To Be Careless Is to Be Reckless

Chapter 11

Destiny

I was laying in my bes, silently cursing myself. I'd just crept back up to my room after 'overhearing' Mama and Aunt Hailey's conversation about Dad. Maybe bringing him here hadn't been such a good idea. Someone knocked at my door.

"Who is it?" I called.

"Your favorite brother!"

I rolled my eyes.

"Nick, you're my only brother."

"Exactly! Can I come in?"

"Be my guest."

He quietly and gracefully appeared in my room. Nick was always quiet. Quiet, thoughtful, and observant. I knew that he was here to talk. I sighed deeply.

"Pull up a chair."

He eagerly did so, getting as close to my bed as possible.

"So, let's just cut the small talk this time and get to it, hmm?"

He nodded.

"Why's Mom so upset?"

I twisted my lower lip in frustration.

"Because I upset her."

"How?"

"I brought someone over that she didn't want to see."

"Who was it?"

I sighed.

"His name is Frank."

Nick's brow wrinkled in thought for a moment.

"So... Dad's back, huh? And I'm guessing you left them alone. And something happened between them that Mom would've rather left undone. And now she's torn between two equally big feelings."

I stared at him, dumbfounded.

"I swear to God, Nicky, you should be a fucking psychic!"

He wrinkled his nose in disgust.

"God, Destiny, don't be so vulgar! That's such a gross word. Anyway, I'm not a psychic. I just pay very close attention, that's all."

I laughed and ruffled his hair.

"You crack me up, little brother."

I smiled sadly. He thought for a moment, brushing hair out of my face. You could always tell when Nick was thinking. His eyes kind of glaze over and his facial expression softens.

"Destiny, it'll be okay. Mom and Dad will sort this out themselves, but in their own time frame. You didn't do anything wrong. In fact, you probably helped them out. If you hadn't brought him here, they probably would have tried to avoid one another for the rest of their lives, not knowing what they missed out on."

I nodded.

"You're right, Nicky. You always are."

He shrugged.

"Of course I am. I'm Nick the Psychic, remember?
♠ ♠ ♠
Damn me to hell for fillers, ehh?

Well, something needs to be put in the middle to make up for bits of writers' block, right?

Ehh, whatever.

Just remember to comment and subscribe on the way out, 'kay? They make me happy. : D