Vultures

Does My Ego Look Big In This?

Ostentatious garments clung to the angular bodies of the models, styling the modern twist on the classic avant-garde fashion on the glossy pages of the magazine I clutched. My eyes weren’t drinking in the rich fabrics that were threaded together with skill that made the maker an artist, but they were attracted to a group only metres away from my seat. I was peering completely over the editorial piece containing sheer beauty, trading it for a sight that made my skin crawl.

Yet that was probably only because I was on the outside, glancing in. Probably. And it may have something to do with the complete adoration I could feel seeping from both of their pores. Maybe.

She had her hand locked securely within his. Those dainty fingers that possessed more grace than my entire being danced elegantly across his skin. The tiny movement showed him so much affection, something he’d lacked to see previously. I watched as intentions altered, when her finger tips swapped to her nails which dragged so lightly up his arm. The visible tension of his muscles showed it had worked a treat, and the kiss he pressed by the pulse in her neck spelt out l-u-s-t for the rest of us.

Involuntary actions resulted in a ripping sound, as I tore into Vogue. It then echoed as I threw the weight of it to the ground, achieving nothing but a little relief from the frustration that griped me. I could still hear my jealous heart pounding in my ears and feel the angry bile hitting the back of my throat.

Then came a sweet meeting of their lips, one which left a slight shine on him from her chap stick and which also began the torrent of insults in my bitchy female brain. Maggie Lewis was a backstabbing, vile, deceitful, boy-stealing, manipulative slut who wasn’t even that pretty. She was a poisonous, sly, little roach who hit the bottle and the bed sheets to resolve all of her make-believe issues.

She deserved everything life slung at her. Her companions deserved to hear about the malicious things she said about them and to learn that it was in fact her loose lips that resulted in everyone in the area learning about secret terminations and all the skeletons crashing out of the closet. Jeremy Meads was too nice not to be informed of Maggie’s late night romps with members of his band and the one night stands she craved after couple of drinks.

All of which came to light around 2 weeks, 4 days and 5 hours ago. The Maggie Lewis who used to stomp over everybody she considered beneath her was exposed under a harsh spot light. It highlighted every flaw and showed the world that she wasn’t worthy of their attention- unless that attention was purely negative.

Plastered around Westbridge Grammar School for the Intelligent and Extremely Wealthy were neon flyers pinned to every surface. Cameras had captured different candids that nobody would want to see the light of day. Bent over a toilet seat with mascara smudged down her face, vomit clumped in her brunette mane. The next one showed her in all her glory, buttons on her Chloe blouse popped open with the chiffon ripped courtesy of the boy pawing at her breasts that certainly wasn’t her devoted boyfriend. They continued down every hallway like the gossip running from one mouth to another open ear. Like Chinese whispers, except the outrageous anecdotes weren’t distorted truths. They really were what Maggie Lewis was caught doing by her cousin.

That innocent girl, who Maggie dragged along to parties with her to be the designated driver for the evening. She was so desperate to be high in the social hierarchy, she would follow Maggie around to do her dirty work and do every errand she was asked to go on. Never would she refuse, or create a fuss. She knew much better than to cross her relative, learning early after Maggie snapped the head off her Barbie doll. She didn’t seem to mind covering Maggie’s tracks, or lying to hide the awful reality from everyone. She appeared to be satisfied by her rewards of hand-me-down designer clothes and a seat beside her at lunch.

“Hey Maggie!” someone hollered across the courtyard and numerous heads lifted to the direction of the heckler. I watched the girl turn her face away from Jeremy so her pristine blue eyes could find the voice. “Maggie, I booked you in for an appointment with the nurse for that Chlamydia check-up you’re due for.”

Her lips moved as she heard the humiliating statement. They curled upwards into a smug smile of satisfaction, before parting to let a sharp laugh escape. It was her handiwork.

“In that case, you might need make one for your girlfriend too. Since you know, you did have me bent over your car a few weeks ago. Did you mention that to Susie before now?” I snapped, before returning to eyes to my entertainment.

Her nose crinkled in disgust, disgraced that she shared the same surname as me. Sapphire Lewis sat in my seat at the head of the table, wearing a Swarovski beret in her blonde curls that used to be mine and wrapped around my old boyfriend. That innocent little cousin had learnt from the master, while she followed in my shadow. She executed my down fall with complete perfection; I had to hand it to her.

I admitted this as I pushed back the chair and kicked the magazine out of my path. My left foot stepped in front of the right one with a sway of the hips to create a confident strut. She’d been very brave, bringing me down while still sitting high in her cloud like the angel she was seen to be. It wasn’t possible for me destroy her the way she brought me down, as there wasn’t a dark secret filed under her name- at the moment of course. For now, I enjoyed the knowledge that the acrylic nails I’d spent 45$ on yesterday would come in useful as talons.

“Congratulations, on your new position in the world Sapphire. I hope you use it to your advantage while you can. Though, I hope you realise I’m going to reclaim what’s mine…” I smirked, before grabbing a fistful of her golden locks before anybody could spring between us. Her shrieks and gasps of pain created so many feelings of satisfaction in my chest “and I’ll start with this.”

I turned on my heel as I sashayed away, unscathed but with a glistering trophy lying in my palm.