Internally Bound

Tournament

I woke up to the sweet smell of homemade bacon, eggs, and coffee. It was a delightful scent in my nose, and I was so comfortable I didn't feel like getting up at all. I snuggled closer to my blanket, inhaling the comforting smell.

After what felt like five or ten minutes I stretched and got up. I walked sleepily to the kitchen where I found Al leaning over the stove, scrambling eggs. I felt somewhat guilty he was cooking for me.

"You don't have to make me food," I said. "I can make myself something if you show me where everything is."

Al turned around and smiled as he teased, "I don't mind. Besides, we wouldn't want a repeat of what happened last time, do we?" He stared at my hands. I grimaced. "Sit down. It's almost done."

I did as he said, the chair at the table cold against my legs. If I knew I'd be sleeping over here I would have brought a pair of sweats, instead of sleeping in my tight skinny jeans. I shivered.

"Sorry. The heats not really working, so it gets really cold at night and stays that way throughout the morning." He set a plate of food down in front of me.

"Peachy," I muttered, rubbing my hands together in attempt to warm them. "Thanks; it looks good."

"You're welcome."

Just as I was picking up my fork I heard a dog bark. I set my fork down. "You have a dog?" I asked skeptically. In all the years I've known Allen, he never seemed much like a dog person at all.

I was lying on my bed looking up at the ceiling, staring at the cracks, thinking, just thinking. Suddenly Allen's face popped up as he looked down at me, blocking me view of the ceiling.

"Hey there," he said. "Whatcha doin'?"

I shrugged. "Daydreaming I guess you could call it."

"You know, your birthday is coming up in a few days. Have any idea what you want?"

"Yeah...Actually, I was thinking about getting a dog."

He smiled crookedly at me and wrinkled his nose. "A dog? Why would you want one of those? They're loud and messy and just such a handful."

"Well I think they're cute," I said. I blew air in his face. He staggered back and laughed.

"Well I think they're all just annoying pigs with hair," he muttered.


Allen seemed chagrined, as if he remembered too. "Yeah, well, he kind of grew on me"

"He?"

"Puddles, my dog."

"You named him Puddles?" I asked. "Why?" I laughed.

"Because he likes to play in the puddles outside after it rains."

I shook my head. "Just when I think you're no different than when I last saw you, you do something totally un-you!" Then my stomach growled and I realized that I hadn't even touched my food yet. I picked my fork back up and started scarfing down the cooled off eggs. I groaned. "And you're also a good cook! When did that happen?" I teased. I put some bacon in my mouth. I sighed with pleasure.

And the whole time Allen just stood next to his fridge sipping slowly on his coffee while watching me with a highly amused expression.

The dog--I mean, Puddles--started barking again.

Allen put down his mug. "I should probably take him out." He walked down the hallway and a few moments later he came back with a shaggy, small black dog in his arms. "Say hello, Puddles." The dog barked and I laughed. "Okay, I'll be right back," he said as he shut the front door behind himself.

I smiled to myself and finished my breakfast. When Allen still wasn't back yet I decided to look at the newspaper. Of course, newspapers usually held 0% of my interest, I just needed something to occupy my eyes while I thought.

But as my eyes scanned the front page something certainly did hold my attention. I looked closer with undivided attention.

BLOODY DIE TOURNAMENT
Starting April 10th is the experience of a life time! The champion of the game itself, Diamond Dice, is hosting a tournament. To enter, please call the number below....


Just then Allen walked in the door. I put the newspaper down quickly and got up out of my chair to put the dishes away.

"I'm just going to let Puddles run around in the backyard for a bit," he said a little breathlessly like he'd just been running himself.

"Okay," I said. I took the liberty of pouring myself some coffee and sitting back down. I pushed the newspaper farther away from me slowly.

"What's this?" Allen asked, grabbing for the newspaper.

I shrugged a little too nonchalantly. Of course though, like most times, I didn't fool him.

"Synn," he groaned as he read the article on the front page. "You're not thinking of joining this are you?" he asked, holding it up.

I looked down. "I don't know what you're talking about," I murmured.

"You haven't changed one bit, have you?"

I frowned at my cup of coffee.

"God, it's like you're obsessed or something. You know I don't approve of the game anymore."

"I don't see why you're making such a fuss," I mumbled quietly. "You're the one who taught me the game when I was ten."

"That's different. I taught you a different version of the game that was appropriate and safe for kids. It just so happens that you picked up on the version older teens and some adults play." He shook the newspaper in my face. "I'm not letting you call in and join." He stuck the paper in his back pants pocket.

"Oh come on!"

"I'm not coming on. It's a violent and deadly game. It's like playing with fire; it's dangerous." He started towards the front door. I followed.

Fire? "Hey, that's funny, coming from you."

That was the night the biggest storm in seventy years hit the small town of Mulvane, Kansas. All the lights in my house went out. It was pitch black from it already being nighttime so I couldn't see anything. I fumbled around blindly for a flashlight. Dory ran into me crying.

"S-Syvanna!" she wailed, gripping my leg tightly.

"Don't worry, Dory, I'm right here," I told her. It was silent except for the pouring rain outside hitting the roof and the wind pushing the tree next to our house through the window.

Dory screamed and I jumped. The gust of wind came in through the shattered window and made a bunch of papers on the living room desk fly around us.

"Over here," someone said loudly.

"Allen!" I rejoiced in a shaky voice. I pulled Dory to my side and I slowly and carefully made my way to the eighteen-year-old boy. When we got close enough Allen pulled me onto his back and scooped Dory up into his arms just as another window shatter, this time in the kitchen.

Allen quickly but cautiously ran down the stairs into the basement. He set us down and though I could barely see anything, I knew he was moving around quickly trying to find something. It sounded like he opened a box. He took something out and then all of a sudden there was a snap of fingers and a glow of light.

He had lit a candle.

"Hold this," he said. He got more candles out of the box and setting them around us.

"What is he doing?" Dory asked me.

I shushed her. When there were no more candles in the box, Allen clapped his hands twice and all the candles around us were lit. It was as if we were in a ring of flames.

Dory started to cry again. "Shhh, shhh...it's gonna be alright," I repeated to her.

"I w-want M-M-Mommy!" she said through her tears. But of course, our parents weren't here. They were invited to a little get-together at the Wilson's. They put Allen in charge of us here. I hoped they were safe.

I looked over at Allen, whom was turned away from us, sitting on the hard cement ground. He was staring intently at the fire.

I put my hand on his back. "Thank you," I whispered into his ear.


We were outside now. Puddles came running at us barking.

"I am not a child anymore, Allen," I told him sternly. "Whatever I do, it's my choice. You don't need to look after me anymore."

He just grunted.

"The only reason why you looked after me in the first place was because you were friends with the family and my parents asked you to look after me. But they're dead now, so you can just stop what you're doing. I'll be fine--"

He cut me off by spinning on his heels to face me with a livid expression. "You think I only watched over you because your parents asked me to?" he said through clenched teeth.

"Wasn't it?" I countered.

"No! You don't get it, do you? I took care of you and protected you, Syvanna, because I like...you..." His hard expression faded quickly and the blood drained from his face.

"What?" I asked.

He turned his head away from me and his cheeks turned a bright pink. "Nothing."

I took advantage of the distraction and reached around him to grab the newspaper.

"Hey!" he said and tried to stop me but it only resulted in us falling over. I struggled on top of him. He kept his grip on my wrists.

"Let me go!" I snapped. Puddles barked some more.

Suddenly Allen was laughing. He let go of me and closed his eyes, still laughing. I didn't move though. Instead, hysterical giggles started escaping my mouth. We stayed there for a while, laughing like complete idiots.

Finally, I sighed and rolled off of his chest so I was now beside him. "I don't want to fight with you, Al."

"I know," he sighed.

"I'm sorry."

"I know."

"It was uncalled for."

"I know."

I chuckled lightly and smacked the up side of his head. He turned his head in my direction and smiled widely. That's when Puddles came over barking frantically. He jumped on Allen and started licking his face.

I laughed even louder.

"Oh shut up," he said, grinning. "You're just jealous."
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm just gonna clear up some things that I might have missed.

First, I am not mentioning what year it is. Just think of the story taking place in another world. Sorta. Second, Synn is 20 and Allen is 25. And third, people nowadays have developed powers (which is basically how they play Bloody Die). Not everyone, but most. A majority of people have the power over electricity/lightning or fire. And only a couple have the power over other elements.

Hope that clears up some stuff.