Status: .::Active::.

It's in Our Blood

All We Need

“C’mon Kari!” Kieran urged me forwards to come up again, “Get up!”

I propped myself up on one knee, panting hard, “How is it that you’re so much stronger than I am?!”

Kieran shrugged, smug at this prospect, “It’s not my fault. You don’t train.”

I grudgingly got up, patting the dust off of my pants.

“Have I mentioned recently how much I hate you?” I asked sarcastically.

Kieran smirked, crossing his arms, “Really? Because that wasn’t what you said a while ago. You know you love me.” He teased.

“That’s bullshit right there.” I sent back, sticking my tongue out.

Before I knew it, Kieran pounced on me, sending us flying back into the ground. I rolled over, trying to wrestle him back. He rolled me over and this went on and on and on.

I’ve spent an incontrollable amount of time with Kieran for the past week, since I broke down. It was great to hang out with him again, especially since Nyx has been focusing on nothing but keeping her mouth shut and training. I’ve seen her training tactics and it’s unbelievable. Really it is.

I’m scared for her. She talks to me and all but, I’m the only one she’s willing to cooperate on a friendly basis with. Otherwise, she’ll shut everyone out. Nyx is scared. That makes me wonder what lengths she will go to so she can ensure everyone’s safety. And what is Nyx scared of exactly?

“Hey let’s go get ice cream” Kieran said, breaking me out of my reverie.

I nodded enthusiastically. We used to do that all the time when we were kids. Kieran and I didn’t talk much. Well at least not about very serious matters. It was just playful banter and teasing. He brought my spirits up by far, quite similarly to how Nyx was like back when she rescued me.

The door chimed as we entered through the Baskin 31 Robins ice cream store. It was nice to get away from everyone else once in a while. Kieran dragged me over to the cashier, picking out orange sherbet for me and caramel dripped chocolate for him. Our preferences have not changed for a century.

My orange sherbet ice cream was placed in a cup while Kieran ate out of a vanilla cone. We sat by the windows, staring out at the street before us. It was peaceful. Occasionally a car would pass by; a child would laugh excitedly for their mother to get a specific ice cream flavor. Nothing but serene contentment filled me.

Kieran softly bit his cone, crunching the pieces slowly to muffle the noise. I ate the remaining bit of my ice cream slowly, letting the taste linger on my tongue. When I was done, I left my spoon in my mouth.

“You still do that?” laughed Kieran.

I nodded. It was just something I always did.

“Why do you do it?”

I shrugged, “It’s fun?”

Kieran chuckled, shaking his head at me. A passerby swooned. Her friends giggled girlishly. I furrowed my eyebrows. It was just Kieran. Then again, he was an immortal somewhat. It was like the girls of Forks High and the Cullens.

My eyes widened. I slowly took my spoon out of my mouth.

“What’s wrong?” Kieran asked worriedly.

I turned towards him.

“I forgot to do my calc homework!” I told him.

And you know what that sorry arse did? He laughed at my face.

“We’re going to go to war and you’re worried about your calculus homework?” asked Kieran disbelieving.

I glared, “Hey unlike you, I actually pass my grades.”

“Since you’ve been helping me, I’ve done a lot better.” replied Kieran innocently.

I glared harder, “You mean by copying off my homework? Or you mean sticking extra homework in my binder resulting in me doing your homework?”

Kieran chuckled again, “It’s not my fault you don’t realize that its not your homework.”

I threw my garbage in the garbage can hastily and exited the ice cream parlor dramatically. Within seconds Kieran caught up to me. He pulled my hand causing me to turn around abruptly. He tilted my head up, eyes alit with laughter.

“I’m sorry, do you forgive me?” Kieran pouted.

I sighed, removing his hands from me. “Fine.”

Kieran hugged me tightly like I was a stuffed teddy bear and let out a “yay”.

“But seriously I have to go do my homework.” I told him, although I did not know how audible my words are as my face was pressed against his marble like chest.

“No” Kieran whined like a little boy, dipped his head and burying his face in my hair.

I heard an old car door shut firmly. I was able to maneuver my head slightly from Kieran’s tight grasp to see none other than Bella Swan and a sweaty half naked Jacob Black.

“Jake!” Bella exclaimed.

Jacob breathed heavily. “Why Bella?”

I turned my head away. Kieran removed his face and got a good look at them. I could feel his glare at Jacob. Kieran silently urged me to go with him elsewhere. I nodded my head and he began to slowly lead me away from the parking lot. I did not want to face either of them.

“I kissed Kari.” Jacob rushed out.

I stopped in my tracks. I felt a stir of hope from both of them.

“Really?”

I could hear Bella beaming. Although she was slightly disappointed because despite her affections towards Edward, it is human nature to feel flattered knowing someone likes you. Everyone enjoys having their ego patted.

I felt a drop in my stomach. It was almost as if I could see Jacob frowning even though my back was facing them.

“You aren’t sad? You’re not jealous?” asked Jacob dejectedly.

Bella must have shaken her head because I felt Jacob’s heart breaking.

“But we kissed!” Jacob exclaimed.

“I know! Now you have someone too Jake!” said Bella.

I felt something getting caught in my throat.

“No! No!” argued Jacob, “No that kiss meant nothing! We’re nothing! I would never date Kari in a million years!”

I bit my lip. If I knew I was that bad, I would have never even befriended him. Or anyone. Did he have to be such a jerk about it?

I heard Kieran growl, the vibrations going through his chest as he held me protectively against his chest in his arms. I knew Jacob must have heard it because Bella’s gasp came right after.

I heard Bella hit Jacob, the echo of skin on skin as Kieran whisked me away quickly. His cold touch became warmer. I wasn’t even walking anymore. Kieran was lifting me just inches off the ground as we headed off deeper into the woods. I was deeply touched by the concern he held for me.

“Kieran” I could hear my voice crack slightly.

Kieran kept going. Sparks of what seemed to be electric current flew askew everywhere.

“Kieran” I repeated more firmly.

Kieran looked down at me and slowed to a stop. He let me down, my feet touching the ground. The sparks halted and crackled into nothing. He gave me a sad smile, his sorrow apparent all over his features. His once hot temper had cooled down considerably.

“I’m sorry.”

I shook my head, giving him a bitter smile.

“You have nothing to be sorry for.”

Kieran shook his head disagreeing, “I’m sorry you had to fall for a jack ass mutt.”

I let out a small laugh at his choice of words and shrugged. I leaned into him. He rubbed my back soothingly.

“The funny thing is… It’s almost as if it’s all planned. Every time Bella and Jacob have some heated discussion, I’m always there to hear it. And Jacob always does some stupid thing or says some stupid thing that makes me what to effing break down.” I vented, “It sucks.”

I felt him breathe deeply, exhaling in a sigh.

“All you need…” He began, “Are people who care about you. Forget everyone else.”

I smiled, nodding my head.

“By the way, what was that?” I asked, stepping out of Kieran’s grasp suddenly.

“What was what?”

“That spark thing!” I used wild hand gestures to try and communicate, “Those electric sparks and stuff!”

“Oh…” Kieran trailed off, “Oh, that’s nothing special.”

I gawked at him, “Yeah well then why can’t I do that?”

“Cause it’s not your gift.” He shrugged.

“What is it then?”

“I’m not really sure what it is,” Kieran rubbed the back of his head, “I can control electrical current, adjust the flow and all but that’s about it.”

I creased my forehead, “So like, you can control the flow of electrons and convert them into protons and direct where it occurs? Even large current like lightning?”

Kieran nodded. Then sighed tiredly.

“Only you can make something so cool sound so scientific.”

I rolled my eyes, “Cause electricity is a study of science. You would know that if you did your homework once in a while and understood it.”

“Shut up.” Kieran whined.

“So what about Aaron?” I asked, “I mean I know he’s special but what with all that ancient shit around him, he does have a gift right?”

Kieran nodded, “Yeah, tactile hypnosis. He can influence and control the decisions of another as long as he can touch him or her.”

I remembered the moment when I first met Aaron.

“He used that ability on me didn’t he?”

Kieran nodded, “When we first met you. He could tell you were reluctant but Aaron was able to make you relax through touch.”

“I didn’t feel him touch me though.”

“No he did” Kieran differed, “It was just a small contact on your knee but it was enough for him. Aaron was able to practice when Bison was following you and Nyx. Sometimes when the trail went cold, Aaron was able to persuade people to tell us where you were last.”

“How did you end up remembering me anyways?” I asked.

Kieran replied with one word, “Aaron.”

“How” I was completely perplexed.

“Aaron used his ability to force my mind to remember. I told him to help because I was becoming moody and everyone else except Aaron was fed up with my shit.” explained Kieran, his amethyst eyes pierced mine, “I really wanted to remember who you were to me because something in my gut told me you are probably the most important thing to me.”

I felt myself go numb. Was there a double meaning to that? I held back my inquiries though; I did not want it to get awkward. Kieran will always be my little brother. But nonetheless, I was flattered.

I looked up at him and gave an appreciative smile.

“Thanks.” I whispered.

Kieran returned the smile and pulled me into another hug.

“Always my Kari” He mumbled into my hair, “My little Kari.”

I felt a sigh of relief escape me. He didn’t think of me that way.

“Kari!”

I pulled away slightly from Kieran’s grasp to see Nyx running towards me.

“Hey” She breathed to Kieran, waving. Nyx turned back towards me, “You remember a couple weeks ago when Lynne mentioned the Winter Concert?”

I nodded, vaguely recalling that brief event.

“So I think I’m going to do it.” said Nyx firmly, “And I was thinking you could do the piano because I want to do an acoustic cover.”

I nodded again, “Yeah, sure.”

Nyx beamed, I was immensely relieved to see that light in her eyes again.

“Great, good.” She agreed.

Although something was bothering her. I started to frown slightly. What was her sudden motivation to perform?

“Where’s your head at?” I asked her.

Nyx just smiled at me, “No where special.”

“You sure?” I questioned, “Because a couple weeks ago you didn’t really want to.”

Nyx shrugged, her smile still over her face.

“I figured that we might as well do something we love before…” Nyx searched for the right words, “Before we can’t.”

I felt disheartened. Nyx was putting on a brave face once again.

“Well I’ll see you at home,” Nyx told me, she turned to Kieran. “Nice to finally meet you Kieran.”

She sent him a gorgeous smile and walked off, at least not at human speed. I turned around and what I saw surprised the hell out of me. Kieran was blushing. I had never seen him do so.

“You’re- You’re blushing!” I pointed my finger at his face.

“Oh screw off!” Kieran stuck his tongue at me, his face returning to that pasty color.

“You find her pretty?” I teased, “Beautiful? Does little Kieran have a crush on Nyx?”

Kieran glared, giving me a playful shove and walked off.

“I’ll take that as a yes!” I called after him resulting him in giving me the bird.

I smirked victoriously. And yet another guy Nyx unknowingly charmed. No, I was not jealous because it provided me with a tremendous amount of entertainment. Besides, I knew being half immortal gave me all the advantages I needed if I wanted a guy. For the record, that sentence does not include Jacob.

I walked off in the opposite direction, going towards the path Nyx was on. Everything around me was calm. Incredibly calm. I liked it. I walked on the sidewalk, taking my time as cars zoomed past me on the road. Bella’s house was just up ahead. And then suddenly I felt a rush of cold air bringing in feelings of need, want, desire… Lust.

I was able to distinguish Bella and Edward, entering the house hastily. Desperation filled me, lust was overwhelming and the feeling to be needed, to prove that this was enough… It took over all my senses. It rushed through me and the fact that the cause was right there, only amplified the feeling of desire.

I walked off to who knows where, rushing past blurs of green and brown.

“Hey Kari!”

The distant voice of Kieran called me. I stopped in my tracks. He reached me within seconds. My body shook slightly.

“You okay?” He asked me, placing a hand on me to turn me around.

My hoodie was in his other hand.

“You forgot-”

Before I knew what was happening, my hands went up to his face, cupping it and I leaned upwards. My lips captured his and my eyes closed, succumbing to the lust I was feeling. And that was it. I could only feel lust and desire.

Kieran remained still under my touch. It did not occur to me. I moved my lips against his and I desperately wanted to stop but my body would not listen to me. The monster that came from the new venom I had required began acting up again, something I thought I had suppressed.

Then my mind snapped. I broke away abruptly, my hands moving away from his head. I breathed heavily, eyes unable to tear away from Kieran’s. Both our mouths were ajar. I was shocked and the only way I was able to distinguish Kieran’s shock was from his expression.

My breathing felt shallow and my throat was caught up. I couldn’t believe I just did that. My astonishment dissipated every other emotion I could feel. I felt my eyes slightly water for reasons I could not comprehend.

A low growl emitted from our left. Kieran’s head snapped to that direction. I slowly tore my eyes away. My mind barely had the time to register the snarling features of Jacob shift into a wolf as he flew towards the two of us.

Kieran pushed me backwards, my hoodie thrown at my chest. Jacob’s large russet fur was on top of Kieran. The two wrestled as Jacob’s large front paws grounded into Kieran’s fists. Kieran gathered his strength to throw the large wolf off of him.

Sparks lit between the two males. Jacob snarled, baring all teeth towards Kieran. Kieran’s hand curled, a bluish golden white spark forming.

“Stop!”

An unfamiliar raspy voice cried out.

My hand was outstretched, trying to convince them to stop. I realized then that it was my own voice.

“Stop it!” I screamed.

The two of them stopped, five feet away from one another. Jacob’s dark eyes looked into mine and I saw things in a haze. I wanted to follow the pull I suddenly felt to comfort him. I wanted to tell him everything about how I felt about him. I wanted to rush up to him and kiss him but I couldn’t.

I was frozen in my spot.

Jacob broke the exchange first. His entire body shook fiercely. He gave a heart wrenching howl and before I could blink, Jacob Black ran off.

I clutched my head between my hands. I was weak, I was so vulnerable. The sentiments I felt were slowly dissipating as my shield started to build up slowly. How did it fall?

“Kari” whispered Kieran. He took my shoulders in with his hands, trying to see into my face, “Kari.”

I slowly removed my hands from my head, looking up towards him. His face dropped at the sight of mine.

“Are you alright?” he asked.

“I’m sorry” I choked out, “I’m sorry.”

Kieran shook his head, “I know but it’s not your fault. I saw Bella and Edward.”

I closed my eyes tightly, “I should be stronger though!”

Kieran shook me, staring straight into my eyes.

“Don’t be like that.”

We stayed still for a couple of moments before Kieran broke the silence.

“No offense to you and all but… That was plain out weird,” He commented, “You’re my sister and that was weird.”

I let out a breathy laugh, it was hallow but at that time, I was lucky to remember if I knew even how to breath. Then I remembered something. Something important.

“You can’t tell her. You can’t tell Nyx.”

“Can’t tell her what?”

“Everything we saw between Bella and Edward.”

Kieran’s confusion was apparent but he merely nodded his head in agreement.

Because what we just saw… would kill Nyx.
♠ ♠ ♠
Is this a filler chapter? Hm.. I'm not sure because there's a whole bunch of stuff I put in that lays out the next couple of chapters. =] Anyways...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

I just realized I've been writing this story for a year now... And sadly, I'm only at chapter 32... Hm.. I gotta work harder.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan.