself. You was the one who chose to stop."

"Hey, my life-saving, carrot top friend, stop trying to deny it, you know you are." He smiled, his aqua eyes glistening.

"Okay, okay, if it makes you happy." I smiled back.

His arms opened and he embraced me. I wasn't expecting that. I made the decision to hug him back, it felt good. I closed my eyes and savoured the moment.

It was only now that I realised that I was in love with him.