Status: .::Active::.

It's in Our Blood

Ashnyx Scathe

Ashnyx is the savior, the heroine of this story. She saved me that very day when I was destined to die once more. There is more to this story and her than she lets on. Granted, I can only show my opinion of her and share my thoughts rather than the heroine herself. First and foremost, she is strong. The strongest person you could meet. Person wouldn’t be the correct term. Both of us are hybrids, half breeds, outcasts of society. Call us as you please, it does not change what we are.

Because of that fateful night when I was forced to drink the blood of the vampire as my blood that sang to him, he was careless. He had turned given me some of his venom that caused me to have vampiric characteristics. From the age of 10 to a century later, I barely look 16. Time went on from then ‘til the present and since then, I had scarcely aged. I looked only 17, maybe 18. I was still human in a sense. Just a more advanced type human.

Ashnyx, who I nicknamed Nyx after the Greek goddess of night which ironically is the mother of the personified gods of Hypnos [sleep] and Thanatos [death], but as I was saying, she was slightly different. She too had not aged like a regular human as she looked only 17. However, she was anything but a human. She was a hybrid of rival creatures, reincarnated twice from her original ancestry. Once when her entire family was killed as they were outcast by the damned. The second time was during the war between every one of the damned, ironically the same time as the World War.

Nyx is the result of a royal vampiric bloodline that fell in love with the most respected female werewolf. She is the perfect combination of the two as vampire venom runs through her werewolf blood. It’s a wonder how her life is so cruel.

Both of us were vulnerable to attack as we did not possess the marble like armor of a body of vampires. However, unlike humans, we could easily recover from attacks. What can kill us is the same thing that can kill any creature. Bullets, non stop internal bleeding, a stake running through our hearts, it is nothing very different from what can normally kill humans. The only difference is we can avoid death easier as our senses were enhanced tenfold and convalesce better and more swiftly.

The thing with Ashnyx is… She is royalty. Nyx comes from the eldest line of vampiric ancestry and the original line of werewolves. To put it in short terms, she’s special. And like special vampires, she has a gift. More precisely, gifts.

Nyx is a pyrokinetic meaning the art of fire as she easily combusts and controls the flames. It’s a very handy gift especially for those cold nights in the forests we spend. Putting out flames is not a very hard task either.

Her next gift is not as special. Both she and I have it as we’ve been isolated from society for so long, our minds had built a barrier to keep our sanity safe. We were shields in a very minor way. Special newborns have foolishly attempted to break through into our minds only to have been rebounded, damaging their own minds. You could say we were some sort of vampire slayers, only if they went out of control attacking people. We did not want a repeat of what happened in Alaska.

Everyone around the world knew what happened in the small town of Alaska. It was a ferocious fire that hit the gas lines and drastically killed everyone. Vampires around though knew the truth about the out of control newborns who had escaped their sight. There was more than one reason why I refuse to let this happen again.

I was an Empath. I could feel the emotions of a person. The only reason that happened was because I was an empathetic person as a human. That’s the way I was raised by my father and the nuns, to have compassion for everything. When I gained my abilities, my empathy was simply enhanced. This leads me to tell you about Nyx’s third gift.

Ashnyx’s most frighteningly powerful gift is necromancy. She has the power to communicate to those who have been removed from the earth, essentially spirits, souls, the dead. I, myself have the experience of Nyx’s ability as she allowed me to see my father’s peaceful soul once more. She never really used this ability unless the pain I was feeling was overwhelming. Grief was the most anguished emotion that tears people apart from the inside.

Nyx has a lot going through her mind constantly. Because of her necromancy gift, from time to time, she can hear the whispers of the removed. She can hear their regrets, their pain, their distant hopes, their pleas and cries. It’s difficult to block out the murmurs of the removed if they are buzzing around your ears. It doesn’t stop her from being Nyx though.

We traveled through North America, never straying too far from the north as the heat and the sun was not a good place for us. One of the main goals as we traveled was to find my mother. Nyx found out about my mother because of some little whispers in her ear as she connected me to my father. Esme… That name rang very familiarly to Nyx but she couldn’t quite remember. She did confirm that Esme was a vampire most likely as women in the older times did not usually live past the age of 50.

We never stayed in a place for too long, a year or two at longest. That would only happen if we manage to find a suitable job to help us get food and all the normal human necessities. After all, it would do no good if we revealed the existence of vampires or any other creatures.

In order to get money, we needed a job. Ashnyx had a large mansion back in Europe as I had what my father had left me but until we could find a good place to settle, it would be impossible to ship all our possessions to America. So we became street musicians when we were young. As we started to look older, we got gigs at clubs. A lot of cash was given to us as there were only two of us.

Nyx would play guitar and sing, I thank god for her voice as I could not utter a key, as I would play on the keyboard or be a backing guitarist. In Europe, music is a huge thing. How would it look after all, if the daughter of Richard Elliot Knowles had only brains and no showmanship? It would cause the upper class socialites think I got by in life because of my father.

The best part is both Nyx and I do not get stage fright. Otherwise, how could we keep humans from being killed if we weren’t courageous? The crowd loves Nyx. Sure being beautiful helps but the way she presents herself is different… In a good way though. She’s not all calm and polite, but rather she’s loud and energetic. You would think after she has been through so much, she would be reserved, morbid and pessimistic. Well okay, she is very pessimistic… And she’s very sarcastic in the sense it’s hilarious. I’ve never seen her shy away from anything.

Ashnyx made sure I wouldn’t huddle towards myself. She made damn sure I wouldn’t be depressed because that way I wouldn’t be able to enjoy myself for eternity. It’s like that The Spill Canvas song, The Tide. Live every moment. Because ‘heaven’s not the place we go when we die, it’s that moment in life when we actually feel alive.’Yes, Nyx quoted and sang that exact part to me. This is one of her favorite songs after HIM though. You know that very popular Finnish band?

Which I feel obliged to mention we’ve met them. That was the happiest I’ve ever seen Nyx. Well, one of them. She’s just in pure bliss with music. We’ve discreetly met some other bands but I highly doubt they remember us. We don’t stay too long and make sure there’s no way for us to establish contact. No one should recognize us unless they are part of the damned.

We tend to skip back and forth different towns in different provinces. So if anyone recognized us, they would just think our appearances are a coincidence or we’re the children of… Well… Us or maybe close relatives. We were safe that way. Although people find the similarities uncannily. Luckily, with our enhanced senses and memories, we can stay away from certain people who might recognize us.

So far, the current place we’ve been staying at in the East Coast has been the longest we’ve stayed anywhere. The pay there was amazing. We were a regular at this place I’m sure you’ve heard of, the Rock Café? We got to be opening acts for a lot of bands. We kept to ourselves though from the people in the crowds or random strangers.

There was a name for us, XoXoNecros. It was a random spur of the moment thing really. You don’t know who Necros is? Shame if you don’t. Necros is the god of death, the devil, etc.; it’s the term for death since calling him Lucifer would imply you personally knew him.

Ironically, Nyx does know Necros as she is necromantic and she did come up with the name. Everyone loved it. We’ve even been offered to get signed and as much as it pained Nyx to say it, she declined. She told the A&R person it’s because we didn’t have an official band as it was only her and I.

At the Rock Café, we played at least twice a week during the night. The two of us constantly had to learn covers and/or write new material. It was very good practice musically. Nyx is pretty much in heaven when she’s doing music. The manager of the Café is amazing. Although we barely look 18, he still offered us after hearing us when we auditioned with thousands of other bands.

We’ve met some pretty amazing humans. Especially the Café manager of course, the back-up band of ours called ‘Reinventing Your Exit’ after that song by Underoath, and the Rock Café staff. Although some staff members we have to stay away from as the temptation of biting them might occur since every single time they see one of us, their hearts start pounding their blood faster. In particular, I have to stay away from Reinventing Your Exit’s bassist, Nate.

The two of us had enough from these gigs to rent out a decent apartment near the Café. This was the best place we’ve every stayed in. But it’s been nearly three years. We broke our limit. And I could feel they were starting to wonder why we look the same when we first met them. It was time to move.

We left them within the last week of June. Right before their summer break began. The sun was going to be unbearable this year because of global warming, living in the East Coast will do us no good. It was sad, but it had to be done.

We left a note for the manager Paul saying we were sorry for the unexpected notice but our family had demanded for us to return to Europe. I could feel Paul’s gloom on this but on the other hand, Reinventing Your Exit had gained our spot and had a fantastic lead singer they’ve met in March. There was something between Ashnyx and him, Zane. This chemistry but Nyx carried on. Zane was depressed but something told Nyx that he would be fine. He would find a normal human girl.

So here we are now, at a promising town in Washington called Forks. There was something weird about this town, something unique, something quirky that was just out of focus for me. The atmosphere here was different from every other place we’ve been too. Although what Ashnyx told me was the most interesting. There was a coven of vampires residing in Forks. And they were gifted... Just like us.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ashnyx

Happy New Years everyone!