‹ Prequel: Snapshots of Reality

The Webs We Weave

Chapter 9.

"I'm leaving." I yelled throwing some of my clothes into bag. "You're running around the house like a fucking mad person. So until you can stop cussing me I'm gone."

"You can't leave Ronnie. You would be mad at me if I had told my best friend things about another man. Besides she doesn't care Ronnie. I invited her to the wedding when I met her last night, and you know what she said? She said she was too busy to worry about coming to your wedding."

"Well if you don't give me some space there won't be a fucking wedding for her to worry about!"

I slammed the door in her face and got into the car. I was going to stay with Curtis. He wouldn't judge me for all this. He was somebody I could actually get along with. I took the long way to Curtis's house so I could drive past Clover's apartment. I saw Nicky's car out front and knew they would be leaving soon. They always spent time together. Traffic was horrible today and my cell phone wouldn't stop ringing. I picked it up to see Caitlyn's name and picture on the front screen. I rolled the car window down and threw it out the window. I had a terrible temper, and I couldn't tell you how many phone I had gone through the past year.

I pulled into the driveway and got out of the car, leaving my bag. I didn't really have to ask to stay here, but it seemed rude just to walk in with a bag. I rang the door bell and waited outside. It was a pretty day out. The sun was shining and there were hardly any clouds in the sky. Shauna answered the door and gave me a light smile. I followed her out back where Curtis was talking rather loudly on the phone.

"Well fuck you." He said hanging up the phone. "Hey Ronnie, sorry, I'm having another argument with Oli." He rolled his eyes. "Nicky is with Clover and he expects me to just drop everything to entertain him."

"Well I just got done fighting with Caitlyn." I said taking a seat next to him. "I told her there might not be a wedding. Shit, I feel pretty bad about it. I mean I don't want to call it off, unless by some strange miracle Clover wanted me back."

He nodded. "Yeah. Clover, I don't know man. She doesn't believe shit that people tell her about you. I talked to Monte like a few minutes before you got here and he said she just shrugged what he told her off. Like it was nothing."

I looked at my hands and let out a sigh. So Clover didn't care? She threw a big fit about me coming around and now she doesn't care what I feel? Well fuck that. Two could play the whole I don't care game. I looked back up at Curtis and I could tell he regretting telling me this, but I was happy. I needed to know that Clover really didn't care and moved on. I just thought I had felt something last night.

"I'm sure it's just an act." Shauna said sitting in Curtis's lap. "I saw how you two used to be, and she may act like she doesn't care, but she does." Shauna gave me another smile.

"Well. Do you two mind if I stay here for awhile? Until I talk to Caitlyn and everything?"

"Sure." She nodded. "I'll go get the guest room ready."

I couldn't help but think about what Curtis said on the way to my car. I had tried so hard to remain calm and not show how upset that had made me, but out here I let it go. I punched the side of the house wishing I could just go back in time. If I had to die to keep Clover then I would have died. Now she was prancing around pretending to be happy with Matt Good. I grabbed the black bag and went back into the house. Shauna was talking on the phone and got silent when I walked in.

"No." She whispered. "Because he needs a place to stay and I'm not letting him stay on the streets. He is a good guy, you shouldn't let the past be the reason you hate him."

I looked around feeling awkward. She was talking about me like I wasn't standing right in front of her. I knew it was Clover. All the girls were close and I was surprised Shauna hadn't spent today with them as well. Then again Curtis probably wanted her home today. I felt jealous of their relationship again.

"Clover wants to talk to you." Shauna said looking apologetic.

I took the phone and pressed it to my ear. "What?" I asked in a cold tone.

"Well hello Ronnie." She said cheerfully. "Why are you at my friends house?"

"Because I am staying with my friends, who actually show that they give a damn."

"Sure."

"Listen. If you don't care about me anymore just say it. Say Ronnie I hate you and I don't want to ever see you again, because I can't play games Clover. Caitlyn is pissed at me because I still care about you and I have the guts to admit to it." I switched ears and went into the guest room. "So what's it going to be Clover? Can we at least be friends, or do you want to hate me?"
♠ ♠ ♠
leave comments
=]

-jen.