Don't Let Morning Come

12:46

12:46 - Sweet Children

See a young girl so soft and blond
Doesn't attack me but she did
Once intoxications in her veins
Sweet young boy plays with her brains
Lydia'll bring to life
What are your chance not to oblige
Ability has now been ripped
Take it away, I'd rather sit
Sweet Children
Sweet Children
Sweet Children
Remember When?

I certainly wasn't a sweet child. My Dad used to say that there was nothing wrong with being bad, as long as you weren't caught. I wish the police did more to stop problems starting, rather that just catching people.
I'm lying here in the darkness now, willing time to stand still, willing the world to stop turning, because I'm not ready for what's going to happen in the morning. I've been trying to prepare myself for thirteen years, but I'm still not ready. I can't face it. Jakob has, he accepted things a long time ago. He wanted to take it without a fight, but I wouldn't let him. Our Dad accepted it, but he stopped caring about anything years ago. It's like he's not here anymore. I have another family in London, but they couldn't come with me today. I wouldn't let them.
I am alone now, and at the moment, I feel as though I will be alone forever. And I know whose fault it is. I hate you Frankito, I really hate you.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
After the incident with the window, Jakob swore to keep out of trouble. For a while, he kept his promise and frequently came top in class tests. His homework was always in on time, he was quiet and polite and never any bother. We still walked to school together, Jakob, Ramona, Stella, Frankito and me. We still took our time on Wednesdays, and the rest of us still detested Frankito. Even his sister Ramona said he was a show off and an idiot. He barely left Jakob alone, begging him to join him on the 'Wild Walks'.
The Wild Walks were something Frankito and his new, older friends had invented. They would start in an abandoned factory near our house, work their way towards the local shops, go by the old folk's home, and finish up at the bottom of Tight Wad Hill. Along the way they had to steal three items from thee different shops, smash a window, and write the rudest thing they could think of on a wall. Jakob never went, but only because I kept Frankito at a distance. Jakob and I were the best of friends at this point; I looked out for him, just as Ramona did for Stella, and had tried to do for Frankito. We were all inseparable. But then the dreaded day came for me and Ramona to move up to 'big school'. I was twelve at the time, which made Jakob and Stella ten, and Frankito eight. And I was desperately nervous about leaving them alone. My Mum said that Jakob and Stella had to stand on their own two feet sometime, but that time came far to soon for all of us. I wasn't ready to go off in a blazer to catch a train, leaving behind the glorious days of splashing in puddles and turning up for school lat, and soaked. Gone too, would be the traditional April Fools Joke played on Mr Cookson, the head master. One person was picked to carry out the prank, and it was the proudest moment of my life when it came my turn. I had to put itching powder in his 'Sports Day Shirt'. And on April 1st, when he strode out of the building to welcome the parents to sports day, all eyes on him, his face flushed deep purple. He began to scratch, hopping about like a monkey with fleas until one of the parents rescued him, found him a clean shirt, and stifled their giggles. It sure wasn't my Dad. He stood there howling with laughter, telling me it was the funniest thing since Uncle Tre climbed the Universal Studios sign. Jakob was favourite to play the joke this year, everyone said my brother would come up with something pretty spectacular.
"Cheer up Jakob" I said the morning I left for high school, "Maybe you'll get to do the April Fools joke this year"
Jakob managed a watery smile.
"You'll get to go to Crafton Castle too" I said, "You and Stella'll love that"
But both of us knew he wasn't going to have a good time if Frankito had anything to do with it. I pulled my new tie further up my neck as Stella came in. She too, didn't look happy at the thought of walking to school without me and Ramona.
"Frankito not here?" she asked, "That's good, we might get some peace"
I knew he would be there, with Ramona, any second. But I couldn't help hoping that Ramona would rush over alone, with the good news that Frankito had been taken away to boarding school. Of course it never happened, and Frankito arrived several paces behind his sister, clutching a paper bag filled with what looked like fireworks. He seemed to have got nastier over the holidays, his face now covered in scratches, his eyes glinting with evil. Ramona was looking nervously from him, to Jakob and Stella. Then she looked at me, and I knew exactly what was going to happen. So did my Mum, but she was powerless to stop it.
"Want to take the short cut?" Frankito asked Jakob, "We can go by Mr Alexander's jewellery shop, I always go in and say hello"
By eleven o clock that morning, my little brother Jakob had been arrested.

We visited him in prison that evening, me, Mum and Dad. He was all shaky and pale in the clothes they had given him, which were at least five sizes too large. I hated Frankito more when I saw Jakob. I knew whatever he'd done, wouldn't have been his idea, so why wasn't Frankito here as well? It might well have been a 'Young Offenders' prison, but everyone I saw was at least fourteen and towered above Jakob. I felt sick when I thought of him sharing a cell with three or four skinheads.
"I didn't mean it" he burst out the moment he saw us, "It wasn't my fault, honest"
At this point, I still had no idea what was happening, but I soon found out.
"Frankito wanted to go to the jewellers" Jakob told us, "So we went in. He was calling me a wuss and stuff, so I just followed"
"Where was Stella?" my Dad interrupted, "Don't tell me she's locked up as well"
Jakob shook his head and began to explain. And after twenty minutes or so of weeping and wailing, from both my Mum and Jakob, I had a pretty clear picture of what had happened.
Almost the moment they'd left the house, Frankito had started shoving Jakob and calling him a wimp. Stella had told him to shut up, but he'd just scoffed. Then he'd had the bright idea of nicking a fancy watch from Mr Alexander's. Stella had been left outside, but Jakob had been hounded and smacked until he agreed to be Frankito's accomplice. He was to snatch the watch and put it in his pocket, while Frankito distracted Mr Alexander by pretending to fall over and hurt his ankle. But it went horribly wrong. Mr Alexander happened to turn around, and saw Jakob hastily stuffing the watch into his pocket. He had grabbed him, called the police, and Jakob was taken away. Frankito had scarpared.

I went round to the jewellers after visiting Jakob, to tell Mr Alexander what really happened. He was very nice, and he took me through the back and made us both some tea. And he listened while I told the whole sorry story.
A week later, Jakob was released from the young offender's prison. Apparently, the charges had been dropped suddenly. My Uncle Tre heard from Mr Alexander what really went on, and he went nuts. Frankito was grounded for months, so we avoided him for a while. Tre started driving Frankito to and from school as well, which made Stella and Jakob's lives a whole lot easier. That was our second victory over Frankito, but it was to be one of the last. We had no idea just how nasty he would become.