Sister, I'm Not Much a Poet but a Criminal

Chapter 25

Emotion tore at my chest like a dull, rusty blade when I awoke alone. I didn't know if I could do the every morning after becoming so accustomed to Frank being there. I climbed out of the bunk and found him sitting alone on the couch. I sat next to him as I wiped the sleep from my eyes.

"Did I wake you?" he asked, worried.

"How could you have?"

"I just got up a few minutes ago. I thought maybe the movement woke you up."

I shook my head. "I think it was the lack of a body next to me, actually."

"Huh?"

"It's just been awhile since I woke up alone, that's all. I guess I'll have to get used to it."

"You don't have to. It's not the strangest thing to take a year off before college, you know."

"Yeah, but Ariella didn't. Just because of that, my parents will expect the same from me."

"You're not her."

"Try telling them that. They think I'm just a younger, more troubled version."

"And what makes them think you're troubled?"

"Because I rebelled. I got piercings and drank all the time. I hung out with the wrong crowd. They thought that me spending the summer with her would make me realize that I could be more like her. Of course, that was before she found out that she was coming on tour."

"Did it work the way they planned?"

I let out a small laugh. "Not exactly."

"Then was it worth coming along?"

I stared into his eyes as he searched for answers in mine.

"It was more than worth it. I wish I could relive this summer every day for the rest of my life. I never really lived until I met you."

"I hope you rememer that when all the college boys start hitting on you," he teased.

"I'll learn to tune them out. I'll just drown them out with memories of your voice."

"Oh, so now when you hear voices, it'll be me?"

"I hope so. The other ones can take a vacation until you get back home."

He grinned and kissed me softly. "It's about time they get a break."

"Speaking of breaks," Bob muttered as he walked in. "Could you two give it a rest?"

"Don't be jealous, Bobert. We love you, too."

He glared at me from across the room. "If you don't stop calling me that, I'll make you regret it."

I frowned. "So much for spreading the love."

"Spread it this way," Gerard winked as he entered and sat down.

I winked back and blew him a kiss. He moved as if to catch it and clutched his closed fist to his chest. We all laughed and Frank leaned his head on my shoulder.

"What are we going to do without you?" he whispered.

"For starters, you'll crash and burn," I replied, resting my head on his. "But eventually you'll be okay."

"Not until I'm back with you," he protested stubbornly.

"When will we get to Ariella's?" I asked, changing the subject.

"The estimated time of arrival is twelve-thirty. You've got awhile," Bob answered, looking at his watch.

"Thanks, Bobert."

"Anytime, Molls."

My jaw dropped. He looked pleased that he'd managed to strike a nerve.

"Truce?" I pleaded.

He nodded. "Deal."

Once everyone else was up, Ariella and I began packing our things. When I was pretty sure I had everything, I started to zip up my suitcase. Frank came up behind me and shoved a small, plastic grocery bag into my hand. I opened it and found a pair of worn, black fingerless gloves.

"Just making sure you won't forget me," he explained, sounding slightly embarassed.

"Thank you so much!" I pulled him into a tight hug and felt sadness wash over me. "And for the record, I could never forget you. I'm more worried about the other way around."

As I spoke, I pulled my necklace over my head and placed it in his palm.

"You don't have to do this," he whispered as he examined the this silver chain.

"I want you to have it."

He smirked. "What kind of girl wears a chain with no charm on it?"

"The kind of girl that you can fall in love with."

He put on the chain and I tucked it underneath his shirt.

"It makes you look a little feminine," I giggled.

"Are you sure you can't come along to Europe?" he whimpered.

I hesitated. "Can we talk about that?"