Lithium

Change of Plans

When I went home, it was nothing out of the ordinary. Bethany and Clarice left me alone, Rita was already asleep like a baby, so I got free reign to throw myself into bed. It was difficult sharing a room with that girl too, because she demanded to have at least a double bed, and she got it. So while her bed took up most of the room, I got the rest as a bed and a tiny little desk and the most uncomfortable chair in the world to do my studies. That desk was so small, I could barely fit my laptop and my wireless mouse on it. But, at least I got it. I just missed home. I had a very big room, and though my bed was still just a twin, I kind of preferred it that way. I had many shelves with books, CD's and pictures all over them. Not pictures of my friends, but pictures of me and my father together throughout my life. Even though I'd only lived with him for a couple years, he was still around sometimes when I was a kid, and he always had his camera. That's how he had so much money; he was a photographer.

I spent most of my days left at Wippie's. He always welcomed me with open arms when I came, because most of the time I had just dealt with one of the three witches. Rita was only getting worse, and I was actually starting to be able to stand Clarice. She was quiet most of the time, but what really did it, was when she stood up for me.

*

I was sitting on the couch in the living room, watching a movie when Bethany stormed in. Clarice was sitting in the recliner, which was the only other thing to sit on in the small living room. I was taking up a very small portion of the couch, which was fairly large. I sat on the far left end, curled up in the corner.

"Get up, let me sit."Bethany demanded, standing over me. I looked up at her and cocked my head to the side. "I said, get up, Sam. I have to sit, my arthiritis is acting up. Now, get your sorry butt up before I have to beat it across this house and back!"

Then she hit me. I winced back and scratched my head where she had hit me, then just let it slide. She kept standing over me, until she reared back and slapped me across the face twice. I yelped and put my face in my hands and tried to hold back the tears that threatened to spill. I had to be strong.

"Bethany Ann! Leave the poor girl alone! You have the rest of the couch, she's so tiny anymore, she's hardly even there. She hardly ever gets a break from either you or Rita, so just take a seat on the other end and don't touch her again. I can't believe you'd still do that to your own daughter. If I had a kid, I would only touch her to hug her or kiss her. You're a horrible mother, now. I'm surprised the poor dear is still here."She snapped, then she looked at me "Don't move an inch, Sammy. Just ignore her."

The stinging in my face seemed to just fade away as I listened to the lecture Clarice had just given. I knew that she had grown a bit of a heart since she was never mean to me or hit me or really asked me to do anything, but that, that right there was amazing. And Bethany obeyed. She stared at Clarice for a moment, then took her seat at the other end. I had to admit, she took up a good portion, but at least she got a seat. It didn't really matter anyways. Within ten minutes she got up and went to the back of the house. I let out a breath and turned towards Clarice.

"Th-Thank you so much. I-I'm sorry for everything horrible I've said or done to you. I honestly didn't think you'd changed. I've been proven wrong. Thank you, so much. I'm so greatful."I said to her, she chuckled
"Hon, it's alright. I didn't expect you to be nice to any of us after what we did to you. I feel so bad for the things I did and said. You didn't deserve it, you were just a little girl, but no matter what the age no kid deserves the things done to you. I was a stupid drunkard. Your mother and I both were. And your mother still is half the time. Truth be told, I'm the one that keeps her off you when you come back in from those parties next door. Most of the time she wants to let you have it, but I've talked at least a bit of sense in her."She explained, tears formed back in the corners of my eyes. I leaped up from my seat and hugged my aunt very tightly.

"You have no idea how much this means to me. I finally feel like I can trust someone else. Thank you, Clarice. I love you."It was the first time I'd told someone I loved them besides my father. I'm sure I told other family members I loved them when I was little, but I honestly only loved my dad. Clarice had definatly proved me wrong, and showed me how much she actually cared. That was the best thing I could ask for at the time, just someone to act like they loved me.

"Honey, I love you too. Never forget that. Now, why don't you go get ready and go over to the neighbors early. I know that's all you've wanted to do."She said. I stood up straight and smiled, then nodded and ran to my room to go to Vinny's.

*

I filled my new messenger bag that I got from Vinny with my art book, pencils, erasers, and my iPod and phone and left the house. No one was awake yet, not even Rita, so that gave me the perfect opportunity to go to Vinny's for a bit before I headed for the bus stop. He was always up really early, no matter how far into the night his parties had gone. He was a strange man, I'll tell you that much.

I went into his house and put my bag by the door, then bounded up the steps and into his room. He was laying on his bed, watching TV. I sat on the bed and leaned back against the headboard, watching the weird show on the television.

"Hey, kid. 'Sup?"He asked
"Just thought I'd come over for a bit before school. Last year! And my birthday is monday. I feel kind of good, for once."I answered
"Well, you should feel good. You've officially been off weed and alcohol for a week, your aunt actually cares about you, and you've got this awesomely freakish friend that deals with your crap. You should feel amazing."He said, chuckling. I giggled in response and hit his shoulder
"You are so funny. Awesomely freakish friend. Gosh, Wippie. You are a freak!"He gaped at me and nudged me."Okay, sure. You're not that big a freak. But you're just freaky enough for me."
"Better be. Or I'd have to take back the offer on the room. You know what I just realized though?"
"What's that?"I asked, the look on his face had totally changed. It went from joking to serious in a snap.
"You can't live here until you're eighteen. Even if you were to pay rent, people would like...call it rape. I know, it's retarted, but it's the law. I don't want to go to prison, and you probably don't want me to go either. Knowing your mother, she'd find a way to say we were 'doing stuff'. It wouldn't be safe. I'm really sorry, Sam,"He said

"Oh my God. You're so right. I totally didn't think of that. Man, that sucks."I replied, hitting my head on the headboard. I was really looking forward to renting a room out from him, to actually be semi on my own. He looked at my sad face and put his arm around my shoulder, then squeezed it.
"Kid, it'll be alright. You don't have that long. And plus, you told me about that whole thing with your aunt, which should make it a bit more bearable. You'll make it through."He assured me, I nodded and just stared at the TV. I couldn't believe it. I thought I had the rest of my life totally planned out, and it sounded so nice. I would've been out of that rat hole. Now, I was just stuck for another year. It wasn't fair. Wasn't this place supposed to be free?

I eventually looked down at my watch and jumped up from the bed. Wippie jerked and looked at me weird.

"I'm going to miss the bus if I don't get going. I'll see ya later, Wippie."I said, running down the steps, grabbing my bag and heading out the door. I looked over at the house and saw Rita climbing into her car, and as she drove by, she waved at me. Didn't even offer to give me a ride, just waved and drove off. Clarice was standing on the porch, watching it, and shook her head. I smiled weakly at her and pushed my bangs out of my face. She gestured me over to her, and I went slowly, not wanting to even move. It was so cold.

"Here's the keys to Bethany's truck. She's not going out today, so she won't notice. Here you go, darling."She tossed the keys to me, and I caught them, grinning.
"Thanks, Clarice!"I shouted, running to the truck and throwing my book bag in the passenger side.

I turned it on and cranked the heat up, only to find that the old thing had almost no gas. I didn't have time to go fill it up before school, so I'd just have to drive there and back cold. I didn't really mind, as long as I got to avoid the bus. I wasn't ready for such a feat; last time I was here, they were ruthless.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments and Subscribers, please?
More soon.
<3