To Be Careless Is to Be Reckless

Chapter 4

Lexi

FLASHBACK

"Frank, we need to talk."

"Okay, Lex. Shoot."

I took a deep breath and gathered all of my courage.

"Frank, I want a divorce. This is too hard. It's not going to work."

"What do you mean, you want a divorce, Alexandra?"

"I mean, I want a fucking divorce! Can't you hear me? Am I not speaking clearly enough for you?!"

I was past my breaking point by now.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" Frank shouted.

I laughed bitterly. I seemed to be doing that a lot these days.

"What's wrong with me?! Why don't you ask your mistress what's wrong with me! Her and I had a very nice chat a few days ago."

Frank opened his mouth as if he wanted to say something, then closed it.

"That's right, babe. Bite back those lies. I've got you cornered. You and me? We're over. I can't believe I trusted you again! We're married, for Christ's sake! What about our children?! Don't we make you happy enough?"

Frank's eyes fell to his lap, tears filling them.

"I don't know what to say, Lexi. I was drunk."

My head and my heart were pounding.

"That's the thing, Frank. You're ALWAYS drunk! I'm tired of the smell of alcohol on you, driving you around, cleaning up all the cans and bottles. You don't even play with the kids anymore. Do you know what your daughter asked me the other day?"

He shook his head.

"She asked me if her daddy hated her. I hate that the word 'hate' is in my 5-year-old daughter's vocabulary!"

Tears streamed down Frank's cheeks.

"I know it doesn't mean anything right now, Lexi, but I'm honestly and truthfully sorry, for everything. You and the children don't deserve this. Give me a week, and I'll be gone. Send the d-... divorce papers to Gee, I'll sign them, and he'll get them back to you. I love you... I'm sorry. I wish you'd never met me. It would've saved you a world of pain and suffering."

With that, he kissed my forehead, grabbed his keys, and left.

I rarely saw him much after that.

And still... I didn't know the whole story.....

But I'm not really sure I want to.
♠ ♠ ♠
Wow.

I think I'm pretty satisfied with where this is going...

But right now I'm stuck on chapter 10.

I'm prolly gonna end up having to give Breanna a preview of it and ask for a bit of help.

That is, of course, AFTER chapter 9 is up and she's read it.

You willin' tuh help, Breanna? lol.

Comments and subscriptions are optional yet encouraged!!!!!!!!!

<333

:]]