To Be Careless Is to Be Reckless

Chapter 5

Destiny

"Say that again, please."

Mama sighed again.

"Honey, you heard---"

I cut her off.

"Mama, please. I just need to hear you say it again."

"That man you ran into today, Frank, is you father."

I closed my eyes and pictured him again. Black hair, hazel eyes, perfect teeth, half smile, nose ring, lip ring, tattoos... all made up the man I didn't care nor want to know.

"Do you... do you think he knew who I was?" I asked slowly.

"I'm pretty sure he did, sweetie. That's why you have his number."

"But... but what do I do now?"

Mama shook her head.

"That's not for me to say. It's entirely up to you now. You're old enough to make your own decisions."

"Should we tell Nick?"

"Well, he has a right to know."

I nodded.

"Well... I think I'm gonna go to my room."

Once in my bedroom, I pulled out the napkin with my... my father's number on it and looked at it. I carefully dialed it on my cell and hit 'send'. After two rings, he picked it up.

"Hello?"

"Frank?"

"Yes, this is he."

"Frank, it's Destiny."

"D-Destiny?! Uh, hi. I didn't... I wasn't... uhm, hi."

He sounded extremely nervous.

"So. We're finally talking. After 10 years, I run into you instead of driving over to your house. You realize how screwed up this is, right?"

"Yes, I do. Destiny, I just want to apologize for everything I've put you, your brother, and your mom through. I wasn't myself. I was an alcoholic. I'm sober now, and I want to get to know my children."

I scoffed.

"You shouldn't have to 'get to know' your kids. You should already know us."

"I know. I do. But can we try?"

I thought about it.

"Okay. We can talk, but just you and me first. If it doesn't work, we never tell Nicky. That way he doesn't get hurt."

"Great! Thank you so much, Destiny."

"You can call me Dessie if you want. Tomorrow, The Coffee Bean, 3 o' clock?"

"Perfect. I'll see you tomorrow... Dessie."

God, I hoped I wouldn't regret this.

What the hell am I getting myself into?
♠ ♠ ♠
:)

New chaptah, yo.

Hope you like.

Comments and subscriptions are a must. :]]

Sry. I'm in a weird mood. haha!