Status: Complete. Deleted scenes posted 12/12/12!

He Comes in Peace

Chapter Twenty-Four

Skye held her breath as she pushed open the door of their lake house. Before entering, she had just discussed the horrors that waited inside for them.

Kartayon had shaken his head, seemingly exasperated. "Skye. I one hundred percent guarantee that there is no danger waiting inside for you. I should be more concerned about my well-fare, not you."

But Skye had nagged and huffed and argued until finally, losing it, she started throwing leaves at him.

This seemed to work, for Kartayon sighed, brushed the tid-bits of plantation from his hair. "If it will stop your insistent arguing and childish attitude, then I shall scour your lake house. Now are you content?"

Skye smiled and nodded, though she felt nervous. She hoped to God that no ECI members were hiding in there, waiting to ambush them.

Kartayon sensed her increased apprehension, and stepped forward, crouching low. He made sure that his spikes did not raise themselves. His scales stood on end, and his features morphed slightly; he now looked slightly feline.

Silent as a shadow, he pushed open the door, sliding it carefully, but to no use. The door squeaked and made an irritating noise. Kartayon growled softly. He proceeded forward, measuring his steps and stepping quietly.

Though he didn't tell Skye to stay put, she stood there, immobile as a stone column. She watched Kartayon inch slowly into the kitchen, the front of his shirt almost brushing the ground as he lowered himself even further.

"Be cautious..." Skye whispered. His ears pricked slightly, and he crept through the house silently like a police hound.

When he returned, he was on two legs, face back to looking human, and a peaceful expression on his face. "There is nothing suspicious. Let us go inside now, Skye."

-x-

Thunk. Thunk. Thunk.

Skye watched Kartayon play with Cosmo's metal food dish. Skye had gone over to the Gardner's place to retrieve her dog, to their confusion. She explained things as best as she could, forcing herself to make up a story on the spot.

The Gardner's were satisfied with her answer, and smiled, asking where her mother was.

Skye's heart rate increased, and she returned the smile, though weakly. She had never been a good liar. But perhaps they wouldn't notice. The Gardner's were a pair of elderly people; their sons and daughters had long moved out of the country.

"My mom just sent me here to pick up Cosmo," she said.

They won't know if we're still in the lake house or not...They won't break into it, and we didn't drive a car here, anyway, so they can't tell.

"Oh, all right. How did you arrive? Do you need a ride home?" Mrs. Gardner asked, the corners of her eyes crinkling as she smiled at Skye.

Despite the fact that Skye was lying for very, very good reasons, she still felt guilty looking at Mrs. Gardner.

"No, that's all right. I'll just catch a bus. Thank you for taking care of Cosmo!" Skye waved and pasted a smile on her face as she led a leaping and barking Cosmo back to their lake house.

Kartayon had been sitting upstairs in Skye's room, thinking about God knows what. The minute he heard Skye open the door of the house again, he was downstairs, his hand resting gently on the railing of the staircase.

Cosmo spotted him standing there and instantly went into a frenzied fit of barking and whimpering. Tay looked at Skye.

"What?"

"Why have you brought your dog here?"

Skye felt ruffled by his seemingly plain question. But she knew Kartayon would never ask such an obvious question unless it would lead to a logical and most often head-aching complication.

"Well, I can't just leave him at the Gardner's, right? Since we're here, I thought it'd be nice to have Cosmo around." She glanced at him carefully. His eyes seemed to burn a bright, cat-like yellow.

Kartayon was rubbing his temples, the crease deepening between his eyebrows as he sighed in frustration, eyes closing. When he opened them again, they were back to their liquidy-greenish yellow.

"Did you think ahead when you made the decision to retrieve your dog from the neighbors?" he asked in a forced calm tone.

"Well...You didn't tell me not to go."

"Skye, let us be clear. You did not say that you were bringing your dog back here! I presumed that you would have had enough sense to leave your dog be!" Kartayon regarded Cosmo with a slightly angered gaze.

Skye tugged on Cosmo's leash and the dog growled, shuffling closer over to Skye. "Don't look at him like that, Tay!"

Kartayon turned the same gaze to Skye. "Who do you think you are, to tell me not to 'look at him' like that? His life is not at stake, and quite truthfully, neither is yours! You easily forget that this is not a vacation away from school. This is reality."

In despair, Skye rubbed her eyes and searched for the proper answer.

"I'm sorry I brought Cosmo back here. I'll take him back to the Gardner's."

Kartayon looked livid. "Back to the Gardner's? Are you sane? Taking him back to your neighbors will raise even more suspicions. I presume that you had trouble telling them a sensible story?" he asked, looking at her skeptically.

"I-I...I had a hard time covering up."

"Then would it not be even more difficult if you tried to send Cosmo back?"

"Yes."

"I am glad we have reached a level of understanding." Tay nodded silently and walked slowly to their living room, sinking down into the arm of the Cedona's sofa.

"Um...What now?"

Kartayon closed his eyes and breathed deeply before responding. "What do you mean?"

"Are we going to stay here...Or move on, or something?"

"The best decision would be to part ways-"

"No."

"-yet I do not think you would be happy about that." He inclined his head at Skye, who had joined him in the living room.

"So what's the plan?"

"The plan? The plan is to have a good night's rest for today."

Skye scanned him over. "You do look tired."

"Not just look, Skye. I feel tired as well."

"Then...You'll stay home?"

His eyes flickered open. "I am presuming you wish to leave your home?"

Skye bit her lip and nodded sheepishly. "I want to go out and get some groceries." When Kartayon continued to look at her disbelievingly, she sighed. "All right, I want to get some clothes, too."

He bolted upright. "We are in an inter-galactic crisis and you would like to go and purchase clothing?" he asked incredulously.

Skye shook her head wildly.

"Please, Skye, do not try and deny the idiotic wish you have just spoken of!"

"No, it's not like that!" Skye pleaded, shaking her head so furiously that Kartayon stopped to listen to her. Now that she had his attention, she felt nervous saying it.

"I...I want to get some clothes...For you."
♠ ♠ ♠
Update...Eighteen days after. -sighs- Sorry, those very few readers left.