Such a Lovely Boy

I'm Trying Not To Wonder What You're Doing Now

Pete's POV

“How long are we here for?” I asked Ryan, after we’d sat down.

“Until the next bus comes” he replied, cheerfully. Thank god he was so helpful.

“When’s that?” I asked annoyed at the cold. The chill of winter hitting full force as a big gust of wind came.

“How should I know?” he whimpered, pulling his jacket tighter around his tiny waist, a flash of grief on his paled face, I guess my words came harsher than I’d intended.

“Ryan, I didn’t mean to get mad” I apologized. I wasn’t able to stand that look of anguish of his face.

“Whatever, don’t worry about it. I’ll just go ask someone” he whined, slinking off to a small crowd of people. He plays the guilt card so well, whether he intends to or not.

*

I never liked the cold, it always made me miserable. I sat there contemplating the sheer idiocy of this whole plan but then I came to the conclusion that if I didn’t run away with Ryan where else would I be...still sitting at the bus depo? ‘Home’ getting called every name under the sun and beaten? Sleeping in an alley somewhere in Jersey until I got killed and ended up in a pond somewhere? Ryan’s soothing voice interrupted my thoughts.

“What?” I asked, not really hearing what he’d said.

“The bus to Vegas, comes at 8 tomorrow morning” he repeated softly, pink converse kicking the ground to avoid eye contact.

“Come here” I said, feeling bad seeing him like this. He begrudgingly dragged his feet and thudded his body beside me. I put my arms around him and held him tightly; he rested his head on my shoulder and sighed.

“Are you alright?” I asked quietly, combing my fingers through his hair.

“I guess” his reply came imperceptibly. I could hardly his hushed voice over the noises of the cars passing by.

“We’re gonna be ok” I promised, tightening my grip on his slender frame as he shook – whether it be the cold or something else.

*

FRANK’S POV

I hung up the phone again. No reply, where the hell was he? What if his dad found him, my mom practically kicked him out onto the street. At least I could leave my own damn room now, I lied told her a whole bunch of crap, she believed it – what can I say, I’m a dirty Jersey kid. I decided I’d go for a walk, see if anyone’s seen Pete lately or anything.

*

“Nah, haven’t seen him since he was at your place, now that I think about it” Gerard sighed then noticed the worry on my face, “Why, something up?”

“Um...nah, I just haven’t seen him in a while, that’s all” I smiled halfheartedly.

“It’s Pete, he could be anywhere. Don’t worry bout it” Gerard smiled, I guess he thought he was being reassuring or something. It’s the thought that counts, right?

“I saw Pete the other day” Mikey murmured, still in his blue flannel pajamas, which hung off his bony hips.

“Really” I said probably a bit too loud.

“Uh, yeah...” Mikey squinted, I guess I startled him a little, “Down at the bus depo with some chick”

“Did you know her...like is she from school or something?” I asked, desperate to know who the girl was.

“I haven’t seen her before...she was pretty though” Mikey said, still sounding half-asleep.

Alicia walked into the lounge room dressed in tight black jeans and some random band shirt. She stopped immediately and stared at me, “Frank, you alright?” Was it that obvious I was freaking out?

“Alicia, you didn’t recognize that chick we saw Pete with at the bus depo the other day” Mikey asked her.

“Mikey,” she paused and tried to contain her laughter, “That was a guy”

“It was not” Mikey pouted

“Was too, and no I don’t know HIM but he was pretty” she laughed and made a face at Mikey, “Why?”

“No one’s seen Pete in a while, that’s all” Gerard replied still laughing at Mikey’s pink flushed face.

“Thanks anyway guys” I left the house and could still hear their laughter and taunting Mikey.

How can they not care? I guess it’s not uncommon for Pete to just not be around. I mean, he has heaps of friends and all.

Maybe I should try his cell just once more, he didn’t pick up last time maybe he just didn’t hear it or something.

I dialed and waited...and waited.

*

PETE’S POV

“We’ll just spend the night in a hotel and catch the bus to Vegas in the morning”

“Ryan, I have like $20 with me, that’s all”

“Don’t worry, I have money”

“Why do you always seem to have money?”

Silence

*

“Is that your phone?” I whined as the tone played loudly.

“Yeah” Ryan replied staring at the cell phone on the table. I groaned hating the phone for waking me up.
“Sorry, it woke you” Ryan apologized patting my hair. I listened to the conversation, pretending to go back sleep.

“Hello? Oh...hello. Yeah, I’m working. Of course you’ll get your cut. Ok, bye”

Working? What was that supposed to mean? I disregarded it and tried to go back to sleep. I felt Ryan climb back into the bed, he shivered and cursed under his breath.

“Ryan, you alright?” I asked turning to face him. He shrugged and blinked quickly, the same way you do when you’re trying not to cry.

“What did I tell you before?” I asked. He shrugged again and wiped his eyes quickly with his sleeve.

“I told you we’ll be ok, and we will, you understand me, boy” I pushed his fringe from his eyes and saw the tears welling up in them. It tore me apart to see him cry, I hardly knew him but that didn’t mean anything. I sat up and he crawled and sat in my lap, hugging me tight like he’d never let go. His sobbing slowed and then silence came interrupted by the ring of a cell phone.

“That’s your phone” Ryan sniffled, clambering from my lap. I grunted not wanting to move from the warm bed.

“I’ll get it” he offered and before I could protest he picked it up, “Hello?”

--------------------------------------------------
Crap i didn't realise it'd been so long
since i updated, sorry. *grovels*
Anywho though, just on the topic of
well...me. i'd just like to point out i
know absolutely nothing about
america [hell i had to ask what the captial
of australia -the country where i live- was
today...in tourism class lol] so if you
happen to be sitting here going 'wtf it
only took a day to get to vegas' or
'why did it take only a day
to get to vegas' that'd be why lol.
<3
-----------------------------------------------------------
Title thingy is lyrics from, "Formula for Love"
by Fall Out Boy