Status: .::Active::.

It's in Our Blood

La Push Stories

I stared down my surroundings. Flames crackled loudly much like the sounds of my home back in Alaska… Back when I was still a human. I slightly winced. Any time fire is around causes me to reminisce those memories. Those vivid memories... If I was still a human and had dreams… I’m pretty sure I would not have the strength to keep on living.

I think Nyx realizes this. That’s why she doesn’t use her pyrotechnic abilities, at least not a lot. It was a rather large bonfire by the beach, especially at this time of day where the sun is barely lighted across the horizon and the sky is streaked in an array of mixed colors.

Screams echoed in the distance causing my head to snap my head around. But nothing was there. I closed my eyes and took a deep breathe, inhaling bits of smoke, the food and the scent of those odd wolf smelling humans. I relaxed my muscles, straining to block out all unwanted thoughts.

Suddenly, an overwhelming scent took over. My eyes whipped open.

“S’more?”

A s’more was waved dangerously close to my face. I stuck my head out and took it into my mouth. It was quite warm and very delicious. I savored the taste, licking my lips. I tilted my head at Quil’s shocked expression.

“What?” I asked.

“You… You just…” stuttered Quil, “You just ate it!”

I glanced around, “Uh… Yeah?”

“It was burning hot though!” exclaimed Quil.

I blinked a couple of times, “Oh.”

Quil gave me a baffled look, “Freaky girl.”

“Omigod, these are to die for!” came the sound of Nyx’s boisterous voice.

She sat among the group between a rather old man and a girl. I squinted my eyes, her face was scarred. I grimaced. How could she still stand to have a bon fire? Those scars on her face are from flames. She’s brave. No feelings of worry, nerves or intimidated were in her.

My face softened and I smiled. I praise her greatly. She couldn’t have been older than her mid twenties. I’ve been living for over centuries and I still couldn’t completely rid myself of my fear of fire.

“C’mon, sit down!” a boy named Embry ushered me over.

Quil grabbed my wrist, tugging me towards a seat beside him on a log. I look around the circle formed around the bon fire. A rather large space was left beside me.

Quil noticed my puzzled look, “One of my friends is running late. He’s probably off in Forks or something visiting a friend.”

“Not anymore though…” Embry, one of Quil’s best friends continued. I tilted my head, “He doesn’t want to be just friends with her.”

I nodded and the introductions began.

I learnt the girl whose face was scarred was named Emily. She and Sam, the rather large guy who could probably rival Emmett and sat beside her, is a couple. It was kind of one of those sickly sweet sights to see them all so snuggly with each other. The younger guys like Quil seemed to just shake their head and scowl from time to time.

Then there was Embry, one of Quil's best friends. Embry and Quil’s fathers were here as well. They told many stories, laughed and ate. It was quite heartwarming. There was also Jared, Paul, Seth and a rather feisty Leah Clearwater. The youngest of them all were Collin and Brady who were quite enthusiastic kids. Many family members were on trips, university, etc., but all of them knew each other since the beginning. It was one large family. They all welcomed Nyx and I in their little circle except for one person.

The man beside Nyx was quite suspicious of us. Billy Black was father to all of them and had a son a little younger than us. Well, he technically is a lot younger than Nyx and I but we’ll just keep that bit to ourselves. He gave off a very protective vibe and it was pretty obvious we would have to work to gain that trust of his.

Although one thing seems to be prominent in my mind. Quil… Black… The names all seemed so familiar and yet I couldn’t quite make sense of it. The stories they all told were very interesting though. Collin, Brady, Seth, Paul, Jared, and Leah ran off together playing.

They offered for us to join in politeness but eagerly ran off when we denied. I didn’t want to break this comforting aura by interrupting, quietly eating my s’more. That is until the stories they began telling were myths.

“Cold ones?” Nyx questioned.

Old Quil nodded, “Yes, an ancient story. They and wolves are eternal enemies.”

Nyx furrowed her eyebrows; her face lit almost angelically attracting many stares from the younger males, “Why would they be enemies though?”

Old Quil shrugged, “It’s just the way it is.”

I bit my lip, trying to hold my comments back and be patient. There had to be more to the history of the wolves versus vampire feud, it couldn’t have just spontaneously began.

“According to legend, there is only one enemy that could equally compete with the cold ones. Those are the wolves that could turn into men, creating Lycans or I guess you could say werewolves, such as the Quileutes. That is why it is against tribal law to kill wolves."

"But the cold ones would though. And we, them. It’s an endless cycle.”

Flames cackled within Old Quil’s dramatic pause.

“These cold ones would drink the blood of the pale faces. Using more modern terms, they are vampires. This is the main reason why wolves and vampires are enemies. Different beliefs, different morals.”

I hesitated, trying to place my words carefully, “You said the Quileutes are… wolf descendents? So would you guys say you’re close with the wildlife around here? With the wolves?”

Old Quil chuckled. All the males of the group shared a superior, cocky knowing glance.

“I guess you could say that.” A twinkle appeared in Old Quil’s eyes.

Nyx smiled broadly, “That’s so cool!”

She clapped her hands together simultaneously with the fire that seemed to become just a tiny bit bigger.

Nyx’s face suddenly fell, “But doesn’t that mean there are cold ones around here too?” her voice was laced with worry, her fingers placed right in front of her lips.

Old Call, Embry’s father, smiled almost sadly, “Yes, I believe so. However they are slightly different than regular ones. These cold ones are not as dangerous.”

“How so?” voice Nyx.

Old Call laughed softly, “You’re quite interested in this aren’t you?”

Nyx nodded enthusiastically, “I love mythology, legends and stories of all sorts. It’s really fascinating.”

Everyone seemed to smile at her words and the sincerity of it, even Billy did.

“Well, these cold ones…” Billy took over, “they’re more civilized. They don’t hunt humans but they prey on animals instead. However, you’d never know if they are truly in control with their blood lust with people around.”

I bit my lip, frowning.

What he said was true and the fact that it applied to me made it hurt. I wanted to shout that it wasn’t my fault that I have to drink blood. It wasn’t my fault that I got turned into one because I desperately didn’t want to be a vampire.

My biggest wish is to rewind time back to the day when my mother disappeared, where everything would be alright again. When my mother and my father were still happily together and I got to grow up with my parents, by my side. And I never have had to encounter those vampires.

Emily smiled kindly at me. Everyone seemed to mistake my frown as fright. Nyx fiddled with her fingers, her feelings making it clear that she too felt the same as I did.

“Don’t you two be scared.” Emily chimed in, “We’re all quite safe.”

“So it’s definite? They truly exist?” innocently questioned Nyx.

“No, no.” Old Uley, Sam’s father, spoke. Lie. “But there is more to the legend.”

A sinking feeling overcame me.

“Ephraim Black, Billy’s father along side with Levi Uley and Quil Ateara Sr. made a truce with the cold ones that if they did not bite any humans and keep out of the wolves’ territory, they would not be exposed.”

'Shit... What about us?'

“But what difference would it make if they are exposed?” asked Nyx.

Old Call shrugged, “I’m not entirely sure but there are higher class vampires around the world. They would’ve had to deal with many different consequences. If Ephraim was still here, he would be able to explain about the cold ones in more detail.”

‘Higher class vampires? But didn’t the monarchy break up? Otherwise Nyx’s cousins would be in charge and Vladimir and Stefan would still be in charge of the Romanian empire.’ I pondered.

“Is there a werewolf monarchy then?” the words escaped me before I thought about them.

“Monarchy?” Old Quil asked, “What do you mean?”

“Well… Higher class vampires I’m guessing would only occur if there was a monarchy involved. Otherwise, it would be more like the government and democracy.” I reasoned.

Old Quil thought about it, “I guess there was a monarchy.” He turned to Billy, “was there a more in depth history about ancient vampires and werewolves?”

Billy cautiously nodded.

“In the start before humans came along there were vampires and werewolves. They never really communicated and barricaded their territory. There was a monarchy for each that controlled the werewolf packs and the vampire covens to an extent. However, wars and fights still raged on.”

“Is there any reason for why?” Nyx asked almost desperately to find out more about her heritage.

Billy shook his head, “Not that’s been passed down, no. Most of the reasoning now is just built up hatred and anger.”

“So none of it's justified?” Nyx pursued.

“Of course it’s justified!” Billy bellowed causing Nyx to blink in alarm, “Vampires kill, they suck out human blood for food! That’s not right.”

An eerie silence was placed between in the group, Emily soothingly placed a hand on Billy’s arm.

“Sorry.” Nyx spoke almost inaudibly.

“It’s alright, Billy just got caught up in the moment.” Emily told her.

“There was more to the whole moral issue as well.” Billy rubbed the bridge of his nose, “It’s an older legend dealing with the first ever female werewolf. She was part of the royal pack, derived from Estonia. The pack was Hunt, Estonian for wolf.”

“What happened to her?” I whispered.

“She was killed by a newly found merging of two royal vampire covens. The coven was bounded by the marriage of a French queen and a European king. She was killed because of her intimate affliction with their son. Killing her was the trigger to fuel a never ending fire.”

The light lit Billy’s grave face dissonantly.

“Wolves will always be there to protect each other if one of their own is in danger. They will disregard petty feuds between one another because they are nothing less than one family traveling in different groups.”

“It’s a mythological Romeo and Juliet story.” Said Emily.

“Never really liked that story.” Quil thought.

“You know what’s weird?” Embry spoke breaking the looming silence, “Through all of these story telling sessions, no one had ever told about the history.”

Quil made a face, “Glad they didn’t. Just a whole big love story mess isn’t it?”

Billy suddenly became very bitter. I think he was beginning to feel very apprehensive about telling us everything he just said. After all, Nyx and I were just two strangers they knew for a couple of hours.

“Yeah, well story telling is over now.” Billy snapped, “I’m going to go to bed.”

Billy began to roll away on his wheelchair, Emily swiftly stood up, offering her help. She began to push without waiting for his consent. A sudden loud snap of the flames brought us back to reality.

The sky grew ominously dark indicating night fall. Old Quil got up alongside with Old Uley, Sam, Old Call, Embry and Quil. They began to put out the flames, shuffling the sand as they did.

“Well,” Sam heaved the logs, pushing it away to the side, “Time to go home.”

Nyx and I got up, “Yeah. School tomorrow.” Nyx said.

“Go to Forks high?” Embry asked.

I nodded, “Yep.”

“Know an Isabella Swan?” questioned Quil.

“Yeah…” said Nyx, “Why?”

“She’s the reason why our friend is so late.” Quil sighed, “That boy is so hooked.”

“Seems to be a magnet of all sorts.” Embry continued, “Boys, drama and trouble all in one.”

“I am not hooked!”

I looked over to the sound of the voice. Chills went through my body. A guy who looked around the same age as us, ran down the beach. He was damn good looking. I resisted the temptation to gawk but it was hard. This was probably what it felt like to all those other million people who stared at Nyx and me.

I tried to look away but once our eyes connected… I couldn’t. Something felt like I was being pulled towards him but I knew my feet was firmly planted in the sand. The guy stood right in front of me, unmoving. His hand was outstretched.

Jacob Black.

My words seemed to be caught in my throat, “Katrina Knowles.”

Jacob smiled at me, my non existent heart pounding, before turning to Embry and Quil, arguing and laughing.
♠ ♠ ♠
Mister Quil Ateara!

Yay! Chapter 11! And the entrance of Jacob Black!

As you may have realised, I'm not exactly following the plot of the book. [durh.] Buut, this section of the story begins around the end of New Moon and the beginning of Eclipse, so everyone is already fancy schmancy with all their mythology ness.

Since this is a rather special weekend....
Happy belated Valentine's Day! and..... Happy Family Day!