Status: .::Active::.

It's in Our Blood

Mistake

I was stunned at the beauty Nyx had. She had shining glossy ebony black fur with crimson tipped ends where it made her as dark as the night sky. The red in her fur shone brightly in comparison to everything around her, enhancing her appearance, making her look even more ethereal. It looked incredibly soft and it fluttered in the wind. Her electric blue eyes shone brightly in contrast to the rest of her body, teeth blindingly white and sharp white claws.

Her strong black tail flicked upwards, hind legs leaning back. Before I could even comprehend what was happening, Nyx jumped at the couple, claws elongated, snapping her jaw. Edward barely had time to pull Bella out of reach, stumbling backwards into the hallway. The two of them crashed onto the floor, Edward kept Bella as still as possible, allowing him to cushion her fall. He reacted quickly and pulled her behind him.

I snapped my mind back and concentrated on the situation at hand, jumping on top of Nyx, and constraining her. She fought against my hold while I did my best to keep her within my grasp but her form was incredibly large against my smaller body. Bella was completely frightened, holding onto her stomach to protect the embryo behind Edward.

Nyx struggled fiercely in my grasp and once or twice, she managed to slip through my clutches and pounce towards Edward. I barely pulled her back in time. Her sharp claws left some cuts in my clothes and on my skin somewhere. She was oblivious to the smell, only focusing on the heart break she felt and reacting impulsively according to her animal instincts. She wanted vengeance for her pain, for her loss.

And she wanted it now.

Her hind leg connected with my jaw, allowing her to be successfully freed from my grip. She flung herself on top of Edward, taking him down to the ground. Bella barely moved out of the way in time to avoid the collision. Nyx snarled in his face, pining his entire body to the hardwood floor. And suddenly, all I could feel was hurt. I was completely void of all other feelings. Nyx’s claws started to grow longer and that’s when I knew she had to be stopped, she had to realize what she was doing.

“NYX” I called out in desperation.

In that single moment, Nyx remained frozen. She halted and I saw her look deep into Edward’s golden eyes. Then, without warning, she flew out of the room and something cold landed on my cheek as she passed by me. I could not see where she went as her black red tipped fur vanished from my line of sight.

Bella gawked, wide eyed and frightened, but then again, so was I.

“What-what just happened?” she choked out.

Out of the corner of my eyes, I saw Edward slowly prop himself up into a sitting position. I wiped the side of my face, the liquid in my hands, but it wasn’t blood. No, it was clear. Was… Did Nyx just cry?

I turned towards Edwards, his face devastated by the event that had just occurred. Bella dropped to her knees and hugged him closely to her, keeping her hand on top of her stomach. Edward seemed completely oblivious to the world around him as his stare remained fix on the doorway. He could not move from his spot. A transparent liquid dripped from his cheek and onto his shirt, but was it his own? Or was it left by Nyx?

Bella’s slight sniffles filled the silence around us. Her shocked tremors eventually stilled but that heavy tension around us was still there. None of us moved from our spot. None of us knew what to do. My legs could not move and follow Nyx. It was like they were stuck, glued to the spot. Soon enough, I realized the couple before me was staring at me, looking at me for some hint of what to do, to break the silence that had overcome us.

I let out a sigh, using a hand to ruffle my hair in frustration. I swallowed the pit of saliva that accumulated in my throat. I took a look at Bella and her stomach. That feeling of dread, guilt, and pain at the bottom of my gut did not go away. Edward was suffering the consequences of his actions. Everyone would be suffering the consequences of his actions.

“I-” I stopped myself, what could I say?

I looked straight into Bella’s eyes, now full of nerves and anticipation and bewilderment. But I guess I could start with an apology for all the actions that should not have happened; the pregnancy, Nyx’s attack, the heart break.

“I’m sorry.”

Bella let out a weak smile, her joyous mood diminished greatly into a solemn one. You know, I forget at times. I suppose that all of us, all us supposed mythical creatures forget sometimes, that Isabella Marie Swan was in fact human; a rather stupid nosy human who cares too incredibly much about the affairs the damned.

“Do you-do you want to come in?” Bella asked hesitantly.

I looked between her and Edward, taking a moment before coming to a decision.

“I- Yeah. If that’s alright.”

Bella nodded, giving me a smile once again and led the three of us inside. I followed Edward and I knew he could feel my stare on his form but I dared not to waver my gaze. I had to understand why he did this, why he decided to act so irrationally before I blew up at him for his behavior.

Bella led me to a chair and forced me to sit as she grabbed some alcohol swabs and a roll of bandages. I was confused by her actions but when she placed it on my arms; I let out a gasp of pain. I had forgotten about the cuts left by Nyx when I was constraining her. The alcohol helped sooth the wound and soon enough, they began to heal properly. Wounds left by another one of the damned heal a little slower than necessary.

“Thank you.” I whispered to Bella while she wrapped my arms a white bandage.

“Do you want anything to drink?”

Bella’s timid voice rang out clearly in my mind. I shook my head, “No, it’s fine. You should rest Bella.” Her face gave signs of protest, “You’re carrying a half-breed vampire. You need rest. This child will drain you of your energy. You need as much rest as possible.” I took a quick glance at Edward and switched my sight back to Bella, “Go.”

Bella gave me an apprehensive glance but one stern look from Edward made her understand that she had no say in the matter. I wanted to speak with Edward and things will not be pretty. Bella was smarter than I gave her credit for as she took herself upstairs. Edward gave me an I’ll-be-back look and followed her.

I bit my lip and my eyes trailed down to the floor. Bella was pregnant. How was it possible? How was it that male vampires are able to produce fertile sperm? What good could possibly come out of this situation? After all, the war was coming. The Ancients, no the Volturi alone will do their best to tear Bella apart, something we desperately did not need. But how… How would we go about covering it up?

I rubbed my temples and threw my head back, sighing. We couldn’t. That was the only answer. We can’t keep protecting Bella or else we would be condemning everyone. Unless… Unless of course Edward turns her as soon as the child comes. The question now was… Would Edward be willing to condemn her?

Footsteps approached, coming down from the stairs to warn me of Edward’s looming presence. I knew the first thing we had to do was get out of this house. Bella would be fine, at least for now. We needed to get out of listening range so Edward and I can speak to each other properly without fear of any eavesdroppers.

I picked the keys out of my pocket, dangling them in front of Edward. His facial expression was completely impassive.

“Let’s go.”

Those were the last words I spoke that were exchanged when we got into the Spider and drove off. I wasn’t sure where to go but I just kept driving. Finally, I drove up to my own home, knowing Nyx would not be there, at least not for a long while. After I talk with Edward, I would go find her. I just hope she can last long enough until I reach her.

I opened the door, dropping the keys hastily and brought Edward into our sound proofed music room. Edward was slightly in awe at how we decorated the large room. I led him to the large couches we had situated at the back and sat him down. I locked the doors and slipped the key inside my pocket.

“Why?”

That was the first thing that came out of my mouth, breaking the silence between us. My tone was harsh, vicious even and hurtful. I spat the word out before I could even stop myself and try to use a gentler tone.

“Why did you do it?”

Edward didn’t reply and looked down at the floor. I narrowed my eyes at him.

“Are you a complete idiot?!” I asked rhetorically, not bothering to wait for an answer from him, “You are going to have both the Volturi AND the Ancients chasing down your stupid arse just because you decided; oh you’re going to fuck Bella just for the hell of it! I don’t think you even realize what kind of problems you just made for you, her and your child!”

My voice kept getting louder and louder. I had blatantly started yelling at him now.

“Do you know that Bella will have to die now?! DO YOU?! If she’s not going to die during the fucking process, she’s going to die trying! DO YOU WANT HER TO DIE?! You have just sealed her fucking life because if she doesn’t die trying to give birth to- to that child! She-” I groaned loudly in frustration, “She will have to be turned into a vampire.”

Edward’s head snapped towards me, his eyes pierced through mine but all I could see was red for his complete idiocy.

“Are you willing to turn her? Are you going to be the one to turn her?!”

He didn’t answer. My hands balled into fists.

“ARE YOU? Cause none of us… NONE OF US are going to lay a single fucking finger on her! We can’t keep fucking protecting her if you keep putting her into these situations over and over and over again! All of us want to protect her, to make sure we don’t screw her over just because human curiousity got the best of her and YOU couldn’t keep your damn mouth shut and leave her the fuck alone.” I lowered my voice, “Do you even want her to live?”

Edward snapped out of his reverie, “Of course I do!” He yelled.

“Then why?!” I demanded, “Why did you have to go and do this?”

He stood up angrily, running his hands through his already messy hair; he let out an aggravated cry and ruffled his hair again.

“I don’t know.” Edward sighed out, “I don’t know why I did that to her.”

He closed his eyes and sat back down, putting his head between his hands.

“What was going on through your mind when you decided to…” I trailed off, knowing he would get what I wanted to say.

“Nothing.” He began.

“Bullshit.”

I cut across him, he was going to tell the truth and he was going to tell the truth now.

“You love Nyx.” I said clearly, forcing him to look at me, “You know you love her. I know you love her, Jasper knows you love her and yet even though you knew, you went and did this?! How- how does your mind even work here?!”

Edward moved to speak but I wouldn’t let him.

“It’s one thing to do this to yourself, to do this to a girl you don’t even love… But another to do this to the girl that you do love.” I said, “It’s unfair to Nyx.”

Edward gave me a bitter look, “She doesn’t love me. She hates me. It means nothing to her.”

I became infuriated with his words.

“ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! Why the fuck would she kiss you back then?!” I screamed at him, determined to let him feel the wrath that Nyx would not have the heart to do, “Why the fuck would she care so much about this? Why the fuck would Nyx try and attack Bella just then?!”

I dropped the decibel of my voice a bit, panting harshly.

“Why the fuck would you think Nyx would hate you? She gives a damn about you more than she should considering you treat her like shit.”

Edward was about to protest, something I could not even understand how he could do, why he was fighting the truth.

“Don’t you dare say you’ve done nothing to her. Don’t you fucking dare say you were perfectly civil to her. You treat her like shit, telling her to leave, giving her filthy glares, and then suddenly you go about kissing her and then you knock Bella up.”

Edward felt so much grief that I couldn’t help but pity him. I knew I was about to betray Nyx’s trust but Edward had to understand the magnitude of the consequences of his actions. This was the only way I knew I could get him to understand. It was time Edward found out about Nyx’s past.

“Do you know what happened to Nyx when she was born?” I asked, “Do you?”

Edward shook his head, “Not really.”

“Knight Scathe and Loviise Hunt. Do those names ring a bell at all?”

Edward nodded, swallowing the grow pit at the bottom of his throat, “The Vampire king and the female werewolf who mated and were condemned to death by the Vampiric Council therefore starting the Werewolf/wolf vs. Vampire war.”

I took in a deep breath, “Yeah well… Those two are Nyx’s parents. Her blood parents.”

Edward stared at me, blank faced and astounded.

“The reason why the king and Hunt was killed was because they knew Nyx was being born and they wanted all of them dead, or at least Nyx. But since her parents refused for her to die, they saw that the only way to keep the rest of them safe was to kill all who stood in their way.” I explained, “Nyx had to see her parents die first hand and then she was killed, staked through the heart twice.”

Edward’s eyes grew wide, “But how-how is she alive then?”

“Do you remember when I let you see into my head?”

He nodded.

“Bison thinks that the actual Goddess Nyx has a soft spot for Ashnyx and wants her to find happiness or at least stop the war, that’s why she got reincarnated.” I did my best to tell him about Nyx, leaving out the little details just so he would understand why love was so important for Nyx to find, to experience and not all this heart ache.

“I’m the only family she has and she’s the only family that I have.”

I took in another deep inhale, “Do you get it now? Do you get why Nyx is so scared of this? Of you? It may not seem like it but this whole entire concept of love is so vague and absolutely foreign to her and she doesn’t get that she deserves to be happy. My whole entire life, I’ve just watched Nyx shut out everyone except me in the most discrete way. Hell, she shuts me out occasionally too.”

I lowered my gaze.

“You might think you’re scared… But to someone like Nyx who’s only known blood, fear and hate her entire life, I can only imagine how she truly feels.”

He didn’t look at me, unsure of what to say after I just revealed to him about Nyx. Edward stayed quiet and I knew I’ve said my part and it was time for me to wait, just wait for Edward to take his time and think of what to say. I couldn’t think of any other way to get him to slowly tell the truth to me and that was fine. I just wished Edward would admit the truth and be as fearless as Nyx wanted to be.

“I’m sorry.”

I felt completely discouraged and could not help but scoff and cross my arms.

“I’m sorry?! That’s the best you can do? I just betrayed my friendship with Nyx so I could help the both of you and-”

“YES I’M SORRY.” Edward shouted, cutting me off, “I’m sorry because I never thought about it this way, this logically. I just… I got too caught up in trying to… I don’t even know alright?!” He let out another aggravated cry, “I guess… I guess I did it to prove that I didn’t feel like this to Nyx, that I had some control over what I felt.” His golden eyes stared directly into mine, “You were right again. I’m a coward.” He dropped his head pitifully, “I’m an absolute coward and I don’t deserve anyone, especially not someone like Nyx. She can do better than me.”

I could not help but start to feel annoyed again. It was almost as if Edward was disregarding what I said.

“You still don’t get it do you?” I asked. My eyes were narrowed at him, I used the harshest tone I could muster to scold him, “She doesn’t want anyone else. She wants you! And god damnit, you want her back!”

“But I don’t deserve her! I won’t make her happy alright?”

“Really?!” I scoffed disbelievingly, “You’re going to act like a cliché and pull the oldest excuse saying you’re unworthy and crap? Man the fuck up.”

“I AM! I am by stepping back so she can find someone who deserves her!” roared Edward, knocking over the music stand Nyx used, “Like that red head friend of yours.”

I looked from him to the ground. Music sheets were scattered all over the floor, the music sheets that Nyx arranged for My Heart. I could only imagine how heart broken Nyx felt right now because even though I knew Jacob didn’t love me, at least I knew he cared. Having the guy you love knock up another girl despite all you’ve done for him and his friends is probably the biggest fuck you in the face.

Edward followed my gaze, landing on the music sheets. I turned my gaze back to him, watching him bend over and pick up the sheets. He shuffled them together, placing it in order and read it over. I could tell from the look on his face that he knew Nyx put this together and if he was as musically inclined as Alice said before, like Nyx and I, he would have the music playing in his head and he could just hear how beautiful she made the composition.

“She made it for you.” I told him when he finally looked back up to me, “She was going to sing this to you and tell you she loves you at the concert by singing that song to you.”

He was completely stricken with shock.

“It was why we even came over in the first place,” I continued, “She wanted to make sure you were there to listen. Now, I don’t even know if we’re going to do concert, play music, something that all of us have loved for so long.”

Edward fell backwards onto the couch, groaning. “I’m such a fuck up. I ruined everything.” He mumbled.

I had more than enough. “Will you get off your fucking pity party?! Edward, she wants you alright?! How many more times do I have to tell you? Simply being with you will make her happy!”

“So what do I do then?” his voice was weak and so was mine.

“Nothing.”

He wanted to cry, I could tell because I wanted to do that as well.

“There’s nothing you can do right now. You knocked up Bella.” I spoke quietly, “Any child who grew up without their parents will tell you that it sucks. Nyx will sacrifice herself again because she knows how it feels and she doesn’t want Bella to go through this alone.”

“Then why did you tell me all this?”

“Because you have to know. Because I don’t want you to keep hurting her.” I bit my lip, “Nyx is extremely important to me and you know that, she’s important to you too. At least now you know and hopefully… You know what to do soon enough without hurting anyone else anymore, especially you two and be happy. Just know that Nyx loves you and know that you love her back.”

I placed my hand on his shoulder, looking him straight in the eyes.

“You might not believe it Edward, but you deserve to be happy too.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay update. =3 I like writing Kari/Edward moments, such a nice sibling pairing and their relationship is really deep...

Thanks for the new comments and subscriptions! =3