To Be Careless Is to Be Reckless

Chapter 15

Lexi

"Frank, when are you going to realize that I'm always nervous around you?" I asked.

He stared into my eyes for a long moment, and then softly smiled.

"Awwh, baby, come here."

"Frank, don't. Please."

He gently shook his head, got up, and came around the bar.

"Come here," he said again, and took me into his arms.

I could feel my heart shattering again. I wrapped my around him tightly and started sobbing.

Frank stroked my hair and rocked back and forth.

"Frank, why? Why did you go back to her? Why?" I cried.

He then said what I'd always hoped he would've.

"I never did," he whispered.

"I only had love for you and our children."

I pulled away and looked at him.

"What do you mean? Frank, what are you saying?"

He sighed.

"I'm saying that Sara lied. I never saw her again after the one time."

"You mean to tell me... that the last time you saw Sara was almost 15 years ago?!"

I felt sick, dizzy, and about 2 seconds from passing out.

"Yes."

"Frank, why didn't you tell me? Why did you let the divorce go through?!"

He raked a hand through his hair.

"Alex, you didn;t trust me. You wouldn't have believed me anyway! I knew that I wasn't a good husband. I made you so unhappy. You were right to have divorced me."

I looked at him and saw the tears welling up.

"Frank," I began slowly,"Whether you were an alcoholic or not, I was happy just being with you. Do you still drink?"

He smiled and shook his head.

"No. I've been sober for eight years now."

"That's really good, Frank. I'm happy."

"Are you?"

I sighed.

"In some aspects, yes. I'm happy with my kids, my home, my work. Am I fully satisfied? No. I just wish that things could've been... different."

He nodded.

"I still love you as much as I did all those years ago, Lexi. That will never change."

"And I still love you just as much, too, Frank. But we can't just pick up from where we left off."

"And why not?"

"Frank, so much has changed. We're not who we used to be. Nothing's the same anymore.

"Alex, I only regret two things in my life. Cheating on you, and giving up on our marriage. I'll
be damned if I give up again."
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you liked. Next chapter, coming right up!

Comments, subscriptions, and all that jazz, please.