‹ Prequel: Snapshots of Reality

The Webs We Weave

Chapter 43.

Clover paced around the living room trying to calm her anger. She knew once she calmed down I would explain everything to her. The whole night kept flashing through my head like a movie stuck on replay. Jen and I only went after Nicky to get the truth from her. Why she was turning her back on the people who took her in during a rough time. Nicky would probably still be living in that bad neighborhood if it wasn't for Clover and I. She at least owed us some explanation to why she could even hurt us. Clover looked up from the floor, her face still a slight shade of red. But she had controlled her anger, and I couldn't ignore her questions any longer.

"Ronnie what did you do?" She begged. "You know I would follow you anywhere, no matter what, but you have to at least tell me what the hell you did."

"Listen Jen and I didn't really do anything. We just kinda witnessed something extremely horrible, intervened, and now we have to get the fuck out of town."

"What are you talking about?" She yelled. "You aren't making any sense. Where's Jen and Nicky?"

"Jen is in the car waiting for us and Nicky is too, just come on we have to get the kids and get out now."

"Okay." She nodded. "I'll come but you have to explain on the way to he park."

Clover hurried up the stairs and packed a few things while I stood at the window. The feeling of being followed home was still with me and we couldn't stay here much longer. All our lives were in danger and if anyone else got hurt I wouldn't be able to go on. I already had guilt on my conscious and I really didn't think I could handle anymore. Clover came down the stairs quickly and threw some bags at me. Opening the door for her I looked around outside. That eerie feeling was still there, and I really couldn't shake it off. I stood at the door for a minute and waited for Clover's reaction. Once she got a glance at Nicky she wouldn't really need me to tell her what was going on.

"What did you two do?" Clover turned from Jen to me.

"Get in and I'll explain later. I have a feeling that we need to get out of here now."

Clover hesitated, still giving Nicky a nervous look. It looked better than it really was. Eventually he nodded and slid into the front seat. I couldn't blame her or Jen for not wanting to sit in the back with Nicky. Just looking at her made me shiver. Sure, I had been around violence before, but nothing this brutal. Everything was just so out of control an hour ago and I couldn't stop any of it. I locked up the house and hurried back to the car. Sadly I had to get in the back next to the unconscious Nicky.

"Can someone tell me now?"

"Ronnie?" Jen bit her lip and looked at me through the review mirror.

"Well." I took a deep breath. "When Nicky took off Jen and I wanted an explanation from her. So we went and told Shaina where we were going and to tell you. Well finding Nicky wasn't really all that easy. We drove around everywhere until we saw it. She was standing on the side of the road arguing with some guys. Then I guess she couldn't pay for the package she had taken and things went pretty ugly. I'm telling you, serious drug dealers don't play around with those things."

"Nicky was involved with drugs?" Her face fell and she shook her head. "After all the shit she gave me about my past and she's doing the same thing? How could she go and get herself into this mess?"

"I don't know but we've got to get her to a hospital quick, then we need a place to go."

"Why do we have to leave?"

"Because we sorta saved her ass by getting involved and now there after us. Want me to explain how they know us?" Jen smiled sarcastically. "Oh yeah. You and Ronnie used to do this shit and they're old friends of yours."

Nicky took another sharp breath and we all focused our attention on her. Things were starting to get worse. Before her breaths were natural and you could barely see her chest rise and fall. Now it was ragged and harsh sounding. Her face was started to getting paler every second. This was the moment in my life where I was truly scared. Actually I think all of us were scared. No matter how much Nicky had disappointed us we could never want any of this to happen. She had been apart of our lives for awhile now, and her not being there wasn't okay.

"We can't keep going." Clover sighed. "She needs help now."

"If we actually stop then they will come after us to Clover. Do you think us getting killed or put in jail is the best thing right now? Your sister is trying to take our kids and this would just be perfect for her."

"Then what do we do?" She pleaded. "Drop her on the side of the road and pray someone finds her in time?"

"I don't know what we're going to do." I sighed.

"I do." Jen smiled. "When we get the kids we can leave her with Shaina. She can take her to the hospital and then contact us in a couple of days."

We all gave each other a look and nodded. It was the best we could do for now. Now we needed to get out of town and fast. None of us were safe here and I would never let anything happen to my kids, even if it meant finding the guys. As much as I actually hated to say it they could help us now. They could send us some money so we could get tickets to somewhere far away. Clover's face was sad and I knew she didn't want any of this. We were doing do well before everything happened. Our home was just getting that homey feeling. Like we could actually settle down and act like a real family.

"I'm sorry Clover." I frowned.

"No." She smiled. "I'm proud of what you two did. It may have gotten us into a sticky situation but it's nothing we can handle together. You know, I've actually been wanting to go somewhere warm and sunny. Maybe a beach?"

"Anywhere you want." I smiled. "As long as your happy."
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment Us?