Status: .::Active::.

It's in Our Blood

Bella's Birthday Part I

“Bella… Step out… Now.” Nyx commanded.

Bella refused to step out of the Spider. It’s been at least 10 minutes since we’ve arrived at La Push. She tried to con us to take her back by saying the Cullens; no Edward would be worried about her. As if Nyx would even listen to that argument.

“Bella…”

We left a note for Alice telling her about our plan. Course, she can’t do anything about it since we had already left. Times like this, I’m glad Ephraim made that treaty. The Cullens can’t do anything about their precious Bella over on wolf territory.

“But!” Bella protested.

Nyx refused to hear anymore and yanked Bella out of the Spider. She hoisted the frail girl over her shoulder and carried her to the middle of the beach. After nearly dropping Bella, Bella remained quiet and meek to Nyx’s authority.

“Why do I hear waves?” whispered Bella.

Nyx ignored her, continuing to head down towards the party. Everyone was still. No one made a sound. Only the sound of crashing waves and the occasional cries of sea gulls entered the silence.

Bella was placed down on the sand rather abruptly. She stood up and stumbled slightly. Jacob went right up in front of her. He placed his hands around the back of her blindfold. Jacob quietly removed the blindfold.

Bella’s eyes warily looked up, the sun beaming down on her. She blinked several times, attempting to regain her sight. Bella looked around her.

“Happy birthday Bella.” whispered Jacob.

“HAPPY BIRTHDAY!” everyone chorused.

Confetti was thrown into the air. Cheering closely followed by. Bella looked around in disbelief. She hugged Jacob, murmuring thank you to him continuously. Jacob beamed, happiness flooded in me.

They looked like they fit together. Like pieces in a puzzle. My breathing shortened. My hand drew into a fist. A crashing feeling overwhelmed me. It was as if someone had wrapped their fingers around my heart and was trying to crush it with all their power. It overpowered the cheerfulness around me.

Jacob suddenly stopped hugging Bella. Bella went off towards Chief Swan and the rest of the Quileutes. Jacob looked directly at me with an indefinable expression. He stepped towards me. I slightly winced.

“C’mon Kari, let’s go join the party.” Jacob held his hand out towards me.

I reluctantly took his hand as he led me towards everyone else. Bella glowed. She made a bee line to me and gave me a large hug. Bella turned towards Jacob and gave him another hug. I looked away, feeling rather out of place. My eyes caught sight of Nyx passing along drinks.

I excused myself and went to help Nyx. Everyone seemed to enjoy themselves. Leah on the other hand stayed as far away from Bella as possible. Animosity filled the space between her and Bella. Leah seemed repulsed at Bella’s scent.

Nyx suddenly jolted, dropping her drink on the sand. Her hand went to her jean pocket, pulling out her buzzing sidekick. She flipped it open and picked her cup off of the sand. Her eyes furrowed at the name on her sidekick, motioning to me for us to walk away from the party.

“Hello?” Nyx casually spoke, leaning on the hood of our Spider.

“Nyx! Is Bella there?”

Alice’s unmistakable rushed voice echoed loudly through the speaker. Nyx pulled the phone away from her ear, blinking quickly from the ferocity of Alice’s voice. She stumbled back slightly, lightly bumping against the hood of the Spider.

“Nyx?!”

Nyx zoned back in, “Uh yeah. Well no, she’s down by the beach.”

“Get her back here!” Alice cried.

“No.” Nyx defied, “It’s her birthday, let her have some fun.”

“Edward is going crazy. He is so pissed right now.” told Alice frantically. “There isn’t much time before he realizes where Bella is. You have to get back here. I can’t keep where she is a secret much longer.”

“It’s fine Alice. It’s not like Edward can do anything about it.” Nyx reassured, “I mean, Chief Swan is here too. Boyfriends have no power over fathers.”

“But Nyx-”

“Trust me, it’ll be fine. Don’t tell him.” Nyx interrupted, “Bye!”

Nyx stuck her sidekick back in her pocket. She gave me a charming smile and skipped away. Something felt off. Alice wouldn’t tell Edward would she? She pulls stuff right under his nose all the time. This one time shouldn’t be so different.

“Where did you go?” Bella asked me as Nyx and I came back to the party.

“Washroom.” Replied Nyx, “Let’s get the cake out!”

Quil and Embry brought out a huge cake filled with white and purple frosting. Bella’s eyes lit up as the cake was brought right in front of her, all eighteen candles accounted for. The sun beamed across the ocean despite being only midday. It allowed the flames on the candles to brightly dance in the wind.

Everyone sung happy birthday to Bella. She clasped her hands together and blew out the candles. Just as Bella was about to take the knife to cut the cake, Jacob took it away. A large protest came between Bella and Jacob. Jacob has to remind her endlessly that she would no doubt hurt herself.

Jacob convinced her to just hand out the cake pieces and she accepted grudgingly. Nyx happily took the biggest piece cut and ate it. Her side kick buzzed again and she ignored it, taking a huge slice of her cake piece.

Chief Swan walked over towards us and smiled.

“Thank you two for helping Jacob with the best eighteenth birthday party.” He told us, “Better than anything Edward would’ve done.”

Chief Swan’s tone seemed bitter and uninviting.

“You don’t like him?” I asked.

Chief Swan shook his head, “Not particularly. Or maybe that’s just the protective side of me. I much rather have Jacob date Bella. More so because I’ve known him since he was a baby. He would have never hurt Bella like Edward did.”

Edward hurt Bella? Does Chief Swan know that the Cullens are vampires?

“Have you ever told Bella this?” asked Nyx.

Chief Swan gave a nonchalant shrug, “Kind of. It’s been implied but Bella does have a strong head despite what anyone might think. She’s like her mother.”

A swoosh of pride and arrogance filled Nyx. She smirked at this new found information. Something to use against Edward.

Chief Swan gave the two of us hugs and walked away, excusing himself as Nyx’s side kick rung once more. Nyx fished out her phone.

“What?” she aggravatingly spoke, “Everything is fine Alice.”

“He knows Nyx.” Alice eerily said, “Edward knows everything.”

“And?” Nyx mockingly answered, “Tell him to relax.”

“Edward is going to pick her up.” replied Alice.

“He’s crashing?” Nyx asked, “He can’t do that! Edward is not allowed to crash!”

“Listen Nyx, you have to get Bella back here to Forks.” Alice’s voice was filled with urgency, “Bella is in danger.”

“Chill Alice!” Nyx told her, “Bella is going to be fine. Tell Edward to calm down. Besides, Chief Swan and all the Quileutes are here. Bella is not in danger.”

“But Nyx!”

“Bye Alice.” Nyx signaled off.

“Hey!” Jacob greeted. He passed out two drinks for the each of us, “Who were you just talking to?”

“Alice.” Nyx replied, sipping her drink lovingly.

“About what?”

“Edward being stupid.”

Jacob chuckled, “Alright, well we’re opening presents soon so hurry up.”

Nyx’s eyes lit up, “PRESENTS!”

Nyx jumped up into the air. She rushed over to Bella, grabbing her arm and tugging her to the “hidden” large pile of presents. The Quileutes really knew how to party. Either that, or Bella is just really loved.

Jacob grabbed my wrist and pulled me along to the rest of the crowd. Nyx was eagerly passing presents to Bella and when Bella struggled to get something open, Nyx tore the wrapping apart. Bella gasped and awed many times at the gifts she received.

Everyone except Bella laughed at the array of gifts Nyx had given her. One particular gift sent Bella into a fit of giggles. It was a wrist band with a wolf paw print saying “Bitch.” I wonder what Edward’s reaction would be if Bella wore that.

“Jacob’s gift!” Nyx proclaimed.

It was a fancy small black box with a red ribbon tied around it. When Bella opened it, she screamed ecstatically. Everyone was in awe. It was a delicate little charm bracelet that was pure silver. There were already two white charms on it. One of them was crescent moon that just seemed to glow. The other was a howling wolf.

Bella jumped up and hugged Jacob.

“Oh, this one is from Kari!” Nyx declared, passing along a pink package.

Bella smiled at me and delicately unwrapped the present. Inside resided the white gold fang charm. It ironically fit right in with the charm bracelet Jacob gave her. Bella was simply glowing at the end of opening all her gifts.

“Thank you all so much!” She cried.

Everyone gushed over Bella and her presents. Nyx mysteriously walked away once more. I followed her. Her side kick was out once again and she was speaking rather harshly.

“Edward.” She growled out.

“Get Bella back to Forks. Right now.” Edward ordered.

“No” Nyx defied, “She’s having fun right now. Why are you trying to ruin that?”

“Bella is in danger!” Edward shouted, “You don’t understand-”

“She’s fine! Stop being so paranoid.“ Nyx smirked, “Besides I-”

I stopped listening to the conversation as someone placed their hand on my shoulder. My shoulder burned. I turned around. Jacob stood there with a stern look on his face. Something ominous overcame the peaceful atmosphere of the beach.

“Is that Edward?” asked Jacob.

I nodded. Jacob went over to Nyx, motioning for him to speak to Edward. Nyx passed the side kick to him.

“What is that all about?” I asked Nyx.

“Apparently Bella is in grave danger.” said Nyx. Her emotions became suddenly grim, “Do you feel anything odd?”

Something odd? I closed my eyes and relaxed. I focused on the gloomy atmosphere, hoping to pick up something.Something someone was angry. Revenge drove their soul. Their prescense was far, distant and almost undetectable. But it was there.

“Yeah…” I whispered, “Revenge.”

“You think it’s a vampire?” asked Nyx.

I looked at her, “Wouldn’t doubt it.”

A sense of triumph and pride entered the air. The revengeful feeling became more prominent. Whatever it was, was getting closer. The air became cooler and the breezes more harsh.

Jacob growled into the phone, “Are you stupid?! Your own feuds have put her right in the middle of battle! I swear if anything happens to her, your head will have a target mark.”

Jacob slammed the side kick shut and threw it to Nyx. He stormed back towards the party. The two of us rushed right behind him. All except Bella and Chief Swan had lost all their cheer.

“I’m going to take Bella home first, is that alright?” Jacob asked Chief Swan.

Chief Swan gave a heartily laugh, “Of course.”

Jacob led Bella to his Rabbit and sped off. The rest of the Quileute males hurried. Embry and Quil bid us quick good byes and left to help clean up. What did Edward say to Jacob?

“C’mon, let’s follow.” said Nyx.

She opened the drivers seat of the Spider and started the engine up. I followed her and sat in shot gun. Nyx drove off, silently following the Rabbit. Nyx fell off the road to the side, attempting to remain as inconspicuous as possible.

The Rabbit stopped as it reached Edward’s Volvo. The Cullen family appeared right beside them, each with a firm glare on their faces. Bella stepped off and was led into Alice’s care and towards the Volvo. Jacob stood by his Rabbit and placed his helmet on the side of the bike.

Five large wolves jumped from no where into the scene. They snarled at the Cullens, fiercely snapping their jaws and pawing the ground. The largest wolf was one that was pure black. His eyes gleamed at the Cullens. He stood with no fear and took a step, making his place equivalent to Jacob’s spot.

Edward stared back impassively, looked straight at Jacob, “Keep a look out here.”

Jacob refused to back down from Edward’s gaze, “You better keep her safe.”

“I know.” Edward spoke.

Alice and Rosalie sat in the back of the Volvo. Edward went to the driver’s seat and drove them all away, leaving Emmett, Jasper and Carlisle at the border. The wolves refused to back down until the three of them left.

The largest wolf shifted into a nude Sam. I quickly averted my eyes towards the Cullens.

“We will do as we please to that vampire as she is on our territory.” said Sam with a clear amount of power in his voice.

“But she is our problem and we’re the ones who have to deal with her.” Carlisle countered, “It is not fair to either one if you were the ones who have to deal with our problem.”

Sam’s voice hardened, “You will stay off our territory. We will not allow your kind to step foot on our property. If you do so, we will attack you as well.”

Carlisle remained silent for a brief moment, “Very well.”

The three Cullens turned around and left. Sam turned around to the rest of the Quileutes.

“Jacob, get ready. Quil, Embry, go investigate the South. Paul, Jared, the East. I’ll be in the Mountains. Jacob, you’re here.” Sam spoke with authority, “Go.”

The wolves dispersed followed by Sam shifting and heading towards the mountains. Jacob sped off on his Rabbit, no doubt to return later in his wolf form. Nyx signaled for me to wait a minute as she drove the Spider away and into the parking lot by the mall.

I stepped out to the road. Something blazed right behind me. I turned around and my back was slammed against a tree. Something dug into the skin of my neck, holding my head up. A hand clasped itself around my neck. My eyes searched for the thing in front of me.

Her dark eyes were malevolent and thirsty. The vampire had fire red hair. Hatred, anger, and revenge filled every fiber of her being. She gave me a malicious smile, digging my back deeper into the bark of the tree.

“Oh, aren’t you a pretty little thing?” she snarled, “Before I kill you, let me introduce myself.”

She dug her head right beside my neck, inhaling the scent of my dripping blood.

“I’m Victoria.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Wolfy