Status: .::Active::.

It's in Our Blood

Katrina Knowles

I bet your wondering who I am, who this heroine is in the story. I’m not the heroine, far from it. I’m just tagging along for the ride. If anything, I’m just the supporting character. She, my savior is the heroine. She’s not perfect but heroines aren’t supposed to be, they aren’t suppose to be flawless. I figure I should tell you briefly about the past. My past in particular before we delve into the present.

Back during the whole influenza epidemic in Europe, a young girl with blonde locks in a sea of auburn was born. That girl would be me, Katrina Eleanor Knowles. The first few years of my life, everything was well. I can vividly remember the details. My mother was well with a rosy like flush in her cheeks. And my father, Richard Elliot Knowles, you know him. He is the rich billion owning man, founder of Wish industries? Do you remember yet? Yeah that would be him. You know how he was, his success and happiness was all over the tabloids, magazines, news papers, etc. However he kept his personal life very secretive which leads me to say it’s not a surprise if you never hear of Katrina Eleanor Knowles.

Everything was well in our little family of three. Until a couple full moons after my fourth birthday, my mother vanished. The cause was unknown but the strangest part was her blood was found in the middle of a forest in Arizona in the United States, far from London, Europe.

Unlike typical single parents, my father did not bury himself in his work. Rather, he dedicated more time to spend with me as he knew neglecting me would do no good because I had lost someone I loved as well. That is until my sixth birthday came along. My father fell victim to influenza.

Well you know what happened next, if you kept track of the tabloids. My father got better. He was one of the only people who lived through the influenza. Until it came back one day, got a "heart attack" and died. That’s the story released.

The truth is he was brutally murdered. I was told to hide in the secret security room for emergencies when a strange group of people came along. One was talking to my father. His eyes were blood red and in his grasp within the confines of his pocket was a gleaming dagger. The man attacked my father, ruthlessly stabbing him. And then, he did the strangest most horrifying thing. He drank my father’s blood.

I was discovered later at the scene. I described all I could remember to the authorities. But I was a kid, who had just seen her own father get killed. Everything was a blur that day. My father did get a heart attack but that was because the idiotic people decided to pump the electricity back into my father when clearly all his nerves were destroyed.

Of course, all the details of Richard Elliot Knowles’ death were highly classified. And as no one but the highest authorities and the elite knew of my existence, they decided that eventually the fact that I was the heiress would get out to the public. Not to mention I was given my father’s everything. So they shipped me away from Europe. All the contents of my father’s will were placed in my possession and until I was 18, I would not be able to access it.

Therefore, everything went to my aunt. Luckily, she was normal, grandmother like, and though she was only in her mid 30s, she loved my father and I. She was not one of those power hungry corporate leaders.

I was sent to North America, to be exact, a little town in Alaska. I was to stay at an orphanage. In other words, my aunt had no idea where I was... Since greedy ass people tried to gain control of a large corporation. That was a stupid idea considering my aunt has been the right hand woman in all of my father’s success.

I stayed at the orphanage for two years. The orphanage nuns were quite kind. Eventually I got adopted by a young couple who could not conceive. They knew quite well who my father was, causing the nuns to interrogate their actions quite brutally. But they were loving people and that I shall never forget.

The couple, Gina and Myles Stevens were amazing parents. We stayed in the little town so I could frequently visit the nuns. Gina was a kindergarten teacher and Myles was an engineer. They were your typical loving American family; we went to Church every Sunday. This feigned happiness didn’t last long.

Two years later, months after my tenth birthday came the end. Slowly, people were getting killed. Reports showed the victims’ bodies getting clawed and slashed through as the killings were quite animalistic, blood staining every single piece of furniture in the room which was in ruins. Then the slaughter of nearby animals occurred as a safety precaution for the people. Probably the stupidest idea when I learned what and who were responsible for the killings.

The day came when my foster parents were killed. Gina and Myles fought to protect me against six undeniably stunning “people.” I quickly ran over to the orphanage and called the police. Those people didn’t like that and killed everyone they met. Everyone scattered. They slowly tracked the town people down like some kind of masochistic game. They lit the town on fire.

My best friend and my 'brother,' Kieran was with me. He was only 7. There were three of them after us. They dived at Kieran. I shoved him out of the way just in time. The pavement scratched him slightly and that was all that took for their animalistic instincts to take over. All three of them viciously turned toward him as I was thrown away.

A silver pole was sticking out of the soil in the playground. Rocks were scattered around the playground. Some of them were hot because of the fire. I grabbed the coolest ones, ignoring the stinging pain and threw them whilst dashing to the pole. The only female got hit and turned towards me. I whacked her in the head causing her to hit against the building painfully and was motionless.

Kieran screamed, dissipating my shock. I ran over and began to hit them both with the pole. They lashed out at me, throwing me away once more. My back scraped against the hot pavement. Kieran’s sobs grew softer eventually his body becoming limp. I screamed, throwing anything I could grasp at the leering predators. A rather large stone hit one of their head making him unconscious. The last one snarled at me.

Fangs protruding from his lips maliciously, his eyes fixated on the wound on my arm and hands from the hot ground. He licked his lips and a malevolent laugh erupted from him. He hovered over me victoriously, a predator who had just trapped their prey. His arm had a single stream of blood trailing down.

A sick idea came into his mind. He roughly grabbed my hand with the most blood. Using my other hand, I threw another rock at him causing the grip on my arm to loosen briefly as he growled at me. He brought my arm to his lips and began drinking.

A burning sensation spread from my arm through my entire body. It was a numbing kind of sting. His lips curved upwards into a smirk, bronze hair fallen in front of his eyes. He removed his lips from my arm, forcing my hand towards his bleeding arm. One simple word escaped his lips, "Drink."

He forced his arm between my lips, using his other hand to keep me right at his arm. I drank as little as possible, the iron like taste burned down my throat as if there was a raging fire. He spoke to me as if I belonged to him. Blackness began to seep into my mind, he let go of my head.

Screams entered through the air and the monster before me was lifted into the air by a woman. She was irrefutably stunning, holding him by his throat. And then… He was dead. She turned towards me; my vision was blurry, but not horrible enough for me to not know who she was. She was my mother.

I felt the days past as I was unconscious. She did not leave my side. My insides burned, I was changing into something, but I would not be like them who killed. One particular phrase lingered. That man who made me drank his blood said my blood sang to him, to all of them.

I could feel my mother about to leave when I opened my eyes to the forest landscape. My mother was different, yet still the same. She left. My mother, Esme left me for the second time. This time, I was completely alone.

My body felt stronger yet I was still the same emotionally. I was still the weak girl who did not know enough of the strange world around her. I could run quicker and was physically stronger. One thing about me that was unlike those people was blood repulsed me. I did not need or want to drink it. However I could feel the heart beat pounding the blood through every animal around me as if it was singing a song.

As days went on, I did not know where to go or how to keep myself alive. Something was gnawing through me. That something being hunger and thirst as a human being can not go without water and food for more than a couple of days. I wandered and eventually found myself back at the town. Everything was still in flames.

I could feel more of those creatures viciously attacking the few remaining orphans. Within seconds, they had their fill of the entire town. There were only three of them left and for some reason they knew. They knew I was somehow responsible for the death of the other three in their group. The three of them went after me. That’s when she came.

She looked a lot like me but younger by a year or two. Her eyes were this deep entrancing blue, her dark black hair with several discreet crimson locks where her skin was a fair pale tone. She killed them easily and impassively before turning towards me. She gave me her hand and did not leave me. I learnt they were newborn vampires. There many more of them because of careless actions, the growing lust for blood from pre-existing vampires. And there are more of these mythical creatures.

Together we traveled through Canada, living, breathing and striving. Ashnyx Cheryl Scathe saved my life.
♠ ♠ ♠
Katrina