Such a Lovely Boy

My Insides Are Copper

FRANK’S POV

I woke feeling cold and alone. I blinked and looked around. Pete was gone.

“Mom,” I shouted. She came from the kitchen – all smiles.

“Yes, Frankie dear” she said chirpily.

“Ma, did you see where Pete went?” I asked, sitting up and staring around the room hoping he would come downstairs or something.

“He left while you were asleep” she replied, her face seemed tense and her smile appeared forced and unnatural.

“What? He just...left,” my words coming out somewhat disconnected and lost.

“Yes Frankie, he went home” she said sounding way too cheerful.

“He went...home? Like, to his house?” I couldn’t grasp why he’d go back to that place then I noticed his hoodie on the ground near the couch. Why would he go out in this weather without his hoodie?

“I’m going for a walk” I said rapidly, grabbing Pete’s hoodie.

“Oh, no you’re not” my mom said darkly, her previous liveliness and happy attitude blown aside.

“I’m just going to-” I started but her outburst caught me off-guard.

“To go find him” she spluttered, distastefully.

“Yeah, so?” I was kind of shocked how quickly she changed from someone from the Brady Bunch to...the mom in ‘Carrie’. I’d never seen her like this...ever, even when Mikey blew up her brand new dishwasher trying to pry out a fork that was stuck in it.

“He is a BOY, Frank” she shouted, slamming the tray of vegetables on the counter so hard a couple fell out of the dish.

“What did you say to him” I snarled, this was not her life. She had no business in this.

“He is the devils work, he wants to make you impure like him. He’s already given you the devils thoughts!” she yelled, which was extremely out of character for her.

“Mom, I’m going after him” I shouted, how could she believe something so stupid? The ‘devil’ was coming for me, that I’m impure, that I’m going to hell?
What kind of a ‘loving god’ is so loving but would tear away love if it’s not ‘right’

“No, you’re not” she grabbed my arm tightly and dragged me up the stairs, my ankles hitting each stair harshly. I was surprised by how strong she actually was, then again I’m short and not exactly strong.

She locked the bathroom, locked the windows, locked the door and took the keys with her giving me a look of sympathy and regret before she left.
I can’t believe this, I’m a prisoner in my own room, it was almost laughable. I pulled Pete’s hoodie on and breathed in deeply, it smelt so strongly of him. It didn’t make me miss him any less but it was, to some extent, comforting.

--------------------------------------------
Title from Fall Out Boy's "Sending
Postcards From A Plane Crash
(Wish You Were Here)"