‹ Prequel: Snapshots of Reality

The Webs We Weave

Chapter 21.

I let my breath fog up the window and then drew stupid doodles into it. I was trying to decide if I was happy or upset. Clover had called and told me we now had a kid. Her cousin or whatever died and left her child with us. I wanted to be a father just earlier, but that was a father to my child. I knew nothing about this kid, so how was I supposed to feel about raising it. I wiped the writing from the window and turned to face Caitlyn. I found her a nice place to stay but she just wouldn't budge. She wanted us to work our problems out and be together again. Somewhere deep down I wanted that to, but Clover meant more to me, and I would never give her up again.

"You have to leave." I said simply. "Clover is moving in tonight, with our new child." I took a deep breath at the thought.

"Oh now you two are a big happy family?" She laughed. "I love you Ronnie, but I will not be there for you when she leaves again. Find some other fool to put up with your shit because I'm tired of it."

She picked up her bags and left me alone. I was grateful that was all she had to say. I expected her to hang around and wait for Clover. Then there would be a huge upsetting scene for Clover. I waited by the window looking at all the cars that passed. Clover should have been home by now, and I was worrying. She said she was with Max when we talked and I no longer trusted him. We weren't on speaking terms yet and I wanted Clover to have nothing to do with Max, but I wouldn't tell her that. It would seem clingy and like I was trying to run her life.

The familiar car pulled into the driveway and I sighed in relief. Max helped Clover out of the car and then a little girl. She looked around four or five and had black hair. She flinched whenever Max tried to help her out of the car, but went straight to Clover. I smiled at the sight of it. Clover seemed like a natural when it came to kids, like she knew exactly what she was doing when really she didn't have a clue. I opened the door and allowed Clover into the house and shut it in Max's face. Holding back my laugh was hard after the look on his face. Clover sat the little girl down on the couch and glared at me. I sighed inwardly and opened the door for Max.

"Thanks." She smiled taking her things from him. I rolled my eyes and sat next to the little girl.

"No problem." He nodded. "I'm always happy to help you. I'll go get the rest of your stuff and bring it back in about an hour."

Max left my house, but not before giving me a look. I shook it off and turned my attention to my lovely new girlfriend. She hadn't accepted my proposal yet and I was afraid I was too late. Afraid she no longer wanted to marry me and we wouldn't be together forever like I had planned. She sat down next to me and took my hand into hers. It was awkward to sit here with the kid.

"So this is Katie." Clover smiled at the little girl. "She's five."

"Hi Katie." I said looking at her. "I'm Ronnie, Your uh." I looked at Clover for help. What was I to this kid?

"Well" Clover said getting down on her knee's. "Ronnie can be your uncle as well, or he can be your new daddy. It's all up to you."

"A daddy?" She asked in a quiet voice. "I never had a daddy before."

I bit on my bottom lip again and looked away. It was sad to know she never really had a father figure in her life, but I wasn't sure if I was the one for the job. I had babysat once or twice, but this was totally different. Katie would be my responsibility, and then if Clover and I ever split up this would make things worse. We would have to go through court and everything. I looked at Clover again and she was listening to whispers from Katie. What had I gotten myself into?

"You know what this mean right?" I asked Clover.

"What?"

"You can't ever leave me." I smirked. "You can't make things hard on her."

"I know Ronnie."

"So what do you have to say about my proposal?"