A Narrative They Said Didn't Matter

The Ship

The room was small, but I expected no more. There were small bunks pushed against one wall but that was the benefit of being short on that ship was that there was no bed too small for you. On the top bunk sat a girl slightly younger than me as she looked. Her hair was light but still brown and had large beautiful curls that framed her pale, lovely face. She looked up from the book she was reading and her eyes met mine.

“HI!” She nearly yelled jumping down from her bunk to greet me. She grabbed my hand and shook it like she had sipped too much sugar in her tea that morning. “I’m Teyah! I hope your my room mate. You seem nice already! Did you know this boat isn’t supposed to sink? I don’t think it really can be unsinkable do you? Oh! Do you want the top or bottom bunk?” she said all at once in just less than ten seconds.

I could think of no real reply at that moment other than a questioning look. She slowed down and asked each question waiting for a reply every time before asking a new one. I couldn’t help but like this new near friend as I would have some one to talk to now, that was my own age, and also a girl.....not the I didn’t mind Alexandre`.

Me and Teyah talked for hours about anything and everything that we could. We talked of her and her family who she was also going home to, and of how she liked seeing that she didn’t have some bitter old woman as her room mate. I shared her gratefulness and we laughed as it occurred to us how alike we really were.

A knock on our door brought us back to reality as we rushed to see who else we could draw into our conversation. Alexandre` stood at the door looking at us questioningly, as to ask where I had been for the past few hours. The ship had left the dock and we never noticed.

“You two all right to go get supper ‘bout now?” he asked sounding more like he needed company to talk to as well. We agreed and exchanged giggles as we all walked looking for where the food may be served. It took us an hour to find 3 boiler rooms and a room full of raw potato’s before we thought that it wouldn’t be on the same deck, then we raced off to get what was left of luke-warm supper.

The next few days were filled with conversation and walking over the ship exploring extra rooms. Others, even adults wondered sound, but they were always caught and sent off not to be sneaking around again. But the three of us were never caught. I felt like a decent sneak because of this fact. Not to mention the company made the whole affair more interesting.

Teyah didn’t get our family problem very well. “Wait,” she would start again. “So your family only pays attention to Alexandre` and you just do the chores?”

“Well, I’d like to think I am more than a servant to them....but I can’t be to much more.” I said truthfully.
“Then why do you try so hard for their approval?” she retorted skillfully. I was used to brilliant questions from Teyah, but this had never struck my mind. Why should I care about my family? They only have so much control over me anywise, and there was no way to meet their approval. I starred at Teyah in disbelief that she had thought that. It was too simple and yet something that has never been mentioned by anyone else.

We were looking at that moment for some one to imitate. It had been something to occupy our time. The three of us would go to the main deck and either act like the 1st class who usually thought we were servants, or act like the sailors, always joking around and playing childish games as we were.

Mrs. Durere was one of our favorite subjects. She was a tall, but plump,middle aged woman. She wore expensive fur coats where ever she went and had a little leashed dog that looked more like a squirrel. She walked with a straight back and good posture, but coincidentally her neck went up as if she would only look and speak with people taller than herself.

We didn’t like the way she treated us, or we would’ve been nicer, but she was oh so fun to imitate.
♠ ♠ ♠
heehee Teyah is a combination of lots of people I've met, but mostly my younger sister Daniele for her jitteriness