Ordinary Day

And as he spoke, he spoke ordinary words

“Okay, so like this is what you do.” Another volunteer, Natalie, was telling Albert and I what to do. She didn’t know Albert and didn’t really want to be there, “You give the people want they want. Okay?”
I covered my mouth and somehow disguised my giggle as a cough. I looked at Albert out of the corner of my eye and saw he was trying not to laugh. At least I wasn’t the only one.
“Okay, I know it might seem hard,” Natalie was explaining to us now, “But it’s really not. It’s actually pretty easy.”
Albert and I looked at each other and broke out in laughter.
“What’s so funny?” Natalie asked, looking hurt.
“Um, it’s just an inside joke.” I answered quickly, biting my lip.
“Can I be a part of it?” She asked, looking eager.
What the HECK? Who asks to be a part of someone else’s inside jokes?? That’s so weird.
“Um…” I started to say, but Albert interrupted me.
“Natalie, as much as we’d like to tell you we can’t.” He said, a sad smile on his face.
“Why not?” Natalie asked, looking even more hurt.
“Because, it’s a secret.” He said.
“I can keep a secret!” Natalie exclaimed, looking excited.
“Yes, but if we tell you, that means WE can’t keep secrets.” Albert said, with a shrug of his shoulders.
“Oh!” Natalie said, like she understood it, “Of course!”
“Well, Natalie,” Albert said, looking at his watch, “We’d better get to work.”
“It was amazing to talk to you!” Natalie screamed after us, waving her hand.
As soon as we were out of ear reach, Albert and I began to laugh again.
“We’re horrible people!” I gasped, tears coming out of my eyes as I clutched my stomach.
Albert was laughing so hard he couldn’t answer.
“Ahem.”
We gasped and looked up. In front of us stood a stern looking woman. Her lips were pursed and her arms crossed.
“Hi, Alia.” Albert said, looking nervous.
“Albert.” Alia said stiffly, “I had heard you were here. But I had heard you were here to HELP. Not to joke around with your little girlfriend.” She said, motioning to me.
“Sorry.” Albert replied quickly, taking my hand in his, “Where do you need us?”
“We need help serving the food, so go into the dining room.” She snapped as she turned around to walk away.
As soon as she was out of ear reach, we burst into laughter once more.
♠ ♠ ♠
ENJOY! :)