Sister, I'm Not Much a Poet but a Criminal

Chapter 21

"Guys, this is Brooke," I announced as I drug her backstage. They all gave her welcoming smiles, and she blushed furiously. I'd known Brooke for a long time, but I'd never seen her as nervous as she was at that moment. She was never this quiet. I introduced her to each band member individually, and she shook their hands and smiled politely. She acknowledged Ariella's presence with a quick nod, though neither one of them smiled at the other.

"This is Bob, Ray, Mikey, Gerard, and Frank," I introduced. I knew that it was pointless, because she already knew who they were. She didn't seem to notice. Actually, she didn't seem to notice much of anything until Frank slid his arm around my waist. Somehow, that snapped her out of her trance.

"It's Frank?" she hissed.

"That's my name," he grinned, and she went silent again.

"She's not usually like this," I was almost apologetic.

"It's not the first time we've had a nervous fan," Gerard gave her a sympathetic smile.

"I didn't think it was possible for her to just sit there and not say anything," Ariella muttered, a bitter edge to her voice.

There were daggers in my gaze when I looked at her, and she, too, seemed to lose the ability to speak. A slightly awkward silence settled in the room.

"So, Brooke," I began, trying to give her a reason to come out of her timid shell. "What's new at home?"

"Not much. There's never anything new there."

"Gotten into any trouble?"

"How can I do that without you? It just wouldn't be fair for me to have all the fun."

I laughed. "Well, I think I could let it slide since you're stuck there and I'm not."

She shrugged. "It's harder to do stupid shit when you're by yourself."

"What about Jason?"

"What about him?"

"Weren't you kind of an item?"

She scoffed. "Yeah, right. Let's just say it didn't work out."

"Why? What happened?"

"He's an asshole," she grinned.

"Yeah, I knew that. How's your brother?"

"He's fine. He's spending his summer working and saving up for his next year at college. You decided where you're going yet?"

I paused. To be honest, I had hardly thought of college since I'd went on the tour. I hadn't really wanted to think about it. "Still haven't got a clue," I admitted.

"You don't need to figure it out yet," Frank comforted me. "If you need to, you could take a year off and spend it with us."

"No, she won't," Ariella jumped in. "My parents would kill me if she didn't go to school. The whole point of her spending the summer with me was to get her to decide on a college. If she doesn't, we're both as good as dead."

I sighed, knowing she was right. "But that doesn't mean I have to decide tonight," I replied.

Ariella shook her head slightly and leaned back in her chair. I could tell she wasn't happy with my reluctance, but I didn't let it bother me. I didn't need to figure out my entire future right now.

The conversation turned to lighter issues, mainly involving Brooke. Thankfully, nobody brought up our accident or her time at reform camp. She probably assumed that they didn't know. The only person besides the two of us that knew the whole story was Frank.

As it got later, we decided to go to the bus. Brooke recieved a quick tour, and then decided that it was time for her to go. She got hugs from everyone besides Ariella, who still hadn't warmed up to her. Brooke and I said a tearful goodbye, and I watched as she walked across the parking lot and disappeared around a corner.

"You really missed her, didn't you?" Mikey asked whe I sat back down.

I nodded. "She was the best friend I've ever had."

"You'll see her again soon," Frank promised, kissing the top of my head as I leaned on him.

"I know, but I don't want to go home yet."

"The tour's not over yet."

"But it will be soon," I whispered.

In that moment it felt as though everyone in the room was feeling the same thing as me. The pain that was so evident in my voice was magnified in my chest as Frank held me close. How could I leave him?

Would it mean I would lose him?