Our Last Night

You Were Calling My Name When Your Face Faded From

A flat square object was projected from the crowd of a hundred or so fans and landed right in front of my feet. My eyes scanned the audience trying to find who had nearly made me face plant. I searched until my gaze met with a familiar pair of eyes that I will never forget. I picked up the item at my feet and studied it carefully. I blinked a couple times focusing my eyes on the harsh letters scrawled across the translucent neon CD case. The words "SCREW YOU," were etched delicately in the clear plastic front. At that moment I realized what specifically I held in my hands. It was our playlist. Shoot, what did I do? I thought to myself as I was shoved forward probably by Nick.

"Dude what's the matter?" Kevin asked once in the safe atmosphere of our car. I have yet to tear my glance from the memory sitting in my hands.
"What? Oh, Rora was there," I said quietly.
"Why didn't you go find her?" Kevin asked suspicious now.
"She threw this at me," I sighed rolling my eyes and holding out the case towards them.
"She-" Nick had started.
"Yes, she threw this at me. Too bad she missed my face," I rolled my eyes sitting farther back into the seat.
"What happened between you two?" Nick questioned.
"Nothing, I don't know…That's just it. I thought we were doing fine," I stumbled through my thoughts trying to piece something, anything together.
"Call her," Kevin suggested.
"And say what?"
"Well I don't know but if she's going to end it like that then maybe…" Nick trailed off, "Maybe it wasn't ever supposed to be."
"That's just it, she obviously didn't end it. I did something wrong," I announced.
"Like what? What could you have possibly done wrong Joe?" Kevin asked trying to cheer me up. Sorry but newsflash try being nicer.
"Crap, crap, crap no…" I muttered as recent events spiraled into my mind.
"What Joe?" Nick asked but his voice barely made it through my thoughts as I scrolled through the news stories on my phone. Pictures of Taylor Swift, Selena Gomez, Nick, Kevin and I leaving a restaurant late after a concert but of course they didn't show much of Kevin; only Taylor and me.
"That? Rora can't possibly think that you'd cheat, could she?" Kevin questioned.
"I. don't. know."
"Wait that doesn't make sense you were solid. Calling and texting all the time, right?" Nick pushed.
"Well…I guess when I think about it. Lately I've been distant not calling a lot and my texting has gone down," I sighed making the realization that I screwed up; big time.
"But we've been busy," Nick tried to console me.
"We've had a week off and usually have at least two a week," I rolled my eyes.
"You need to call her. Work it out," Kevin suggested.

"Hey this is Valora; I'm not here right now so leave a message. And oh yeah screw you JJ," her voice said with bitterness rippling off her every word at the end.
"Rora please, please, please; just listen to this message. I know that those pictures look bad and that the rumors don't help. I would never ever do that to you; not in a million years. I don't know why I've been so distant but that's not it. Taylor and I are friends and nothing more. Please call me back," I spoke into my phone once we reached the hotel. Sighing I shut it and leaned backwards onto my bed. Suddenly my phone started blaring making me jump.

NEW EMAIL
Rora wrote:

Yeah, yeah cheery greetings; whatever…Listen Jonas, I've put up with some of your dumbest crap but this- all of this has to be the stupidest thing. Seriously, you think I don't freaking trust you? After what the nearly two years we've been together. The Taylor thing is fine, not even a problem. It's you that's the problem right now Joe. I don't have a problem with you being gone all the time. Sure whatever it's hard but I can deal. Except you've been a real flipping jerk lately and I don't have to put up with that. I don't need to put up with you. I'm not yours, I'm mine. I'm tired of your crap, your bull responses, and you just being a jerk. Have you realized that in the last I don't know, month- that you haven't asked me once how I was? Not even a mere, 'how's it goin'?' Nope I can't even call what we do small talk because it's never two ways. I have so much that I could have been doing these last few months than being ignored and treated like crap by my boyfriend. Did you know I got signed? I bet you didn't because you never ask, you're never there. Kevin and Nick both know, since they actually talk to me. I'm beyond done with you right now. Do I still care for you? Of course I do. Don't I care that I'm hurting you? Of course I do, this right now is tearing my heart apart piece by piece. I have to do this because I've been sitting in a corner being hurt waiting for you for the past couple months, Joe. Do I still love you? Yes obviously I'm still madly in love with you and I'll always love you but right now I don't think you can handle a girl and the chaos of your career. I have a career to build now Joe and I want to do that because I want to be happy for the first time in a long time. Your dream has come true, Joe and that's all I want is for my dreams to come true. Joe, I want you to be happy too and I don't think I'm giving you that.

You know that I'll always love you, even if I'm not in love with you. I'm always here when you need me but right now I just need to work things out. I'm sorry I did this all via email but I didn't want to pour salt in the wound by making you listen to me cry my freaking eyes out.
--Valora.

I tried blinking my wet eyes away but all that did was make tears stream down my face. My heart was broken obviously, but what hurt the most was that her heart has been breaking. Just one slow breaking and it was all me. I did it, I've been hurting her. I drove her to write that message. It's on me. I made my way to the main room but not before shoving my fist into the nearest pillow once or twice.

"Hey Joe- what's wrong? What happened?" Nick asked worried.
"We're done. I screwed her over and broke her heart," I sighed running a hand through my hair.
"Kind of…but it's not your fault. Sometimes things just don't work out," Nick said trying to make me feel better.
"Sure, sure, I'm going for a run."