Status: Complete. Deleted scenes posted 12/12/12!

He Comes in Peace

Chapter Twenty-Two

The ground was unsteady beneath Kartayon’s feet. But he kept running, claws scraping th concrete ground, flying past cars and passer-bys so fast they only had a chance to look at his backside, and at Skye, who was clinging on for dear life.

Skye really thought they were going at several miles per hour. The speed of which they were going at certainly made her quite sick and nauseated.

It was impossible for either of them to speak, so they didn’t; not until Kartayon stopped, hoping that they had put enough distance between them and the ECI.

Tay lowered himself onto his back legs, letting Skye slide off uneasily. When he had gotten a good look at her face, and come to the conclusion that green was not a normal skin colour, he immediately slung her over his shoulders again, escaping into the forest grounds they had stopped next to.

“Are you all right now, Skye?” he asked gently, carefully placing a hand on her back.

Skye wiped her mouth, turning away from the mess she had made on the grass. “I guess so…I’ve never, er, ridden anything that fast.” When she gathered that ‘ridden’ was not exactly a good word to use, judging by Kartayon’s face, she corrected herself and said weakly, “I’ve never had anyone carry me and run that fast before.”

Kartayon nodded, also turning away from the mess. “I presume you would like to rest for the day?”

Skye nodded, and the two of them spent the better part of the evening finding a safe and sheltered hiding spot.

-x-

“This is amazing. You could be a Girl Scout leader,” Skye said in awe, dazzled by the camp Kartayon had, in his words, ‘jumbled together in a hurry’.

Their tent looked like jungle heaven, the branches on the roof the straightest in the forest, the leaves attached to the branches glossy and squeaky clean.

“What is a Girl Scout?”

“It just means that you’re really fit for forest life,” Skye amended, smiling. “Can I go in?”

Kartayon tilted his head to the side. “Why do you think I built our temporary home?”

Skye smiled and stepped inside, bumping against the walls by accident. Her hands shot out to hold the thicker branches in place, but she had no need for worry. They held fast and stable, stuck securely into the soft ground.

“Oh, this looks comfy.” Skye sat down on a blanket of moss, running her hands along the ground. When there was no answer from Kartayon, Skye poked her head outside. “Aren’t you coming in?”

Kartayon, who was now kneeling on the ground next to a tree, shook his head. “I am accustomed to, as you say, ‘forest life’. I shall spend the night outside…’Keep guard’, I think, is the right phrase?”

Skye nodded, frowning. “Are you sure?”

“I built this hut for you, Skye. I have no need for a roof over my head. Not on Quetz, not anywhere. I will be far more comfortable out in the open where I can see the sky and the stars.”

There was a short pause, during which Skye still gazed at Kartayon, and Kartayon gazed at Skye.

“Sky…Skye. Why are you named Skye?”

“I don’t really know. I’m not named after the sky—I mean, S-K-Y, if that’s what you’re thinking. My mom just thought it was a good name, I guess.”

“No particular reason? Are you sure, Skye?”

“Yes. Why are you named Kartayon? I think from the confused look on your face that all Quettles are named with a reason.”

Kartayon nodded, smiling. “My name means something in our language.”

“Really?” Skye climbed out of the hut and sat down at the entrance. “What does your name mean?”

“Do you remember when I told you the story of Quetzalir?”

Skye nodded.

“Kartiyn ina Galxan, guae zi yonei ina Geiqarth ryk un. That was what Quetzalir spoke of the moment before he died. Kartiyn means spirit. Does Kartiyn sound a little like my name?”

Skye nodded again, this time with her eyes wide. “Spirit? That’s what your name means?”

“Not just spirit. Yonei means hearts. Kartayon means spirit-heart.”

A chilly feeling washed over Skye when he finished speaking. She shivered slightly and blinked, wondering why goosebumps just raised themselves on her arms. “That’s amazing, Tay.”

A thought occurred to her. “What does Tay mean, then?”

“Tay has no meaning in my language.”

“Oh.”

Kartayon nodded, lying down on his back.

“Do you miss Quetz, Kartayon?” Skye asked quietly.

“Of course. That is another reason why I would like to stay outside for tonight. It would have been impolite to ask if I could sleep in your yard when I was residing in your home.”

“I’m sorry if my room wasn’t that nice, my mom always tells me to—“

Kartayon waved a hand. “No, do not apologize, Skye. It would have been the same with any other human home.” He paused, sighing slightly.

Skye watched as a saddened expression crossed his face, a first for Kartayon. “I would pay a great price to go back home.”
♠ ♠ ♠
-shields self from bombardment-

Finally churned out another update. A second shall follow this one TODAY. That's right, TODAY.

*EDIT: I keep forgetting to put up banners. I received this one a while ago.

Image
Thank you to KissTheStarsWithMe for this amazing banner!