Status: Complete. Deleted scenes posted 12/12/12!

He Comes in Peace

Chapter Thirteen

The half-concealed rays of the sun filtered in through the windows of Skye's bedroom, and she groaned when her groggy mind picked up speed and told her it was morning.

Immediately, a rush of images and thoughts poured back into her head, so much more than usual that she clutched her head and groaned at the upcoming ache.

"Kartayon," she grunted quietly.

A face popped up beside her bed, and she met a pair of big luminescent eyes. They blinked once, and a voice said,

"Yes?"

Skye hadn't meant to call his attention to her; she had only said his name to confirm the fact that her thoughts weren't complete bogus.

"Oh, nothing. Well, I mean...Good morning," she replied faintly, fiercely rubbing her eyes.

"Good morning to you, too," Tay answered politely.

Skye sat up on her bed, trying to ignore the fact that he was still looking intently at her, like one would do when listening to one's role-model give a speech.

Before she could get herself out of bed, a knock sounded at the door, and she jumped.

She snapped her fingers at the boy sitting on the floor by her bed, and gestured for him to proceed up the wooden stairs to her small loft.

"Skye? Are you up yet? We're leaving in an hour," Mrs. Cedona called through the wood.

"Yeah, I'm up."

Skye waited until she heard her mother's footsteps go down the stairs, past the creaky floorboard at the bottom, and into the squeaky linoleum of the kitchen.

"Tay? Tay!" she said in a loud whisper.

He cautiously poked his head down the trap door and looked at her.

"Come on! Get ready; we're leaving soon."

"What do you propose I do? I have no belongings to pack; I have nothing to prepare." He jumped down from the attic and landed softly on the floor, gazing about with his hands spread out.

"Oh, that's true. Well...Try thinking up a plan. How am I going to get you into the car without my mom noticing? And even if we can get that far without being caught, where in the car are you going to be? The trunk?" she cried, having a sudden bout of worry and regret.

"Please do not sound so distressed. I could hold on to the bottom of your car," he suggested, unaware of the crazy looks Skye was shooting him.

"Um, no, I don't think so. It's a pretty long drive back to our house."

"All right then; what should I do?"

"I don't know! Keep thinking!" Skye leaped up from her mattress and practically flew about her room, collecting anything and everything in sight. She had a tendency to organize things whenever she was feeling anxious or nervous.

"Despite your sarcastic tone when you suggested that I hide in the trunk of your car, I would say otherwise. It is a splendid idea, Skye," Kartayon said pleasantly.

"You'll suffocate in there!" she exclaimed, throwing a bunch of quickly folded clothes into the duffel bag she always brought with her.

"Clearly you know naught the abilities of my people. I shall be fine in the trunk of your car," he said stubbornly.

"Okay, sure, let's say you will be fine in the trunk for two hours. How are we going to get you in there?"

"Simple. You just open the trunk, and I shall merely climb in and-"

"No, no! I meant the procedures we go through before you get into it. Of course I know how you climb into something!" Skye snapped.

Kartayon looked bewildered at her fiery impatience. "You seem to be frustrated, from my limited knowledge of human behavior.

"No! I just...Ugh, just keep brainstorming," she huffed.

"Brainstorming?" He raised a dark eyebrow and tilted his head.

"Yes, like...Thinking of ideas. That's what brainstorming means." In flew her toiletries and other necessities, piled neatly next to her clothes.

"My, what odd sayings you Earthlings have..." Tay murmured in wonder.

"Yeah, tell me about it. Come on, aren't aliens supposed to be unnaturally smart?!" The words came out more mocking and sharp than she intended.

Kartayon seemed to note her tone and his head snapped to look at her. His gaze was frying her from the inside out, and she nearly jumped out of her skin.

"I hope you will take that back."

Skye was speechless, and uttered a few choked words, before Tay relaxed and shook his head.

"Forget I said anything."

The tension released Skye and Kartayon reluctantly, and the girl turned and continued packing, now much slower and carefully.

"We could always try distraction," she said softly, not looking up from the depths of her bag.

"Distraction...You will divert your mother's attention, and I will proceed to the trunk of your car?" Tay asked, waiting for confirmation.

"Yeah."

"I foresee a problem. Where are you going to put your bags and whatnot?"

"Oh, that's right. In the trunk."

Kartayon nodded slowly, and then paused. "Perhaps you could convince your mother otherwise? Say it would be easier to place your bags in the backseat of the car, instead of the trunk? I am predicting you will sit in the front seat."

"Um, that's a good idea. But no, I sit in the back."

"I sense an explanation that is not appropriate for me to ask for?" he said gently.

Skye looked up in surprise and nodded slowly. "How did you know?"

"And that is an explanation I cannot give without a train of information you would not care to comprehend."

She nodded quickly in response and zipped up her duffel bag. "I'm ready to go. Are you hungry? I could pack some food right now for you to eat in the, er, trunk."

"No, that is all right. Thank you, though."

"Okay. I'm going downstairs. Once you hear my mom's voice in the kitchen, go down the stairs and out the door, got it? My mom shouldn't see you, but hurry, okay? And remember to go quietly...Like 007."

"Pardon?"

"Double-oh-seven. Y'know...The James Bond type?"

"What?"

"Oh never mind. Just go quietly," she mumbled, shaking her head.

"All right. Good luck, Skye."

Skye nodded and bit her lip.

Everything was set to go; now all that was left to do was, well, sneak an alien to her home behind her mother's back.

-x-

Skye tapped nervously on the back of the driver's seat. Her mom glanced in the rear-view mirror at her in concern.

"What's wrong, Skye?"

"Nothing." Her voice squeaked very noticeably, but Mrs. Cedona shook her head and ignored her daughter's behavior.

Skye blew out a slow breath of relief, careful not to make it too loud for her mom to notice.

Kartayon was successfully hidden in the trunk of their car, and they were halfway through their plan already.

So far, so good.
♠ ♠ ♠
Long chapter. Hope you enjoyed that, loves!

I was in Seattle over the weekend, so there's my explanation for the hold on updates.