‹ Prequel: Snapshots of Reality

The Webs We Weave

Chapter 49.

Clovers beeping machine brought me out of the story. I glanced at her with a panic expression, it wasn't time yet. There was so much more that I needed to explain to Katie and Emery. It was bad enough that they had to see there mother this way. After all our years together you couldn't help but feel invincible. Clover was my other half and without her my life would end as well. It was obvious that old age would catch up with us, but not this soon. It seemed like just yesterday that we were in court with Rider, fighting for our rights to keep our children. When we won I felt like our perfect lives together would go on forever, now God was proving me wrong. He was going to take Clover soon, and I couldn't do a fucking thing about it.

"It's okay dad." Katie patted my arm. I could see in her eyes that she knew her moms time was coming to an end. It would be impossible for me to give up after this. The girls needed me more than ever now, and I was going to be there. They had grown so close to Clover over the past two years, but I guess thats what happens when children move back in. They both had attempted starting there lives but ended up back home. We would always stick together. "I know mom had lived a long and happy life with you. And we all know how the story ends. It's a great story that I'll pass on to my children. I promise you and mom will never be forgotten."

"Yeah." I nodded, not wanting to argue with anyone. Their spirits seemed to fade with each breath Clover took. Why couldn't they just stay positive until she passed? "Why don't you two go and look at those dresses. Emery has to pick out that ugly bridesmaid dress to fit your fat ass."

"Aw thanks dad." Katie laughed and placed a hand on her round stomach. She didn't know who the father was, but that was okay by me. The look on Clovers face when she found out she would be a grandmother changed it all. Katie never felt like she would find the right person so she went out and paid for a baby. At least she got to pick the guy. "You always know how to make me feel good."

She kissed my fore head and Emery hugged me. I felt a huge relief whenever they left. Finally I could be alone and not listen to their negative inputs. Though Clovers progress did seem to get better when they were around. She really wanted to make it to see Katie have the baby, but I didn't think that was going to happen. She would have to live at least another month to see that. I grasped Clovers hand and gave it a tight squeeze. She had been asleep long enough. I just wanted to see her beautiful eyes and see that breathtaking smile again.

"Ronnie I was sleeping good." She whispered. "You know I'm not going anywhere until Emery's wedding and Katie has the baby. Those are two things that I need to see before I go. So don't worry about me, because I'm not scared at all. Just worried about how you're going to handle things without me. When we were young you always ended up on drugs when we separated, and you better not let that happen again."

I smiled as best as I could. "You know I'm to old for all that shit now. But don't worry about me love, I'm going to be just okay. I'll see you in hell soon enough."

"Yeah because thats where were going." She laughed, only to get choked up. It was all happening to fast.

"I was joking."

She nodded and closed her eyes again. It was getting worse. Before she could stay awake all day and now she could barely hold her eyes open for a minute. My worst nightmare was coming true and even though I thought I could handle it I was scared. What if I couldn't handle it? As odd as it sounded to people, I was absolutely healthy. All those years of drugs and alcohol hadn't done a damn thing to help me die off. I lay my head down on the bed and took Clover's hand again. If I was going to stay calm then I would need to sleep with her. I couldn't stand the silence and it was the only thing I could do. I needed my kids now more than ever.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it took so long.
Nicky and I had to find the time to work all this out.
I know it's gong in a different direction than people thought,
but Nicky and I like this.

So comment?