Status: .::Active::.

It's in Our Blood

Denial

“First off, don’t kill me” Nyx cautioned, getting into the driver’s seat, “Second, you needed to rest and I was not going ditch you there forever. I came back right?”

I pulled on my seat belt, “Yeah… At nine at night…” my voice drawled out.

“I came back right?” patronized Nyx.

I gave an irritated sigh, looking pointedly at her, “Yes.”

A short silence overcame us, leaving nothing but the calming chirps of the night to fill our senses.

“So…” Nyx drawled out, “Anything happen?”

I gave her my best innocent puzzled look.

Nyx glanced at me and sighed, turning around the corner “You look stupid.”

I pursed my lips, looking away into the night.

Nyx gave another sigh, tapping her fingers on the steering wheel.

“Well…” I spoke after couple minutes of silence.

“Well what?”

“Edward apologized.” I reluctantly said.

She furrowed her eyes, “Apologized? Him?”

I nodded, knowing she would see the gesture, “He told me he was sorry for everything. He’s actually a pretty decent being.”

Nyx scoffed at the thought, “Of course he is. It’s probably just a ploy to get you to spill your guts.”

I bit my lip, nervously looking at my twiddling thumbs.

Nyx abruptly pulled the Spider over to the curb, “Why are you looking down like that?”

I remained silent.

Her eyes narrowed, “You told him?!”

“Not exactly.” I whispered, scratching the back of my head.

Her cerulean eyes flashed in alarm, “What do you mean?”

Her voice came out slow and demanding.

“I told him about me.” I said.

“What exactly did you say?” said Nyx.

“That I was a half-breed.” I told her, “Of my past and how I got turned and how you and my mother saved me.”

“What did you say about me?” asked Nyx.

Her feelings were building up in nervousness, Nyx tried to suppress her feelings as best as she could. That is her fault. The problem with Nyx. Suddenly a flash of Nyx and Edward popped into my mind. Both at ease, in peace and serenity together. Not to mention they matched.

“KARI!” shouted Nyx, “Tell me already.”

I zoned back in, “Nothing. Besides saying we’re completely different.”

Nyx gave an aggravated huff, flinging herself back into her seat.

“That was an unnecessary dramatic pause.” said Nyx, pouting “That was mean of you.”

I shrugged, “Eh.”

Nyx started up the Spider, driving back onto the road.

The streets were virtually empty with the occasional car here and there. Everything seemed peaceful and calm. Key word being seemed. I wonder what was going to happen now. Everything felt strange.

I flexed my arm, feeling a weird pulse in my veins. The feeling of Victoria’s venom clashing against that other vampire’s. What if a chemical reaction occurred and I would not be able to withstand it? The thought of death unexpectedly frightened me.

I am confused about how Edward felt about me. He seemed to be alright, but internally he was dealing with conflicting emotions. One of shock, worry and one that seemed to want to kill me. Because I am a potential threat to society.



‘A half-breed?’ whispered Edward confused.

I nodded, ‘It’s the most reasonable and logical answer I can think of.’

‘Is that why I can feel your blood pumping through your body? Why there is blood running through you? Why you can still wound as easily as a normal human?’ questioned Edward.

His voice was no louder than a light murmur.

I gave a small nod, ‘I think so. Because I still possess vampiric qualities. You saw how I was able to keep up with you physically.’

If I didn’t know better, I would say Edward seemed scared, frightened. But I wasn’t sure if it was for me or for the people around him. The ones that he loved.

A sudden longing overcame me. I wanted to be one of the beings he loved. To be finally part of his family with my mother. To have Alice and Jasper as my siblings. To finally be able to have a family again.

‘What about Nyx?’ he asked quietly, ‘What about Ashnyx?’

I hesitated with my answer, trying to think of the right words to explain.

‘That, I can not tell you.’

Edward’s eyes widened in disbelief.

‘That is Nyx’s own personal business. How important I am to her does not matter. She is virtually the most important being in my life or half- life if you will.’ I explained, ‘I will not betray her trust. When she is ready to speak, then she shall. But otherwise, I suggest you stay calm and do not pressure her. Treat her right.’

I paused, waiting for a response from Edward, but nothing came.

‘Nyx is not dangerous. She is probably the safest most controlled one out of all of us. Nyx knows well enough of what she’s capable of and what she has to do to ensure that everyone stays safe whether its from her own doing or anyone else’s. But she is strong. She is unbelievably strong. Do not cross her.’ I told him, ‘But even if you do cross her, she will not compromise herself or her morals. That is sure. She is the biggest altruist you will ever encounter.’

I looked into his golden eyes.

‘You know how Bella is. How selfless Bella is.’

His mind was filled with thoughts of Bella now. Edward wore his heart on his sleeve at this particular moment. He was vulnerable.

‘Well that is how Nyx is… Only Nyx is more than ten times the altruist Bella is.’ I finished.

Edward stayed silent. I waited. I wonder what was going through his mind right now. I felt many conflicting waves of emotions from him. However I did see this. Edward was reaching an epiphany. A realization if you will about Nyx. And then came what I was waiting for him to see. A little tug from one particularly heart warming emotion quickly came and went through him.

So I took the opportunity to say what has been in my mind for so long. It did not matter that I have only come to terms with him, created a bond for maybe an hour tops. I knew he will be mad, maybe enraged with what I was about to say.

‘Bella isn’t right for you.’ I said.

Edward’s head snapped to me, giving me an intense stare.

‘And it’s not because she’s human. Trust me; I would not say that based on her species.’

‘Then explain.’ said Edward.

I gave him a dead-pan face, ‘Nothing to explain honestly. I do not believe Bella should be with you in any way but friendship. While the chemistry may be there, it lacks the will, the spark and above it all the unwavering ardor.’

Edward seemed to restrain himself from bursting out an unnecessary thought.

‘It’s not that Bella is a bad person because she is anything but that.’ I carried on, ‘I can’t imagine her with you without you two standing next to each other.’

Edward glared, ‘Good thing it’s not up to you now is it?’

I pointedly continued to hold my gaze, ‘It’s not. But what you have with her is the attraction between your need and her blood. You first approached her because of the calling of her blood right?’

A flicker of astonishment went through Edward.

‘I’m right aren’t I?’ I asked, ‘Then I wonder why you aren’t or haven’t tried to be with Nyx either.’

Edward regained his composure, ‘What are you saying?’

I stared into his eyes, ‘Well its no lie how enticing Nyx’s blood is. Vlad Dracula, Vladimir, Stefan, Alistair, hey even Victoria found Nyx unbelievably enthralling. And I’ve seen how you react. I’ve seen how Jasper and Emmett react to it as well and its nothing compared to the way your body reacts. Not to mention, Jasper is an Empath.’

I felt a flash of surprise through Edward. Which makes me confused as nothing should really be surprising anymore. After all, we’re vampires or just part of the damned.

‘Yes I know he’s an Empath. But that’s beside the point.’ I said, ‘There is no way your body can ever stop reacting to the blood around you. I know you can feel Bella’s blood but I also know you try harder to reject Nyx’s blood from getting to you.’

‘So why? Why would you stay with Bella when the chemistry, the feelings of Nyx is so much stronger? So much more powerful?’

Edward gave me a calloused stare, ‘Because I love Bella.’

I did not phase, did not waver under his stare. I gave him a small smile and from Edward’s look seemed to be interpreted as a spiteful smirk.

‘Really?’ I asked, ‘Cause it seems you were trying to convince yourself with that declaration more than you were trying to convince me.’

Edward bit his tongue.

‘You are mistaken because my love for Bella is as real as your feelings for that werewolf.’ He spoke slowly.

‘What do you mean?’ I asked.

‘You and Jacob.’ replied Edward, ‘It is obvious you two have something together. Whether you or him believe it or not.’

Those words tugged on my heart strings. I wished that was true. But it wasn’t going to happen. I knew it wasn’t.

I did my best to give off a good or at least passable nonchalant scoff, ‘Is this your way to convince me to try to seduce Jacob away from Bella? You’re going to have to try harder than that. That boy is head over heels in love with her. I know you know this.’

This time it was Edward’s time to give me a small smile. One that seemed to say ‘I pity you’. It enraged me slightly and that small smile turned into a spiteful smirk. Just like what I did to Edward earlier on.

‘You are in denial. I don’t need to convince you. I know in some way or another, you would be able to do it.’ said Edward in a slightly pompous tone, ‘Everyone saw the way you looked at him. You stare at him when you think no one is looking.’

I gave him a slight smirk and sneer, ‘What? Did you take that out of a cliché storybook or something?’

Edward gave me that damn pity smile again, ‘You and him fit together. Like two damn puzzle pieces. You make him smile.’

That made me want to swoon. But I shook my head, erasing all feelings and desires from that single thought because it was not true.

‘So does your girlfriend.’ I shot back with a grin.

Edward returned that grin, ‘Touché.’


Nyx pulled into the driveway, opening the garage door. She drove the Spider into the garage and got out of the Spider. I followed her actions as she proceeded to close the garage door. I unlocked the door, opening the gateway to our home.

That single flashback made me wonder about Jacob.

“Nyx?” I whispered.

“Hm?” she answered back, as she threw off her bag at the couch before plopping her self onto it.

“Did you see Jake?” I asked.

Nyx looked back at me, fighting conflicting feelings. She spoke carefully.

“No but Embry said Jake went to the mountains to camp out.”

“Why?” I asked.

Nyx squirmed in her seat.

A wave of memories and emotions overwhelmed me. A sudden realization. Jacob was there when I went out of control. He heard about Esme being my mother. But did he think I was a vampire? Would he never speak to me again?

“I’m sorry Kari.” whispered Nyx, “But if its any consolation, Embry, Quil and the rest of them know you are not a vampire.”

I shook my head.

“That doesn’t matter. As long as Jake sees me as a threat to him, Bella and the rest of this world…” my voice quivered bitterly, “I might as well pretend they all don’t exist.”

Nyx frowned, “Don’t say that.”

“Why shouldn’t I?!” I asked, “It’s the truth isn’t it?! And no matter how hard it is, the truth will never be silenced!”

“They understand that we do not threaten them Kari.” told Nyx gently, “None of them care.”

“But I do!” I shouted, “What if I try to hurt Bella again? What if I accidentally attack someone? Then I am a threat because I can not control my thirst!”

Nyx stared at me fiercely, “You can because your heart overpowers your thirst.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay! Chapter 21. After next monday I should be able to update regularly... should be. I have exams and it's not the exam that is taking up my time, it's the work for the exams. French, art and math. =P
Wish me luck?