‹ Prequel: Snapshots of Reality

The Webs We Weave

Chapter 44.

My hair moved around violently in the wind. The cool air felt good on my now sweating face. We had been on the road for what seemed like days, but we would be in California soon. Ronnie and I had planned out everything last night. Once we found a beach we would buy a house as close as we could and start our new life there. Rider couldn't get in the way of our happiness anymore unless she could find us, and I seriously doubted that she could. Katie stirred and I gave her a glance. She and Emery were getting restless and we would need to stop again, soon.

"How far?" I asked resting my head on the shoulder of Ronnie's seat. "I don't think the kids are going to sleep for much longer."

"How about here?" He asked looking around. "It isn't Los Angeles, but there is a beach."

Looking out the window, I took in the view. It was really sunny out and there were tons of people running around, having a good time. As Jen continued to drive the houses came into my sight. They were big and close together, but not exactly what I had in mind. I wanted something close to a beach, where I could go out at nights and relax. Right now I needed time to take everything in. The fact that I didn't have to worry about my sister trying to steal everything from me anymore was exciting.

"Drive towards the beach." I sighed. "Maybe we'll get lucky and there will be a house for sale, or even rent. Either is good."

Jen nodded and moved us into a new line of traffic. This line was full of cars headed towards the beach. There were people on the side walks holding surf boards. The cars in front of us had beach balls and umbrellas in the back window. This is were I felt at peace. The sun on my face was a reminder that I could do anything. As long as I had the people who meant the most to me. As we neared the houses I pressed my face to the glass. It was cool from the air conditioner running all day.

"Wow." Ronnie gasped. "This one right here."

Turning my attention towards Ronnie I saw it. The big two story house in front of us was absolutely perfect. Its white and tan brick went together perfect. The windows were big and a balcony overlooked the beach. Frantically I looked around the yard for a sign. Ronnie wouldn't point out this beautiful home without knowing it was For-Sale. Then I spotted it. Corona Del Mar, that's where we had finally ended up. My new home was cozy and I could see myself fitting in here.

"Lets get it." I finally said. "Today. We can all move in here for now and then Jen can do whatever she wants later. Just for right now I want this house because now I can't imagine us anywhere else."

"Agreed." Ronnie said and Jen pulled into the long driveway. "Lets hope someone is here so we can discus everything."

Nodding, I began to get Emery out of the car. Katie stretched and yawned and hurried out of the car to follow behind Ronnie. Emery wiggled in my arms as we walked up the winding steps. There were some people talking at the front door and my heart started to race. If someone had already bought the house then we wouldn't have a place to go. We would have to go back to Vegas and face Rider and all the bull shit she wanted to put us through. Biting down on my lip I pushed the thoughts aside. The woman wearing the blue suit was headed towards us now with a happy expression on her face.

"Hello." She smiled. "Would you like to look around at the house?"

"We want to buy it." Ronnie spoke up. "Today."

"Shouldn't you look at it first? You don't want to buy a home on impulse."

"Why not?" I asked. "I find it rather exciting. Now, can we move in tonight? Because we really don't have anywhere else to go."

The lady closed her mouth and looked back at the other people who were waiting impatiently. Holding a finger up to us she left and a smile spread across Ronnie's face. He knew what was coming next. This woman was going to go back and forth between us until she got the best offer she could get. She knew we weren't willing to back down and she could get way more than the house was worth. I handed Emery to Jen and grabbed Ronnie by the arm. We didn't have a lot of money to just throw around and I wasn't paying a cent more than what this house was going for.

"What?" Ronnie smiled and pulled me into a warm embrace. "Don't you want this house?"

"Yes I do." I nodded and pressed my head against his chest. "But we aren't playing her little game. We are paying the regular amount on this house and no more. Do you understand?"

"Okay." Ronnie put his hands up in surrender.

Blue and Red lights started to flash, and a screeching siren cut through the calm air. At first I didn't think of it as anything. We were in a town were anything could happen and it was probably just the cops pulling over a speeding driver. But as I heard Jen scream my name it all became very clear. The police weren't after some speeding driver, they were after us. Rider must have figured out where we were going, or someone ratted us out. Closing my eyes tight for a second I knew what we had to do.

"Jen you have to take Emery and Katie and leave now. I know you can't really run that fast with two kids but please don't let them get them. Go anywhere you want and keep them away from Rider. Ronnie and I will go with them for now and I'll call you as soon as I can."

"I can't." Jen whispered. "What if I don't get away in time."

"You're wasting time." I yelled and Ronnie ran up from behind handing me Emery's bag. He already knew what we had to do. "Now move. Ronnie and I will keep them distracted long enough for you to get away. Please keep them safe."

"I promise." She blinked away a tear and ran.

Soon she was gone and so were my children. It was just Ronnie and I standing here alone as the cop cars flooded into the driveway.I grabbed Ronnie and gave him a kiss, they would probably separate us. Then Ronnie let go and bolted in one direction and I took the opposite way. It was time to play a new game.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is no longer a Co-write.
Nicky wrote in Clover's POV in Snapshots of Reality and In this story until Chapter 42.